• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Jack Black surprised no one adapted GTA or Red Dead Redemption into a film

Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen yesterday
In an interview with Total Film to discuss his role as Claptrap in Eli Roth's upcoming film based on the Borderlands franchise, the outlet asked Black what games he would like to see adapted for the big screen. Black explained how he was shocked no one has yet to make a film adaptation of any of Rockstar Games IPs before explicitly calling out Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption.

"I can't believe they haven't already started making a movie of any of the Rockstar Games – Grand Theft Auto, but especially Red Dead Redemption," Black explained. "Those things are already like movies, you know? I guess that's the thing. Some video games are already halfway there to telling those kind of stories, and there are some movies that are like video games."

Would you want to see a GTA or RDR movie? Could you see Jack Black helping in some way, or playing a part in one of the films?

Years
That would depend on which GTA. IV and San Andreas have good stories that would make for solid movies but the rest less so. I could definitely see Black being able to do something in those. RDR I know less about, but everything I do know suggests it'd be fine if it was adapted. I have a harder time imagining him in that though.

That being said, I don't know if those are properties that I'm particularly desperate to see adapted myself. I'd like to see more original stories in TV and film since at the moment it's adaptations as far as the eye can see. Maybe an original story set in the same universe as one or the other could be cool though.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
That would depend on which GTA. IV and San Andreas have good stories that would make for solid movies but the rest less so. I could definitely see Black being able to do something in those. RDR I know less about, but everything I do know suggests it'd be fine if it was adapted. I have a harder time imagining him in that though.

That being said, I don't know if those are properties that I'm particularly desperate to see adapted myself. I'd like to see more original stories in TV and film since at the moment it's adaptations as far as the eye can see. Maybe an original story set in the same universe as one or the other could be cool though.

I definitely thought Vice City would make a better film than San Andreas. Since it was directly inspired from Mafia films of the time. (going as far to cast Ray Liotta from Goodfellas as Tommy).

I played through San Andreas not that long ago. It's a narratively bizarre game. There's a clear plot up until the betrayal from Big Smoke. Then it turns into CJ getting bounced around all over the map in an ensemble of silliness. Even at the end, CJ and his brother have a dispute because CJ has kinda moved on in life at that point in the story.

Samuel Jackson is also amazing as Tenpenny. That was perfect casting. I can't imagine this character as anybody else. He steals the scenes in a good way.

Years
I definitely thought Vice City would make a better film than San Andreas. Since it was directly inspired from Mafia films of the time. (going as far to cast Ray Liotta from Goodfellas as Tommy).

I played through San Andreas not that long ago. It's a narratively bizarre game. There's a clear plot up until the betrayal from Big Smoke. Then it turns into CJ getting bounced around all over the map in an ensemble of silliness. Even at the end, CJ and his brother have a dispute because CJ has kinda moved on in life at that point in the story.

Samuel Jackson is also amazing as Tenpenny. That was perfect casting. I can't imagine this character as anybody else. He steals the scenes in a good way.

Admittedly yeah, San Andreas' story would need some tightening up. I don't remember much of Vice City's actual story since in that game I mostly just played with a friend and took turns going around murdering shit for the hell of it. Of all of the GTA titles though, IV would definitely be my choice if one of the games were to be adapted.

Back