• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Job interviews.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    What are your tips for nailing a job interview?

Relevant video. Funny video. Watch it.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    Keep eye contact, try not to sound like you're begging for employment. I haven't had a job yet, but I've been learning about what to do and what not to do. Basically, you gotta seem interesting, but not forcing the interview along.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Yust be yourself, And be honest.

I have to disagree with this. Being yourself could actually be a deterrent in obtaining a job. Companies are constantly looking for a specific image for their employees to fit and if you don't fit that image than it will be more difficult to get the job. As such, identifying what the person is up to you.

A really good tip though when going for a job is following up on the application/interview. After the interview is over, sending an email thanking them for their time can actually put you above and beyond another applicant with similar qualities to yourself. It's the little things things like this that can actually make or break you in landing the job.

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    Always have a question or two ready for the end of the interview, because you will probably be asked if you've got any. It shows you're engaged and interested, and that you've really thought about it. Obviously, make sure they're not about holiday or rate of pay, etc.

Years
    Personally, I've never had a job interview myself, but I have learned a few things from my culture in the Canadian workplace course. I think dressing for the part you want; first impressions are lasting and no company in their right mind would want to hire someone who looks like a slob, to be honest \: Know the company profile or information about them; from their job posting, if they list any particular required skills, mention any that you believe you possess because that's what they're looking for.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    Yust be yourself, And be honest.

Yeah that's pretty much the worst advice ever lol. While parents try to tell you that honesty is always the best policy, that has no place in a job interview. The secret to a job interview is that none of the applicants is what they actually want. The one who does the best job at pretending is the one that gets the paycheck.

So my advice: lie through your teeth. Accentuate whatever is good about yourself, mention no negatives or limits and if you have to, just make up complete untruths on the spot.

Also hygiene and appearance.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Even on a date, that's still a big no in my book haha.
    If I'm myself around someone new it either ends in three ways:

1. They think I'm amazing and want to get to know me because I'm so deep and interesting and funny.
    2. They think I'm annoying and want me to go away because I talk too much.
    3. They think I'm weird - and in a bad way - and want nothing to do with me.

Those are the only three ways its ever gone for me.

So when I meet someone new I usually try my best to be a giraffe.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    If I'm myself around someone new it either ends in three ways:

1. They think I'm amazing and want to get to know me because I'm so deep and interesting and funny.
    2. They think I'm annoying and want me to go away because I talk too much.
    3. They think I'm weird - and in a bad way - and want nothing to do with me.

Those are the only three ways its ever gone for me.

So when I meet someone new I usually try my best to be a giraffe.

A giraffe that walks like a baby deer, don't forget about that part.

Years
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/blog.php?b=14208

Having been back on the job search very recently and landing a new opportunity just days ago, I think I have a few extra things to share with you guys. I'd been looking for that big jump in my career and therefore I've had to experience multiple stages of interviews for each opportunity I applied for. And I targeted some big, international companies too. With all of my job hunting experience (and I assure you, it is quite extensive), I have come up with a general procedure that I tend to utilize. I'll break this down into two interview phases but the individual should pick apart and use what appeals most to them.

Preliminary interview: One of the primary purposes of this phase is to serve as an information gatherer. I want to try and learn more about the company I've applied for, try and get an understanding of the culture and see what kind of people work there. I generally try to control the flow and direction of the interview as much as I can. If there's certain topics that I know I would struggle more than others to answer, I'll try and give lengthy and detailed explanations (without waffling) on the questions they ask me, that I am comfortable with answering, therefore giving me leverage on providing short, succinct answers to areas that I am not as strong in. I try and ask questions throughout the interview, not just during the end (as appropriate, you can't just ask a random question in the middle of nowhere, it should relate to the context of the current conversation) as this is another means of directing the interview in a direction that is more under your control. And by getting them to talk more about themselves (employers generally love to do this), theoretically gives less time for them to probe into you and therefore less chance of you making a blunder.

There are two main factors that I think contributed to my ability to line up 3 final stage interviews out of 6 applications.

