• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

J-E Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    2009 and 2010 created very little in terms of memorable series in my opinion
    2009:
    Sora no Otoshimono
    Clannad: After Story (Started at the end of 2008, but the bulk of the eps were in 2009, so take your pick on this one)
    Toradora! (Same as Clannad)
    K-ON!
    Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

2010:
    To Aru Kagaku no Railgun (Started at the end of 2009)
    Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
    Durarara!!
    Angel Beats!
    WORKING!!
    K-ON!!
    Sora no Otoshimono Forte (Started at the end of 2010)
    STAR DRIVER (Started at the end of 2010)
    Ore no Imouto
    Otome Youkai Zakuro

And there's some others.
    I'm not saying that 2009/10 was more or less memorable then 2011. But them two years had some really really good series and to dismiss them like that...

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    SOme of those titles are ok but compare that to 2007...

Baccano!
    Darker than Black
    Ef: A Fairy Tale of the Two.
    First Eva remake film
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    Higurashi
    Hidamari Sketch (Totally non biased inclusion on list.)
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
    Kara no Kyoukai
    Lucky Star
    Mononoke
    Gundam 00
    Moyasimon
    Nodame Cantabile
    Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei
    Shakugan no Kugimiya
    Shugo Chara!
    Genshiken
    Strike Witches

08, 09, 10 were pretty bad.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    I like how you're grouping the entire series into one year like that. Like the Strike Witches OVA (in which Strike Witches wasn't all that good either), Shana II wasn't that good, The fist two Kara no Kyoukai don't have as much impact as the rest, etc.

Also, I can easily generate a list that big of good anime from 2008-2010 (each) given a list of stuff that aired. It's not really that hard.

Also the Touch DVD box set came out late 2005, watch me call the curve there being people buying the Touch Box set XD

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Took another look at this years shows and imo it's actually not a lot stronger than the last few, the only real standout show has been Penguindrum and that might fall flat on it's face in weeks to come. Of course we have titles like Guilty Crown and Mirai Nikki to come but it doesn't look like it'll be better than 03 - 07, meh.

And for 08 and 09 I couldn't.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    No faith in the guy that directed Utena. For shame

At the same time, look at how many shows there were airing along with them. The saturation of good shows is without a doubt better. As for 2011, here's my list currently (including prospective, not including stuff I watched and liked, but nearly no one else watched, or stuff I haven't finished)
    Madoka Magica
    Gosick
    Cardfight Vanguard (My biased inclusion)
    Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka?
    Tiger & Bunny
    Nichijou
    Hanasaku Iroha
    Steins;Gate
    A Channel
    Control
    Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai
    Denpa Onna
    Ao no Exorcist
    Ikoku Meiru no Croisee
    Usagi Drop
    Penguin Drum
    Guilty Crown
    fate/zero
    Persona 4
    Mirai Nikki
    Gundam AGE
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (very debatable)

And then to prove a point and back up my statement. At the very least, all the shows noted are worth looking at. (Besides Strike Witches. That's just there cuz -Lapras- put the series into the 2007 slot)
    2008:
    Spice and Wolf
    ARIA the Origination
    Chii's Sweet Home
    Allison and Lillia
    Macross Frontier
    kure-nai
    Itazura na Kiss
    Daughter of 20 Faces
    Kyouran Kazoku Nikki
    (actual) Strike Witches
    Natsume Yuujinchou
    Eve no Jikan
    ToraDora!
    Casshern SINS
    CLANNAD After Story
    Tentai Senshi Sunred
    Kannagi
    To Aru Majutsu no Index
    ga-rei Zero
    ef ~A Tale of Melodies

2009:
    White Album
    Hetalia (regardless of my thoughts of it, the fandom is obviously there)
    Sengoku BASARA
    K-On!
    Phantom
    Valkyria Chronicles
    FMA Brotherhood
    Natsu no Arashi
    Eden of the East
    NEEDLESS
    Bakemonogatari
    CANAAN
    Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
    Railgun
    Sora no Otoshimono
    Kobato
    Kimi no Todoke
    Sasameki Koto
    Fairy Tail

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Ok, Penguindrum and Usagi Drop are the only real stand out shows so far this year. Madoka, Steins;Gate, Squiddy and Mardock Scramble were close as well.

