• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

It's hard to get a flawless OU team here...

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    Hey!
    This is my OU team. I haven't really experimented with OU much, but I do know my way around some things and think this team could work out.

At a Glance

In-Depth

Gengar @ Life Orb
    Levitate
    Naive (+Spd, -SpD)
    42 Atk, 216 Spd, 252 SpA
    - Thunderbolt
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Explosion
    I swapped this in from Rotom-W, as a recommendation. This thing works wonders, being able to OHKO or 2HKO most leads, and to splode at the end.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
    Natural Cure/Intimidate (Whatever's better)
    Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
    252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spd
    - Waterfall
    - Dragon Dance
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake
    I thought about using this instead of Starmie, since I get walled by Blissey and Starmie not seeming to fit whatsoever. This thing can take out the likes of Blissey with a DD and hopefully take out other threats with waterfall like Flygon

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
    Flash Fire
    Naive (+Spd, -SpD)
    4 Atk, 252 Spd, 252 SpA
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Explosion
    - Hidden Power (Grass)
    Your basic scarfed revenge killer. Mostly to outspeed major threats and to OHKO Blissey with Explosion.

Weavile @ Life Orb
    Pressure
    Jolly (+Spd, -SpA)
    40 HP, 252 Atk, 216 Spd
    - Swords Dance
    - Ice Shard
    - Low Kick
    - Night Slash
    Weavile is just an extra that seemed to fit, but I'm willing to change that for something else. SD up and kill from there.

Latias @ Leftovers
    Levitate
    Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
    128 HP, 252 Spd, 128 SpA
    - Calm Mind
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Recover
    - Hidden Power (Fire)
    This Latias is the Defensive CM set from Smogon. Not much I can say about this thing.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
    Magnet Pull
    Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
    172 HP, 84 Spd, 252 SpA
    - Substitute
    - Magnet Rise
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power (Ground)
    Magnezone is the Steel killer set from Smogon, with a twist. I'm running HP Ground over grass or ice to take out some other Steels like Heatran, Lucario and Metagross, if Heatran is out.

Changes:
    LO Gengar >>> Rotom-W
    Gyarados >>> Starmie

Conclusion:
    I'm thinking of changing Weavile out for something else like Scizor, to remove my Scizor weakness. I'm not sure about other threats, like Gyarados, or even Zapdos, but I'm thinking that Blissey can wall me, even with a OHKO with Heatran. I also know that i have a big MixApe weakness.

Last edited:
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I'm running HP Ground over grass or ice to take out some other Steels like Heatran, Lucario and Metagross, if Heatran is out.
    Heatran will kill you regardless of move, Lucario is the same. They both outspeed you and OHKO (you can use Choice Scarf for them, but switching into Heatran is really risky). Metagross however is already taken down after you have set up a Magnet Rise, and you just pick off with Thunderbolt.

Run 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Speed on Magnezone, it outspeeds standard Metagross (the one with 8 Speed EVs).

I might come back and spot some weaknesses, etc.

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2010
    No Lead , and the whole team cannot rape Blissey . Relying on Tran just to kill blissey is rather useless , since the opponent will switch to something like Rotom Appliances.

Change Weavile to A Lead that sets up for you SR , like Aerodactyl or Infernape . Replace one or two of your Special Sweepers into Physical Sweepers so Blissey wont cause troubles to you .

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    No Lead , and the whole team cannot rape Blissey . Relying on Tran just to kill blissey is rather useless , since the opponent will switch to something like Rotom Appliances.

Change Weavile to A Lead that sets up for you SR , like Aerodactyl or Infernape . Replace one or two of your Special Sweepers into Physical Sweepers so Blissey wont cause troubles to you .
    Rotom-W is his lead lol. Weavile is his sweeper. ~_~ And, Rotom-W is a really good anti-lead.

I just noticed he doesn't have SR. :x

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2012
    This team is completely walled by Blissey. Flamethrower / S-Toss / Thunder Wave / Softboiled stops everything dead in its tracks bar Weavile (cannot OHKO with a +2 Ice Punch), Heatran (cannot guarantee an OHKO with Explosion), and Rotom-w (cannot guarantee a Trick). For a special offense based team like this, you need to prioritize Blissey first and foremost, meaning that if you are planning to win, you need to eliminate the fat blob. Let's start with the best methods of stopping Blissey on a team like this: Taunt Heatran, Life Orb Gengar, Calm Mind Refresh Latias. Of all these three, I find Gengar to be the most effective, as it is not too centralized and can still remain offensive. Use it over Rotom-w:

Gengar @ Life Orb
    Naive
    42 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
    ~Shadow Ball
    ~Focus Blast
    ~Thunderbolt
    ~Explosion

It's a wrecking ball, and should be your main method of special offense, bei ng able to 2HKO a host of semi-bulky Pokemon as well as OHKO a good portion of frail sweepers with Shadow Ball. Focus Blast and Thunderbolt are the best options, netting you kills against Tyranitar and Gyarados. Explosion is good for late-game, use it against Blissey, Snorlax, etc...and make more wiggle room for your sweepers.