1) The hidden weapon: Don't you hate it when interviewers spring some unexpected question / test during an interview, to try and catch you off guard? Yeah it sucks, but the truth is, you can use the same principle on them. At the end of the interview, what I did was reach into my briefcase and handed over a sheet of paper titled "Reasons to hire me for this role" and I took each of their criteria bullets and added an explanation as to how I meet / exceed each bullet point. I'll spoiler an example below.

Spoiler:

Question time: It's not the amount of questions you ask, it's the quality that employers will be more impressed with. Here are a couple of my favourite questions I like to ask a prospective employer.

How did you end up in this role?

What kind of training and career progression do you offer?

What kind of challenges is your area of the business currently facing?

The first question is a conversation starter really. Some interviewers have boring stories, some have interesting ones. The real purpose of the question is to demonstrate your soft skills, to show an interest in engaging with other people.

The second question is an information gatherer for yourself but it also gives the impression to the prospective employer that you are thinking long term about this career opportunity which will put their mind at ease a little as no employer wants to hire someone for the short term unless we're talking about temporary / contractual work.

The final question is the nuclear missile if you launch it correctly and then capitalize on the impact during the final interview, which I'll get onto shortly. At this stage of the game, you are asking this question to gather more information about the business. Be attentive and make a note (mental or otherwise) of any issues the interviewer shares with you.

Final interview: Generally speaking, the first interview tests you on your suitability for the role while a final stage will test to determine whether you will fit in with the company culture. I tend to find a final stage interview easier than an initial one but dropping your guard would be foolish as in fact, the final stage interview for the position I accepted was tougher than I had anticipated. At any rate, let's get back to the nuke. So between the first and final interview, what I did was research into one of the problems I found out about the company and compiled some recommendations on how the company could potentially take to try and resolve their issue. I'll spoiler an example below.

Spoiler:

Same as before, hand the sheet of paper to them from your briefcase. Do you understand what this does? What do you think is going to be racing through an employer's head when he reads a list of suggestions to solve / improve the company's business? Probably something along the lines of "wow, this guy took his own time and used his own initiative to try and help my business. He's given me a list of suggestions and clearly he should be the best person to hire in order to try and put these ideas into practice". But this hidden weapon is not for the lazy or easy going person. It requires a good duration to set it up but if you take the time to do this properly, you would gain a pretty tremendous advantage against your competition. Finally, I think it's good practice to send a thank you E-mail to your interviewer(s) if possible, as a show of courtesy.

And that is how I pretty much doubled my market value.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/blog.php?b=14208

Having been back on the job search very recently and landing a new opportunity just days ago, I think I have a few extra things to share with you guys. I'd been looking for that big jump in my career and therefore I've had to experience multiple stages of interviews for each opportunity I applied for. And I targeted some big, international companies too. With all of my job hunting experience (and I assure you, it is quite extensive), I have come up with a general procedure that I tend to utilize. I'll break this down into two interview phases but the individual should pick apart and use what appeals most to them.

Preliminary interview: One of the primary purposes of this phase is to serve as an information gatherer. I want to try and learn more about the company I've applied for, try and get an understanding of the culture and see what kind of people work there. I generally try to control the flow and direction of the interview as much as I can. If there's certain topics that I know I would struggle more than others to answer, I'll try and give lengthy and detailed explanations (without waffling) on the questions they ask me, that I am comfortable with answering, therefore giving me leverage on providing short, succinct answers to areas that I am not as strong in. I try and ask questions throughout the interview, not just during the end (as appropriate, you can't just ask a random question in the middle of nowhere, it should relate to the context of the current conversation) as this is another means of directing the interview in a direction that is more under your control. And by getting them to talk more about themselves (employers generally love to do this), theoretically gives less time for them to probe into you and therefore less chance of you making a blunder.

There are two main factors that I think contributed to my ability to line up 3 final stage interviews out of 6 applications.

1) The hidden weapon: Don't you hate it when interviewers spring some unexpected question / test during an interview, to try and catch you off guard? Yeah it sucks, but the truth is, you can use the same principle on them. At the end of the interview, what I did was reach into my briefcase and handed over a sheet of paper titled "Reasons to hire me for this role" and I took each of their criteria bullets and added an explanation as to how I meet / exceed each bullet point. I'll spoiler an example below.

Spoiler:

Question time: It's not the amount of questions you ask, it's the quality that employers will be more impressed with. Here are a couple of my favourite questions I like to ask a prospective employer.

