• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Joo's GFX Gallery

Joobell

Insert Witty User Title Here
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 1, 2015

Joo's GFX Gallery​
Personal Work

Who am I?
Hello everyone my name Joobell A.K.A Joo and formally known on another forum as
Shinryok. I'm a 17 year old high school student who has a hobby of GFX.
My favorite kind of music is K-Pop, I play League of Legends as well as a bit of Dota 2.

My DeviantArt
http://shinryok.deviantart.com/

Pixel Art:
pikachu_by_shinryok-d6v3hy4.png

Original art cred goes to ポケモン http://solos1s.tumblr.com/

Tags

ia_by_shinryok-d72w5j5.png

life_by_shinryok-d6h4scc.png

yellow_by_shinryok-d6gsx69.png

pink_by_shinryok-d6gmdmm.png

Bigger Works

sw3_by_shinryok-d6gt26l.png

(Re-sized to fit thread)

Last edited:

Thergox

Average Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2014
Glad to see you're still around! Your art still looks amazing; I hope you keep up the good work!

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
Years
Ohh, League of Legends player, we should definitely play sometime as soon as I get my new laptop.

Well then, let's get down to business. I can see from the first 4 tags that you're into the smudge-style, which is turning out to be one of my favourite styles. It's kind of hard to pull off right but when you do the effects can look so amazing. Now your newest tag this one, I thought was a .gif at first because there are a lot of pixelations around the whole tag, which makes it look low quality. It was probably caused by over-sharpening or using an adjustment filter but I'm just guessing there, still it does really bother me because it just really brings down the overall quality of it :/. Another problem I see with this tag is that there's not much contrast at all, everything is yellow and nothing really stands out. I understand if you wanted to make yellow the main colour on this tag, but don't forget to use different shades of yellow as well as colours that are close to yellow on the colour wheel so that the yellow looks more vivid and to help the effects stand out. Try using oranges and black to create different shades on the tag so that the yellow pops out more. Black is especially used a lot in this style of smudging to help create depth and to help the main colours pop out. Next, this tag is my favourite from your smudge attempts.There's more variety in colours unlike the yellow tag it's got some decent lighting. Problem is there aren't really any dark areas to compliment/emphasize the lighting around the focal. I think adding some black with a softbrush at either corners of the tag would help the lighting be more emphasized. Also I think you should work a little on your smudging, to me it just looks like your diagonally using different colours, more flow and movement, swirls, etc. would, in my opinion, make the smudging look much more appealing.

I have more I want to say but I'll save it for another day, don't worry I'll be checking this gallery out from now on. You're headed in the right direction with this style but you just need to fix up a few things and practice your smuding a bit more and I'm sure you'll be pulling off that style perfectly. By the way are you using a tablet or mouse when you do these smudges cause this style of smudging is for pen tablets, I mean it can be pulled off with the mouse too but it's a lot more difficult to than with a pen tablet. Anyway I hope you continue posting more work here, I'd really like to see you improve. Good luck ^^

Joobell

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 1, 2015
Ohh, League of Legends player, we should definitely play sometime as soon as I get my new laptop.

Well then, let's get down to business. I can see from the first 4 tags that you're into the smudge-style, which is turning out to be one of my favourite styles. It's kind of hard to pull off right but when you do the effects can look so amazing. Now your newest tag this one, I thought was a .gif at first because there are a lot of pixelations around the whole tag, which makes it look low quality. It was probably caused by over-sharpening or using an adjustment filter but I'm just guessing there, still it does really bother me because it just really brings down the overall quality of it :/. Another problem I see with this tag is that there's not much contrast at all, everything is yellow and nothing really stands out. I understand if you wanted to make yellow the main colour on this tag, but don't forget to use different shades of yellow as well as colours that are close to yellow on the colour wheel so that the yellow looks more vivid and to help the effects stand out. Try using oranges and black to create different shades on the tag so that the yellow pops out more. Black is especially used a lot in this style of smudging to help create depth and to help the main colours pop out. Next, this tag is my favourite from your smudge attempts.There's more variety in colours unlike the yellow tag it's got some decent lighting. Problem is there aren't really any dark areas to compliment/emphasize the lighting around the focal. I think adding some black with a softbrush at either corners of the tag would help the lighting be more emphasized. Also I think you should work a little on your smudging, to me it just looks like your diagonally using different colours, more flow and movement, swirls, etc. would, in my opinion, make the smudging look much more appealing.

I have more I want to say but I'll save it for another day, don't worry I'll be checking this gallery out from now on. You're headed in the right direction with this style but you just need to fix up a few things and practice your smuding a bit more and I'm sure you'll be pulling off that style perfectly. By the way are you using a tablet or mouse when you do these smudges cause this style of smudging is for pen tablets, I mean it can be pulled off with the mouse too but it's a lot more difficult to than with a pen tablet. Anyway I hope you continue posting more work here, I'd really like to see you improve. Good luck ^^

Hey thanks for the advice and feedback ^_^ really appreciate it and yea we really should play league together sometime.

