• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

It's So Annoying!! >_<

Should I tell my Mum...?

• Yes, of course!! It's what you like; Not what she likes!!

Votes: 17 94.4%
  • No you should do as your Mum says. She knows best.

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

Miyukii

ShweetyパイPopzz♥
Years
  • I was watching Lucky Star on YouTube and y'know well I was mouthing the English subs...not because I'm thick, but I find it easier to read it quicker. :3 But you know, I was saying it quite loud and my Mum was just walking past. So when we went up the shopping centre, I was browsing through the anime section, you know that aisle with the manga, trying to look for a Lucky Star DVD with some of the episodes on it. I don't know if they have a DVD for it but you know...I was looking at some Naruto DVDs too. Then when we went for something to eat, my Mum said: "Yeah, Lucy was watching this cartoon on YouTube which was Japanese and she's yaddering it in English and it was really annoying. I hope that's not that DVD you wanted Lucy..."

And that just upsetted me. 100%. I mean, I have to put up with watching little baby films. The only things I watch are Disney films, like Wall-E, Spongebob Special Edition DVDs and Pokemon movies. I just got really annoyed.

They expect me to be girly and want to watch all normal kids stuff, like I dunno...boring High School Musical.

I don't know what to do...whether to tell her about it, that it IS the DVD I want. I just can't do it because she says: "We'll see..." and we end up never doing it!!

I just need loadsa advice, so I've left a poll on this thread for your opinion, the question is; "Should I tell my Mum?"

I mean, I know however babyish this is, but to be told something you really like is annoying, it hurts your feelings, because it's like saying your taste in things are annoying and that your'e annoying yourself.

Thank you so much everyone.
    And as soon as everyone's got their opinion, I'll tell and see about it. :3 I'll reply back about the results too. Lol, this is such a weeny subject, yet such a dilemma.

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
    Years
  • I would most certainly speak to your Mum and tell her that you like Naruto and Lucky Star. Maybe show her a few episodes, so she can see what it is all about? The reason she seems so dismissive about it might be because she doesn't understand why you like it; the attractions of High School Musical are, to many people, obvious, but the attraction of anime such as Lucky Star and Naruto are more subtle, so I'd definitely talk to your Mum.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • To this day, my parents still marginalize my gaming habits, and I shudder to think what they'd say if they caught me watching anime. I tried to get them to play some stuff a few times, but they don't care enough to get into it, so I stopped. It's too much hassle, and I honestly don't care if they misinterpret my interests.

Also, Lucky Star is actually good. The crap they air in the US isn't. I didn't think American television could get worse after the 90s, but then they started airing this high school drama crap, and somehow I found out I was wrong. I shudder to imagine what the next step down is. Perhaps we'll watch a show where it's just some kid sitting in a corner and crying for 23 minutes, or a show about someone working in a cubicle all day reviewing papers. I better stop before I give the networks ideas.

Anyway, to answer your question, I wouldn't bother. Parents often never stop thinking of their offspring as children, and no amount of rational explanation will change that.

Last edited:

ShadowLeader

because shadows follow...
    Years
  • went through the same thing when i lived with my dad....best thing to do is top be upfront and honest about it....just tell your mom that you like that show...and that it is the DVD that you want...and if she still says no then you just have to deal with that....but trust me the best thing to do is tell her...or else you risk something similar happening when you get older...besides...you never know..maybe she will be ok with it..

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Yes, you should tell your mom. Regardless of what she wants you to watch, it's about what you like and she needs to respect that. If you'd like to discuss this further with me, I'm always here. ^^ You can PM me, VM me, e-mail me, whichever. =]

PS: Lucky Star is funny. XP​

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Yeah, tell your mom. It's not like she'll punish you for liking something. She may not like it herself but I think she'll let you have it.

((and I'm not the only one who mouths animes =O))

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
  • You should tell your mom. If they don't let you get it, don't worry about it. Most parents don't approve of what their kids like anyways. My mom doesn't care for Metallica, but I do.
    Parents, sometimes, like to think that things aren't going to change. Some may show it more than others. That's why they treat you like a toddler sometimes.

Glad if I helped. But, yeah, do tell your mom.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen today
    My mom was like that too. She always made me uncomfortable about my interests, but I liked what I liked, so you should stick up for what you like even if your mom doesn't 'get it'. Maybe if you're lucky she will 'get it' some day if you share it with her enough, though not all moms are the type to be open to learning about their child's interests (mine isn't).

Good luck! :3

Miyukii

ShweetyパイPopzz♥
    Years
  • Lol thank you all. I told my Mum. She said she'll get it for me. But yeah thanks for all your support. I'm just hoping she sticks to her promise and let's me get it. xP

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • Maybe because you watch anime on a regular(almost addictive) basis that makes your mother conscious of your well being. I always watch reality films and action/adventure movies. I hardly watch anime because I think it's quite silly(no offense please), except Pokemon of course!

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • It seems your mom was just making fun of you for watching weird Japanese cartoons and saying the subtitles out loud (which is weird.).

... What exactly is the problem, again? Your mother thinks what you watch is weird? Screw her, watch it anyway.

Years
  • My parents tease me about this kinda stuff. Hahaha...yeah...
    You should just tell her, it can't possible be that bad. ^^

Brien

Epic Panda.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2017
    I have the same problem, Kindof.

I am 16ish and still watch pokemon. I will sit on the weekends for a few hours just watching the old episodes, or even the new ones (rarely.)

It feels like my parents either think I'm Immature, Have a mental/social disorder, or am gay.

None of those are correct. Just because I don't fit in with the POP CULTURE of america doesn't mean I'm not normal. I prefer anime over the americanized garbage any day.

Peanutz

So i herd you leik peanutz?
    Years
  • Absolutely.

Occasionally my parents try to dictate my opinions, yet I stand up for myself, sometimes getting me into trouble.
    My mom doesn't exactly approve of my tomboy behavior that much. Though she's said before she loves the fact that I'm not one of those prissy girly girls, she's also claimed she doesn't want "another son."

But again, here I am blabbing off on an entirely different subject.

Still, maybe she was just making fun of how you were reading the subtitles. But you are definitely right about her needing to understand your interests. You are your own person.

I'm also about the same age as you, so hopefully I'm able to relate to how your looking at this situation.

Again, talk to your mom. If she's a good parent, she'll understand. ^_^

EDIT: Oh, you told her. Good for you! I hope you will get the DVD you want!

Years
  • I think you should just tell her that these things are getting boring. (NOT SPONGEBOB. SPONGEBOB IS NEVER BORING.)
    Maybe you can try doing some extra chores around the house and THEN ask her. Always works with me ;D

Back