• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Keeping unevolved Pokemon

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    There are many Pokemon who are weak in battle unless you evolve them. If you do, which of them you keep unevolved anyway, and why?
    I don't myself stop many Pokemon from evolving except Venipede and Spoink due to me thinking they are way cuter than evolved forms. I have also once tried to raise a Whismur but I gave up after a few days.

Rainbow-Starlight

Pokémon Trainer Melanie
    Years
    There are a lot of Pokémon I keep unevolved. I like them better that way because they're cuter. ^_^ Usually my starter (with exceptions), Pikachu, Buizel, Buneary, Purrloin, Glameow, and others.

PickupTeam

Free Item Abuser
    Years
    There are many Pokemon who are weak in battle unless you evolve them. If you do, which of them you keep unevolved anyway, and why?
    I don't myself stop many Pokemon from evolving except Venipede and Spoink due to me thinking they are way cuter than evolved forms. I have also once tried to raise a Whismur but I gave up after a few days.

If I want the game to be more challenging at a certain point, I hold off evolution. Occasionally I do it to get a powerful move early, but that always ends up making the game way too easy.

I'm also doing a challenge on White (the rules are posted in my About Me section) that requires me to not evolve most of my pokemon.

Years
    I've got a really strong Piloswine on my SoulSilver team, and I held off her evolution.

I then got a second Piloswine that has evolved into Mamoswine, but the one above is the one I mainly use.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    It really all depends on what I'm doing. On my Soulsilver run I wanted to play the game just like you would if it were a regular G/S/C run, so I refused to evolve my Piloswine and Togetic, just so it would have more of that feel. I really did it for the sake of nostalgia. Most of the time when I don't evolve Pokemon right away though, it's so it can learn a certain move, so in FR/LG I wouldn't evolve a Spearow until level 25 so it could learn Aerial Ace, and in my current run of Black, I'm not evolving my Clefairy until it reaches level 55 so it learns Meteor Mash. I'm also not going to evolve my Rhydon because that is much better than Rhyperior. :)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    In the past I used to not evolve Voltorb and Goldeen. As of recently though, I usually evolve as soon as I can unless I'm specifically waiting for the Pokemon to learn a specific move.

Years
    I don't evolve a good number of Pokemon, mostly because I like em how they are. Also, isn't there a name for this type of run?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    And sometimes the evolved form is far inferior to its pre-evolution even without eviolite or their roles are completely different: looking at you Porygon2.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2012
    I will not evolve my pikachu because if i do my lightball item will not work to its full potential

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Umm...Pikachu. Lotad (I wait until I find a Water Stone, then skip right from Lotad to Ludicolo without having to endure the horror that is Lombre). Frillish - Eviolite makes it more endurable, but whilst I prefer male Frillish to female Frillish, female Jellicent is far superior, and at the moment male Jellicent creeps me out a bit.

I often keep pokémon unevolved, even if I like their evolutions - Cyndaquil's family is an example - I prolong their evolution, as whilst I like Typhlosion, I prefer Cyndaquil and Quilava is my favourite, so I normally evolve at lv.25 and 50.

King Of The Blues

Still got the Blues, For you.
    Years
    I went through Soul Silver with an Meowth in my party and it did quite well. I was a grind using it in battle but I liked my him in my party. Pay-Day is very useful too.

That was the only time I used an unevolved Pokemon in my party.

Years
    I never evolve my Pikachu. Never. Why should I? Raichu is a hideous piece of garbage, and Pikachu is arguably better if you equip it with a Light Ball. I'm sacrificing an item slot for a cuter Pokemon with better Attack and Special Attack stat than its evolution.

I remember during my first playthrough of HeartGold I had a trusty Growlithe. I used him until the end of the game, and I mean the end.
    I was planning on evolving it, but I never found a Fire Stone during in Johto or Kanto. I had a level 70 something Growlithe when I went up against Red. After all that we went through I decided to never evolve him.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Actually, in all my FR/LG games when I catch a Dratini, I never end up evolving it from Dragonair to Dragonite. I just like the look of Dragonair a lot more than Dragonite. Sleek and blue and awesome turning into chub and blechy color? No thanks! ;o;

The only other notable one for me is Vigoroth and that's kinda for obvious reasons. WHY DID THEY INVENT TRUANT WHYYYY

Back