How did you end up in this role?

What kind of training and career progression do you offer?

What kind of challenges is your area of the business currently facing?

The first question is a conversation starter really. Some interviewers have boring stories, some have interesting ones. The real purpose of the question is to demonstrate your soft skills, to show an interest in engaging with other people.

The second question is an information gatherer for yourself but it also gives the impression to the prospective employer that you are thinking long term about this career opportunity which will put their mind at ease a little as no employer wants to hire someone for the short term unless we're talking about temporary / contractual work.

The final question is the nuclear missile if you launch it correctly and then capitalize on the impact during the final interview, which I'll get onto shortly. At this stage of the game, you are asking this question to gather more information about the business. Be attentive and make a note (mental or otherwise) of any issues the interviewer shares with you.

Final interview: Generally speaking, the first interview tests you on your suitability for the role while a final stage will test to determine whether you will fit in with the company culture. I tend to find a final stage interview easier than an initial one but dropping your guard would be foolish as in fact, the final stage interview for the position I accepted was tougher than I had anticipated. At any rate, let's get back to the nuke. So between the first and final interview, what I did was research into one of the problems I found out about the company and compiled some recommendations on how the company could potentially take to try and resolve their issue. I'll spoiler an example below.

Spoiler:

Same as before, hand the sheet of paper to them from your briefcase. Do you understand what this does? What do you think is going to be racing through an employer's head when he reads a list of suggestions to solve / improve the company's business? Probably something along the lines of "wow, this guy took his own time and used his own initiative to try and help my business. He's given me a list of suggestions and clearly he should be the best person to hire in order to try and put these ideas into practice". But this hidden weapon is not for the lazy or easy going person. It requires a good duration to set it up but if you take the time to do this properly, you would gain a pretty tremendous advantage against your competition. Finally, I think it's good practice to send a thank you E-mail to your interviewer(s) if possible, as a show of courtesy.

And that is how I pretty much doubled my market value.

That's definitely something that I'm going to do when I am looking for a Job Opportunity that can result in a career. I don't want to go in there all willy nilly knowing jack ♥♥♥♥. I want to know the specifications and what it takes to get to the higher rank. I'm not gonna be in a business as a stupid person reading off a script calling companies. I want to work up to that CEO rank.

Also, at the end, I always say "Thank you for this opportunity" or something and then a couple days later follow-up with an email or a phone call. That extra initiative always helps. I haven't had many interviews, but they always seem successful. I always get the call back for a second interview, and some places, I just wasn't old enough. A lot of my Job Hunting was when I was 16, so I wasn't really qualified. I finally nailed a job with a company called Publix which is a Grocery Store. And once I nailed it, I heard good things about college opportunities, and now basically, when I go to major in Business Financing, I get re-imbursed for every business class I take.

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years
    I've learned this in the past two years, don't be foreign. There's more hoops to jump through when being hired so an equally qualified person will get the job if they arnt foreign every time.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
    Be prepared. Guess what kind of questions they're going to ask, and have the answer they want to hear. When asked about what you need to improve on, mention something that could be on-the-fence. I typically go with: "I'm a perfectionist. It may take me a bit longer to accomplish a task, but when I do, the quality justifies the extra effort."

And as Catholic Nun mentioned, hygiene and appearance. You can't change someone's opinion of you with words if you show up stinky and wearing overalls or something. First impressions last. Give a firm handshake. Be confident. Eye contact. Interviews are a set of well-thought rules that if you abide by them perfectly, should land you the position. I've always received call backs :)

Last edited:

Sir Codin

If they ask you what the ideal pay is, your best bet it to lowball it near minimum wage, unless you know (And you need to know this for sure) they don't pay that low. That way, they'll think you're not just in it for the money, and they won't think you're incredibly greedy
    Why would anyone think you're not in it for the money? The whole reason most people work in the first place is to make an income.

King Kū

Outer-space is the limit
    Years
    Nail the interviewer.

Lie. Make sure your resume is tailored just to that job too. A bike mechanic isn't going to want to know about your PhD in paleontology. My point is to make your resume as specific to the job as possible so they think that you're the ideal candidate.

Back