I took some of your advice and tried for another tag and here is what I came out with:
morgana_by_shinryok-d6gw1uu.png

I tried blurring the back wing a little more than the front wing for depth and the background more than the back wing. Also the bg is blurred a bit more while I sharpened the face a little to try to make it more of the focal.

Thergox

Average Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2014
At the risk of sounding like an annoying fan boy, that new image just blew my mind. The newer way you blurred the background is sharp and refined that captures the essence of the main subject. I have no idea how you do all that (I'm just getting into Digital Art. . . It's not going well since I usually only do graphite), but your new one seems to blow the rest out of the park.

Joobell

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 1, 2015
At the risk of sounding like an annoying fan boy, that new image just blew my mind. The newer way you blurred the background is sharp and refined that captures the essence of the main subject. I have no idea how you do all that (I'm just getting into Digital Art. . . It's not going well since I usually only do graphite), but your new one seems to blow the rest out of the park.

Thanks man ^_^, all you really have to do is like use a blur tool in photoshop or a blur filter. But really thanks man this comment really gave me a big boost in ego.

Also I made a new tag:
colors_by_shinryok-d6gykbs.png

I smudged it then used a bunch of colors over it along with a circle pattern overlay. C&C Please ^_^

Cheers,
~Joobell

~Edit
Made a new tag:
life_by_shinryok-d6h4scc.png

Tried merging smudging with c4ds, bokehs, and other resources. I think it looks pretty good. C&C Please

Last edited:

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
Years
Oh 3 new tags, hurray for updates. ^^

Unfortunately, however I do see a bit of problems with the tags. The Morgana one looks rather unfinished and empty to be honest. It's a bit like I said about the Vi tag, the smudging is pretty bland and should have more flow to it. There's also that bit of empty space on the left of the tag that's, for the lack of a better word, unnecessary. You could crop it off or fill it in with some more smudging. Your second tag, with Lelouch, has a bit of the same problem as far as empty space and smudging goes. I do like the colours though but I'm not too fond of the pattern overlay, but that's really just a personal opinion. Finally the 3rd and newest tag is really nice. Love the bokeh and the blur you added to the smudging and I like the overall "exclusion" look the tag has. The empty space doesn't look all that bad on this tag to be honest. I think it's a pretty solid one but those highlights are lacking shadows, if you know what I mean. Adding some shadow areas would help the overall look of the tag, and some more contrast would also do it good.

Darkrai666

ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 21, 2014
Glad to see you're still around and made your own gallery it would be epic if you opened your shop again :D

Thergox

Average Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2014
Glad to see you're still around and made your own gallery it would be epic if you opened your shop again :D

Though you should probably realize that he didn't close the shop for nothing. If it had been otherwise, I imagine it wouldn't have been closed by him in the first place.

Darkrai666

ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 21, 2014
Though you should probably realize that he didn't close the shop for nothing. If it had been otherwise, I imagine it wouldn't have been closed by him in the first place.

Yeah..I know bout that....

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Okay guys, Joobell has his reasons for closing down his shop. If you guys are going to post, than please make sure it stays on topic and pertains to the artists work! Darkari666, if you have any questions for Joobell you may VM/PM him. Let's keep the gallery moving, folks!

Joobell, I for one and glad you've decided to showcase more of your work this way. :) You're clearly very talented. I'd like to second Zero's observation that your smudging style has definitely worked in your favor, but I'd also like to see you expand from it a little more. You've got a good eye for color already, so make sure you carry that over into future pieces.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work. :]

Joobell

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 1, 2015
Thanks for the tips guys ^_^. I'm currently on vacation and won't be back until Saturday.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
oh your graphics are very nice. they seem a little dark for my taste though. i like the use of textures.
what bothers me is how the texts do not stand out. i know the texts can distract from the signature, but i wish they were either brighter or have a drop shadow. also, i would try finding better image qualities to make your images look better.
nicely done. can't wait to see more.

Joobell

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 1, 2015
Newest work:
ketchup_by_shinryok-d6iobzg.png

To me it looks pretty sloppy since I haven't done a tag in a week. C&C Please
Cheers
~Joobell

Thergox

Average Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2014
Thats cool but why ketchup on ice cream?

Maybe Pikachu likes it better that way :P Do you know what they eat?

XD Then again, something like ice cream alone would be pretty weird for a Pokemon.

Glad to see you're back in business again, Joobell! I won't say anything more than that, because it's usually stupid or I end up looking like I don't know what I'm talking about in the end.

Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2014
You need to work on the fluidity on your smudging, right now it is just everywhere, and doesn't flow correctly. The tags also need lighting and depth. My favorite one is the one where you tried to merge the effects.

Keep Practicing, and good luck!

Joobell

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 1, 2015
Hello everyone, I'm back, thanks for the to advice. I made a new tag trying to mix smuding, c4ds, and adjustments:

purity_by_shinryok-d6j06fb.png

Cheers
~Joo

Back