• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Japanese-English Coalition Against Manga Sites

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Sharing your manga, or anything for that matter, is up to you, once you've paid for it. For them to limit your freedom in such a way is illegal imo. Honestly though, it's just because the government is full of old farts that barely know what the internet is, so most of the laws are out dated/ poorly written anyway.

No its not. Not if its licensed. And this stuff is licensed. Ever tried to "share" a movie on the internet? No? See what happens. OM, and other scanlation sites share what is effectively pirated manga. Its the same as Limewire really.

They aren't getting any more from this as far as I'm aware, because as someone else said, they are paid by the page, not the number of sales. So, basically they're forcing us to give the publishers money, who didn't do a thing to make the manga. (And if they only did it for money, then they don't do it because it's fun. That's the point.)

Maybe so, but they get more money for Tankoban sales. Becuase they're payed some sort of percentage. As for the publishers not doing anything BS. In america maybe. But considering how Manga is gathered together inn collections like Weekly Shonen Jump, the publishers are busting their butts almost as much as the actual artists.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Sharing your manga, or anything for that matter, is up to you, once you've paid for it. For them to limit your freedom in such a way is illegal imo. Honestly though, it's just because the government is full of old farts that barely know what the internet is, so most of the laws are out dated/ poorly written anyway.

It's the whole copyright infringement thing. The manga reader sites technically don't have a license to be able to show them, and are thus doing it illegally. If they had gotten a licensed agreement from the (Japanese) companies, they'd be able to show them legally, regardless of what the American companies say.

Tankobon sales (In Japan) are their only source of income outside page-by-page.

also, just a question, where did you guys ever get the conception that they're called Tankoban? Book -> Hon -> Bon =/= Ban

And just to throw something fun into the mix
    Shonen Jump's ultimatum to readers to stop uploading its manga online or face legal consequences is in response to publishers' deeply held fears about a loss of control over their mangaka and a collapse in magazine sales, say commentators.

Illicit online distribution is claimed to have a disastrous effect on sales, but one of the most popularly pirated titles, One Piece, recently set a national sales record with is 57th volume, selling 3,000,000 copies in its first edition alone. In total it is said to have sold 185,000,000 copies. Sales of magazines meanwhile have steadily declined.

The overseas popularity of titles like Naruto, Haruhi, and Lucky Star is also said to have to have been based largely on illicit online distribution – certainly Kadokawa and company never marketed them at all overseas.

Some consider the real reason for Shueisha's anger at illegal scans to be quite different to what the publisher would have fans believe – one journalist claims that the real fear of publishers is actually digital distribution as a whole, and the disruption it threatens to the manga industry's traditional control over mangaka.

He points out that the main earner for mangaka is not serialised magazine sales but sales of the compiled volumes, or tankobon, much as it is sales of the DVD over TV broadcasts in the world of anime.

With illegal uploads sales are indeed impacted, so some mangaka have responded by simply publishing the serialisation on their homepage and relying on tankobon sales – a growing proportion are said to not to care if the serialisation takes place online, as ultimately it serves only as an advertisement for the tankobon.

"So the publishers are increasingly having trouble tying mangaka to their magazines. For example, were an Internet company come along and buy up the manuscripts, and then publish them online as a 'web magazine,' it's possible the entire structure of the manga industry would be changed."

Publishers, especially Japan's giant publishing houses, deeply fear disruptions to their established way of doing things, but with new technology change is inevitable.

Online distribution, far from "wounding" mangaka as Shueisha claims, may actually free them from the control of traditional publishers – in the process destroying paper sales, which may be what publishers fear the most.
    via Sankaku Complex

Regardless, I'm still against this unless they're planning to put a legal manga-reader alternative up soon that includes the smaller series as well.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    They aren't getting any more from this as far as I'm aware, because as someone else said, they are paid by the page, not the number of sales. So, basically they're forcing us to give the publishers money, who didn't do a thing to make the manga. (And if they only did it for money, then they don't do it because it's fun. That's the point.)
    Translators, graphic artists who design layouts, production employees who handle a lot of the physical production of the manga, people who ship them out. Not being in the limelight doesn't mean you don't do a tremendous amount of work to make these things possible.

Mangaka are paid by the page and then by the percentage of a specific number of volumes sold. (they sell 10,000 copies of one volume, they have %2 of that or some insane number like that) The money doesn't solely go to them, there are many other people who invest a lot of time and effort into the production of manga that you don't seem to think about.

It might be hypothetical, but this is stealing a portion of money that would otherwise go to support people within the industry. There will never be a day when all manga is free because of how time consuming the process of creating one is. As I said, unless you are well off enough to where not having a paying job and spending as much time as a regular mangaka on creating a series is a viable option, you'll see a drastic decline in quality and speed of production.

If you want to make a change to society, start somewhere higher, don't do it by downloading every bit of a series, refusing to buy any of it, and then trying to justify those actions. You're taking money from already vastly underpaid mangaka and other people who work to physically produce the various volumes.

GFA

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Tankobon sales (In Japan) are their only source of income outside page-by-page.

also, just a question, where did you guys ever get the conception that they're called Tankoban? Book -> Hon -> Bon =/= Ban

And just to throw something fun into the mix

via Sankaku Complex

Regardless, I'm still against this unless they're planning to put a legal manga-reader alternative up soon that includes the smaller series as well.