As for your lists I only really loved Tokyo Magnitude, Clannad, Spicy Wolf, Bakemono and the ones from this year I mentioned above. I'm yet to watch a lot mind.

Baccano!, TTGL, Moyasimon, Higurashi, SZS from 2007 all scored 8 or 9/10 with me and well, nothing has so far this year.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    On the exceptionally good, my 2011 list becomes Madoka, Vanguard, Tiger & Bunny, Steins;Gate, Flowers, Usagi, Penguin, with high hopes on Guilty Crown, fate/zero and Mirai Nikki. Trails in the Sky I want to be good, but don't think it'll end up being so. Gundam Age is the initial "lol Inazuma Eleven characters are dying" feeling XD persona 4 i have the hope for a good translation over to anime

I'm generally a lot more lenient on my rankings. I really need to go into my list someday and rerank everything sometime, get that Gaussian curve going.

MagicalNeko

Magical and Fluffy Trainer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2012
    I have to say I thought 2009/2010 was kinda boring ^^;; there was some stuff I watched but nothing that will stick in my mind in a few years time apart from Bakatest and Toradora. I loved 2007 soooo much, I hope we get a return of 2007 ^^;;

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Oh Kenji Kamiyama, director of Seirei no Moribito, GitS SAC and Eden of the East has a new anime coming out. The announcement will be made on the 4th of October but just having a new work from him is sorta exciting.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Still calling an underestimation of 2009, but that's me knowing that absolutely no one here has watched/will watch Cross Game, watched Summer Wars until recently, counts Eden of the East complete due to Paradise Lost apparently not having been subbed, rant rant rant, rage rage rage, etc.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    Yea I see Kamisama Dolls getting a movie. Because I think they were pretty much at the end and could have finished things with 2 or so more eps.
    Overall I liked the series, nothing mind blowing or anything like that. But it's one of the shows I wanted to watch right away when I downloaded it every week.

Know what else doesn't make sense? Blood-C. OMG that show is messed up. I swear they all got together and said "Lets make a show. It's going to be about blood, gore, blood, and clueless stupid people with no common sense." and then wrote a story based around the blood to go along with the blood.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    The developments of episode 11 should have happened in 4 or 5, i mean everyone saw that coming. I also called the antagonist right at the beginning. If only the show had some sence of forced deepness it could have been the new Elfen Lied. As a Clamp fan I will forgive them as long Gate 7 stays interesting.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    Ep 11 had a few twists but still... it's all stupid. I don't know where they wanted to go with the show, it's like it was written by a bunch of 10 year olds that think blood and gore is awesome and cool.

As for the antagonist... I called it from the first moment I saw him. I don't know if I said something about it to David at the time, but still I knew it was him right from the start.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Homerun-chan said (5/27/11):
    How much you wanna bet that Funimation will get it [the Persona 4 anime] and completely replace the entire cast?
    Alan S. said (5/27/11):
    fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu--

Well, it was Sentai who got it, not Funimation. Close enough.

Sentai Filmworks announced on Tuesday it has licensed the Persona 4 The Animation television anime series.

Sentai Filmworks will digitally distribute the series "soon through many outlets," and will release the show on both DVD and Blu-ray in 2012.
    In any case, if Sentai's going to bother getting the original English dub actors for bloody Rozen Maiden just to dub a two-episode OVA, then they had better get the original actors from the game. Then again, these were the same morons who thought it was a good idea to replace the entire cast of Xenosaga when they licensed the anime adapation for that one, back when they still called themselves ADV Films.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    I'm not planning on watching any of those dubbed so it's all gravy.

I read some manga about an idol becoming a pro wrestler is getting animated, I would have watched if she was joining an underground UFC league.

Ryuusei no Gemini gets a lot of hate but I quite liked it, enjoyed the UNTZ, liked Suou and the plot wasn't much worse than the first season. I will be hoping for a third season or at least another ova.

Last edited:

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    Wow, this week's Penguindrum...

Spoiler:

EDIT: lol @ the ending to BLOOD-C. If I didn't hate the antagonist so much I definitely wouldn't be catching the movie finale when it comes to DVD in like 2013. >.>;

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back