• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen K, so city discussion.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    *Note* This is for discussion for certain topics. Do not discuss your favourite city here.*

As you may, or may not have noticed, in the Unova region there are far less cities than the previous games. Pretty much, every mandatory city you must visit as part of the main story after Accumula City has a gym leader in it, which means you're heading straight from one gym leader to the next one. There's no resting in othet cities where there may not me much going on. It's as simple as finding the next city, then the gym because they all have one.

Do you like that there are less cities?

Thoughts on multiple gym cities in a row?

How do you feel on less cities in the game?

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
    mostly. i like some side cities but the number they have in the games are ok.
    i dont think it gives you enough time in some places to train your pokemon before the next gym
    kinda sad it feels like they are taking away some of the exploring. but the game was quite long so i can see why.

Years
    I don't mind that there are less cities really, just the way they're set out.

This kind of bugs me, seems like we're just racing from Gym to Gym and that the Team Plasma story is just a side part.

I think it's removed something from the game, to me it just feels like you enter a city, fight a Gym, move on to the next city and so on and there's not really anything to explore.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022

Imo, it made the game seem shorter and I really would have enjoyed traveling across all the cities.

Same as before. The game appeared shorter and faster to beat since we kept kept running into cities, beating gym, and leaving.

I was admittedly let-down by the length of the game.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

It didn't feel like less cities, because of the ones AFTER the Elite Four. I can't remember a game where they had cities only accessible after you finish the story, let alone half a region.

I think one thing they did right was that every city was so unique that it's hard to even notice that. I remember the cities as "the one with the airstrip" and "the one like Manhattan", not by the gym leaders. Except for Nimbasa because Elesa sucks.

Including the after-game cities there are more cities than in R/B/Y. So I have no problem with it. The resting comes after the game.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
    To be perfectly frank, the first time I played through it, I didn't even notice. I suppose, I like being able to rest in towns in the older games... but in Pokemon Black, there's so much to do as it is (with the plot) that the lack of cities went unnoticed to me.

I'm a bit on the fence with this one. On one hand, I love having a break between gyms because it gives me more time to train and prepare a team to take on the next gym leader. On the other hand, going from one gym right to another isn't really that bad at all. So, really, I wouldn't mind either way.

There were less cities? ;] Really, I couldn't care less if they made it a trend as long as they kept the plots the way they were in B/W. (With someone giving you something to do in almost every new city, I mean.)

blue

gucci
    Years

Yes/no, it makes it different, but the addition of more cities makes the game more explorable and more stuff to do.

I don't really like this, it dosen't give me the chance to train enough between Gym battles.

I feel okay about this, however they could have added a few more

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2011
    Don't like, yet its not that bad. Keeps things concentrated more.

No, don't like that we don't get a break.

Last edited:

176StantonStreet

Little Mons†er
    Years
    Yes and No.

I don't think that there is enough time to train in between gyms. I keep finding myself grinding in the small portion that is before the town :/

I personally don't prefer it. It's fine I guess but I do not like the 'exploring' factor partially taken away from me. It also seems to make the game pass quicker :// ALL IN ALL I wish there were side towns.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
    Do you like that there are less cities? and How do you feel on less cities in the game?

There actually aren't less cities in this game. Comparing it to Sinnoh, unless you count the Pokemon League/Battle/Resort/Survival areas as cities, then there are 14 cities in Sinnoh. There are 15 cities in Hoenn, only 10 in Johto and Kanto, and 13 in Unova. So actually, there aren't less cities in this game.

I kinda like it. It didn't feel any different than previous games in terms of where the gyms are and how many cities there are.

Years
    I didn't even notice the number of cities and the whole gym-after-gym thing as I was playing. I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything since the routes were full of interesting things like bridges, forests, electric caves and ghost towers. If the cities and routes weren't as interesting then I'd feel annoyed, but thankfully that's not the case.

ACE9

is looking for a shiny miltank
    Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2013
    I actually like it better how nearly 30% of Unova can't be explored until after the main quest is completed. In my opinion, it feels much more like an actual adventure because ALL wild pokemon are in the high 40s through high 50s, with most trainers having level 60s.

I really wish they made a game similar to Silver and Gold, with two regions, one of which can only be explored after the main quest is completed. There would be an obscene amount of one-of-a-kind pokemon (think Volcarona/Red Gyarados, having a sprite, but not actually legendary) that would dwell in caves/hidden routes/underwater areas/surfing/etc. all throughout the regions. These would range from like level 40-100, with all wild pokemon being around 5-10 levels below. It would take hours to explore the entire game. I don't think they could ever accommodate all that memory on a normal DS cartridge, maybe they could use an AR one.

Last edited:

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
    Years
    Not really, It's fun when you get to explore them more.
    It's quite good they did that so that you don't all of a sudden go to the wrong place that is a high leveled.
    Okay, but I like it when there is more that you can explore and find stuff.

Not really, It's fun when you get to explore them more.
    It's quite good they did that so that you don't all of a sudden go to the wrong place that is a high leveled.
    Okay, but I like it when there is more that you can explore and find stuff.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Do you like that there are less cities?: Not really. It doesn't give me much to explore when there aren't a lot of them, even though Castelia City is huge.

Thoughts on multiple gym cities in a row?:
    It'd be nice to put in other cities in between the gym cities.

How do you feel on less cities in the game?:
    See first answer

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    Do you like that there are less cities? I don't really mind. I could get to the chase faster, which I thought was cool.

Thoughts on multiple gym cities in a row? I don't care, because I always grind a lot before battling, so yeah.

How do you feel on less cities in the game? I felt there were longer routes and caves, so it didn't make a big difference. :/

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I just noticed you pretty much repeated yourself in the first post. XD

Anyways, I kinda like that each main city has a gym leader after Accumula. This is probably because in end *****spoilers***** all the gym leaders come together and face the sages. And to me, that makes Unova seem like it's united rather than anything else. Plus the fact that the cities after the main story not containing much special just makes it seem interesting to explore. Though... if there WERE more cities to explore, it would be amusing if they could continue on a different type of gym challenge with extra cities after the end of the main story. I don't know if that makes sense, but yeah. But... if anything, I'd have not expected Castelia to have a gym leader.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    No I don't. I wish they had more. Mainly because then there would be more people to talk to and more different styles of cities. I think that is why I liked Hoenn so much because there were so many cities that were like extras like Verdanturf Town, Lilycove City and Pacifidlog Town.

I'm not that big of a fan because that means you don't get to level up your Pokemon up as much because everything is so close together. I like the idea of walking into a town where I can heal my Pokemon and then just leave without doing anything.

See the first answer.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
    What? There was less cities? Never noticed that. XD So I guess it doesn't really matter.

I don't mind. It doesn't really make a difference to me. :3

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    It never really occured to me that there were less cities.

It's fine as long as there aren't huge level jumps between them (which I don't think there are too many of them).

It's fine, I suppose. Though I do like striking up conversation with the locals in those small towns in other games, I guess it makies things go faster too.

Back