Starmie with Rapid Spin is totally out of place on a team like this, change it to either a Life Orb Starmie, or a Choice Scarf Starmie with Trick. Either of the two work more effectively in this metagame, as the former can sweep unprepared teams, and the latter can revenge kill a host of threats as well as Trick opponents and mess up their synergy. Starmie is less likely to be suspected of using Trick than Rotom-w, who is a pretty common user of it. Starmie also covers Gyarados and Salamence if you use Scarf, and covers Ape generally well if you use the Life Orb version.

For Magnezone and Latias, I would honestly consider forming a duo that works well together. A mono-sweeper Latias without Hidden Power Fire, such as Dragon Pulse / Calm Mind / Reflect / Recover with either a Scarf Magnezone, Steel Killer, or even Life Orb Zone (used in my RMT) can decimate most teams, as Dragon is one of the best moves in the game, resisted only by Steel-types who are easily dispatched by Zone. You can either make it defensive or offensive Latias, but as for Zone, I would honestly consider Choice Scarf Magnezone, assuming you use Life Orb Starmie, to revenge kill Lucario and the likes. Hidden Power Fire would be key on this set, Explosion is an option. HP Ground is pointless since Thunderbolt does more than HP Ground against Lucario, Infernape, etc...

Lastly, I would use a Lead Heatran (such as the one used in my second RMT). SR / Fire Blast / Earth Power / Taunt or Explosion makes a very good, offensive lead. As for Weavile, with Zone killing most Steel-types, you've got a lot of wiggle room. Swords Dance / Ice Shard / Low Kick / Night Slash would be an excellent late game cleaner for this team.

In Closing
    + Life Orb Gengar > Rotom-w
    + Life Orb Starmie / Choice Scarf Starmie > Rapid Spin Starmie
    + Lead Heatran > Choice Scarf Heatran
    + LO > Expert Belt and Low Kick > Ice Punch on Weavile
    + Different Latias set, needs Recover, over current one
    + Choice Scarf Magnezone > Steel Killer Magnezone.

Best of luck with the team.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    Thanks for all the help.

But... Wouldn't it be better to run Brick Break over Low Kick for the extra power and to break the annoying Reflect/Light Screen?

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2012
    Low Kick is not weaker than Brick Break, though it is not necessarily stronger. Low Kick's power is determined by the weight of the opposing Pokemon, meaning its power can be anywhere from 60 to 120! Low Kick helps vs. most of Weavile's checks, such as Scizor, Metagross, Hariyama, etc...

Syaoran

most likely hates your guts
    Years
    I mostly agree with BB but please don't lose Ice Punch on Weavile. Lose Ice Shard instead. Also, most of the counters BB mentioned can just Bullet Punch Weavile, and Hariyama is rare.

Lose the Rapid Spin on Starmie because you don't really need it.. A faster version (with 252 HP evs) with Surf / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Recover is better overall.\

I don't see how Latias fits on this team, seems like it's just making you weaker to TTar. A CB Scizor instead could generally help this team a lot more.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    Okay, so after a few more battles.
    I have decided to swap Starmie/Gyarados for someting more like CB Scizor.
    Latias, after a few CMs is a beast at sweeping.

ABYAY

Advancing the Yarzan species
    Years
    Gyarados @ Leftovers
    Natural Cure <-- win. lol might wanna change.

Use NP Weavile over your current Weavile.

Onto serious issues, I see CB Tyranitar smashing you apart, mainly with just Stone Edge. You can force it out as revenge, sure, but it can still inflict serious damage to you.

Lack of Stealth Rock on this team is allowing dragons and fliers to enter every day of the week. Luckily, Weavile can always force them out, but should Stealth Rock hit the field against you, you only get a handful of attempts.

I'll edit later with possible suggestions, should I remember to do so. It's 3:30AM, and I can't think straight.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    Okay so after a few more battles.
    I'm prolly going to replace Gyarados with CB Scizor, to remove a bit of my Ttar weakness.
    I'm probably going to swap Rotom-W back in over Gengar, sure Gengar does the job, but Rotom-W can also stuff up the opponents anti-leads, something Gengar can't do.
    Magnezone doesn't seem to do very well, especially against Heatran, so I might change that for something else, like Jolteon

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    Agiligross gives you trouble since it can outspeed and decimate every member so I think you should consider putting something like RestTalker Rotom-A in over Gengar. However then you have some problems with Blissey.

I'd turn Heatran into a lead set so you can get SR up which benefits your sweepers and from my experience of using CMLatias can be crucial to her snagging some KO's. Something like this.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
    Nature : Naive
    EV : 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
    - Stealth Rock
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Explosion

I don't really think you should replace Gyarados, Weavile can revenge-kill Tyranitar so you should be okay usually since you still outspeed Jolly +1 DDTar. Plus if you replace it for Scizor then SDLuke can give you problems.

Go with Surf > HP Fire on Latias, it grants you better coverage and lets you smack Tyranitar around. Plus you don't lose that speed point, you'll be surprised at how some problem like to bring their Latias in against yours :/

Good luck!

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2010
    Surf>>HP-fire on Latias. Natural cure is better on Gyara i think, however i am not 100% sure.

Gl with the team ^^

Back