• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

IVs are stupid!!

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    IVs are SO ANNOYING. I don't understand the point of them, all they do is make the game(meta game) harder and take the fun out of the game. they are so confusing and pointless, why add it to the game? Can someone please tell me why they are in the game? thank you

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    They are in the game to give you motivation to breed and hunt for superior Pokemon, to give a challenge. It also makes Pokemon unique. Not all Pokemon need or should have perfect IVs, it benefits Trick Room Pokemon to have minimal speed and so on.
    IVs are always going to be a part of the games.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    With the new breeding changes to XY you only need a perfect IV Ditto and all your problems are gone. Breeding near perfect Pokemon becomes a breeze.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Lol, that's kind of asking "what's the point of natures?" or even genders. They're there to add another level of complexity to the underlying of the game. They let random Pokemon be different from one another (until the breeding comes along that is.)

I'll agree that they're a pain in the butt when it comes to breeding, but it's part of the challenge to get that 'perfect Pokemon'. If it isn't fun for you, then you really don't have to pay attention to them.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    Lol, that's kind of asking "what's the point of natures?" or even genders. They're there to add another level of complexity to the underlying of the game. They let random Pokemon be different from one another (until the breeding comes along that is.)

I'll agree that they're a pain in the butt when it comes to breeding, but it's part of the challenge to get that 'perfect Pokemon'. If it isn't fun for you, then you really don't have to pay attention to them.

the thing is i kinda have to pay attention to them. if i dont then when i go online to play everyone will have better pokemon than me

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    the thing is i kinda have to pay attention to them. if i dont then when i go online to play everyone will have better pokemon than me

Not necessarily. Sure, there's a ton of competitive minded people out there, but there's probably just as many people that don't even know about IV's, and a good amount don't care about them either. Yes, if you really want that upper hand, then you should no doubly take advantage of IV's, but not having an IV-bred Pokemon doesn't necessarily mean you'll do bad in the online battles.

Breeding for IV's definitely takes some time, keep at it and you'll get the results you want. Try reading up on it a bit more online, there's some small shortcuts you can take that'll help you out a bit.

Reactions: Sun

Caiustheblack

Breeder for the sake of it.
    Years
  • Honestly, breeding in this game is a charm even without safari dittos. you just need a good safari pokemon and he will solve his whole egg group. ;)

Reactions: Sun
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    I've always thought they were pretty stupid and just over complicate the game. Before super training, being new to the competitive scene was a nightmare because you had two sets of underlying stats to worry about that you cannot see, one of which cannot be altered. If you breed the perfect nature pokemon and it has a bad IV you'll have to throw it away. it's probably the main reason why things like pokegen exist.

Realistically speaking competitive play will only get slightly easier if you remove the IV system. Like right now, you could have a perfect EV and IV scarf Terrakion, and not know how to play it and lose because of it. Them making it easier to transfer ivs rather than getting rid of them altogether is ridiculous. I think that hacking or GTS exploit will drastically drop if IVs are gone, because that's the reason a lot of competitive players try to take shortcuts. I've bred and played competitively since gen 4 and I'm honestly tired of the iv system.

Years
  • the thing is i kinda have to pay attention to them. if i dont then when i go online to play everyone will have better pokemon than me

Pokemon are just as good at the trainer, if you know how to battle you can use 20-30 Iv'd pokemon against a full perfect IV'd Team and still win.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    The only time IVs are important (as far as I know; haven't played competetive, though) are in tournaments where one point more in a stat can be the difference between victory and loss. Those people are so much more experienced that having a perfect strategy isn't enough to win. Instead it is necessary to get a perfect (or nearly perfect) Pokemon.

In online battles there are mostly noobs with their legendaries who, ironically, can be one hitted if you use a good strategy. {XD}

Reactions: JP
    Years
  • Its seem a little hypocritical to say that IVS are stupid and take the fun out of the game but if your playing for fun why would you care if someone has better stats on their pokemon? Just because someone has the best IVS on their team does not mean they can sweep any player who has not done the same.

It adds depth, complexity and gives something for the competitive players online something to achieve by breeding and developing that special team that will carry them to more victorys than losses. It's not an unfair advantage or hardcore it's just a mechanic that helps making that dream team even better than they would be without it.

Lastly pokemon X and Y have made breeding a pokemon with good/perfect IVs that much easier so really all you have to ask yourself is are you playing for fun or to win? If it's for fun then enjoy the battle for what it is, your team vs someone else's win or lose. Seeing what other pokemon players use, what move sets they have, how they work their strategy to trick you, those are the things that should make a battle fun, all that competitive stuff to do with IVs and EV training should only matter if you care about winning and want to prove your the best, otherwise don't worry about it.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • While the last two generations I've been focusing on Nature, this generation I'm focusing more on IV's. I really want the perfect Pokémon so that I compete in tournaments without losing so easily...also I'm looking into shifting from all power strategy...
    It can take the fun sure, but it can also make the game even more fun.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Ugh, IV's can be the bane of my existence sometimes. Thankfully, X and Y certainly make it easier to acquire better IVs when breeding. Although, I tend not to pay much attention to IVs as much as I do with natures and abilities.

Since this can cover a range of generations, I'm going to move this on over to PGC; Syd's domain. Carry on.

Years
  • Breeding is one of my favorite things. It rewards perseverance. Also, the destiny knot makes breeding near flawless mons quite feasible. *yay* to that!

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
  • The only time IVs are important (as far as I know; haven't played competetive, though) are in tournaments where one point more in a stat can be the difference between victory and loss. Those people are so much more experienced that having a perfect strategy isn't enough to win. Instead it is necessary to get a perfect (or nearly perfect) Pokemon.

In online battles there are mostly noobs with their legendaries who, ironically, can be one hitted if you use a good strategy. {XD}

This is true, I compete at these and you are correct. If you have maybe an IV or even some Ev's missing it can cost you the game. It's part of the game and is important. They made it so easy in this game, so it shouldn't be too bad for anyone who wants to get into it

[Lucian]

KANTO Champion
    Years
  • Lol, that's kind of asking "what's the point of natures?" or even genders. They're there to add another level of complexity to the underlying of the game. They let random Pokemon be different from one another (until the breeding comes along that is.)

This is what I do atleast, but when it comes to trading pokemon...omg...

Shamol

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
    Years
  • I think the question OP is asking is this- by making the opportunities to fine-tune a pokemon so difficult, it gets harder to enjoy the game. EV's are okay to an extent, because they rely solely on your abilities as the trainer, and they're not *that* difficult, compared to IV training. This is something I have to struggle with as well.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    I think the question OP is asking is this- by making the opportunities to fine-tune a pokemon so difficult, it gets harder to enjoy the game. EV's are okay to an extent, because they rely solely on your abilities as the trainer, and they're not *that* difficult, compared to IV training. This is something I have to struggle with as well.

this is true but i have no problem with evs

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    IVs are very important, as they help determine a Pokémon's gender, shininess, type of Hidden Power, and so on. They also affect your overall stats, whether it be positively or negatively. If all your IVs are thirty-one, then your Pokémon's stat would be maximized. If not, then, well, I guess you might have some breeding to do. d: Basically, IVs are the same thing as genes. I've never payed much attention to IVs, personally, but maybe I should!

Back