Meh. Jump has a right to be angry. People can actually buy their works. I dont read any non Jump manga though.

Its a shame though that the less popular mangas cant be read.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    I don't have a choice at the moment in reading them online or not. Being from a low income family and in a rather rural area means you don't get many chances to buy manga in stores. If I could buy them now I would, since I usually enjoy what I read and want their creators getting their due.

GFA

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    I don't have a choice at the moment in reading them online or not. Being from a low income family and in a rather rural area means you don't get many chances to buy manga in stores. If I could buy them now I would, since I usually enjoy what I read and want their creators getting their due.

Use Amazon? Get them for Christmas/Holiday/Birthday. Get a job.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years

Low-income family means there is no money to really order from online. Those don't happen often enough for me to read them really, I don't like having to pause and wait for the several months to get another few chapters. And small towns don't have many (or any at all here) jobs available.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    I knew OneManga will bite the dust. As soon I heard that they were in the top 1000, they were digging their own grave. It is unfortunate that this has to happen to them. I was guilty I went to that site and read some manga there. Because it will take a while for the newest chapters to come into a Volume. So I went ahead and just read. But at the same time I brought some as well.

I think the biggest problem is they took down the unknown manga. Many people won't know if this manga is good until they tried it out. They are not willing to pay money for a title that they never heard of. What happens they don't like the rest of the chapters? They can drop the manga and don't buy it. Now they have to buy it no matter what. And they are many of them won't do that. It will help the manga industry, yes but will everyone be able to buy whatever manga they want? Probably not. I know I am going back buying manga. That is what I did before, and I will continue.

I think there is a site on the works that you will be able to read manga online but it will come a fee. Hey, that is a great idea. The mangka and the publishers and get some money by doing that. I won't mind paying a yearly fee just to read the manga I want.

We got to see what happens. I knew a lot of the sites were closing down. They are very serious about this now. Only a few are standing, but they won't for long. But my idea that Apple should get involved still stands. Manga on iTunes...great idea, heh? XD

Last edited:

GFA

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    I knew OneManga will bite the dust. As soon I heard that they were in the top 1000, they were digging their own grave. It is unfortunate that this has to happen to them. I was guilty I went to that site and read some manga there. Because it will take a while for the newest chapters to come into a Volume. So I went ahead and just read. But at the same time I brought some as well.

I think the biggest problem is they took down the unknown manga. Many people won't know if this manga is good until they tried it out. They are not willing to pay money for a title that they never heard of. What happens they don't like the rest of the chapters? They can drop the manga and don't buy it. Now they have to buy it no matter what. And they are many of them won't do that. It will help the manga industry, yes but will everyone be able to buy whatever manga they want? Probably not. I know I am going back buying manga. That is what I did before, and I will continue.

I think there is a site on the works that you will be able to read manga online but it will come a fee. Hey, that is a great idea. The mangka and the publishers and get some money by doing that. I won't mind paying a yearly fee just to read the manga I want.

We got to see what happens. I knew a lot of the sites were closing down. They are very serious about this now. Only a few are standing, but they won't for long. But my idea that Apple should get involved still stands. Manga on iTunes...great idea, heh? XD

The the is that if the site had had unknown manga it wouldnt have been so big. As it was, OM's top 10 manga were, and still arethe following.

Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Hajime no Ippo, Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, Historys Strongest Disciple Kenichi, Full Metal Alchemist, Hunter X Hunter, Mahou Sensei Negima!

5 of those are Jump manga and 9 of them I can say for a fact can be bought in the US. If the site didnt have those, it wouldnt be closing, because it wouldnt be taking money from anybody.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    You got a point there. If they didn't have those popular titles maybe it will be still open. Because the site wouldn't be in the top 1000. But there are still some people who go to that site read the un-popular ones and not licensed ones. There are tons of manga out there that isn't going to come to the US. So people go there to read those as well.

Unfortunately it probably won't be only one that is going to closing. There are going to be others as well. So enjoy them now as you can.

But I agree with you that if they didn't have those titles, then it will be still open.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    The fact is that if the site didn't have those manga, people would be downloading directly from the scanlator site and not reading it online, that's what i did before moving to straight manga reader sites anyways. Also, Jump isn't the only big magazine out there. 3 of those are Shonen Magazine, and 1 is Shonen Sunday. Having all the big manga from the Shonen Magazine big three is pretty much the main problem, and getting an huge amount of traffic at that.

GFA

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    The fact is that if the site didn't have those manga, people would be downloading directly from the scanlator site and not reading it online, that's what i did before moving to straight manga reader sites anyways. Also, Jump isn't the only big magazine out there. 3 of those are Shonen Magazine, and 1 is Shonen Sunday. Having all the big manga from the Shonen Magazine big three is pretty much the main problem, and getting an huge amount of traffic at that.

What manga do you download from the Scanlators? Not that you have to answer, thats your business after-all

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    *Dramatically reenters thread*

Hah! Capitalist scum!

But seriously. I'm a minor, and I don't get paid for the work that I DO do.

Plus, the library has two copies of FMA, and the B&N just now started stocking Lucky Star. Volume one. The rest... I would never buy. Ever.

Back