• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kids making me feel old :(

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
Years
  • A similar thing happened to me a little while ago, my little brother wanted to take my turtle to school for show and tell. After calling his teacher and getting her permission, I went to the school after lunch and showed everyone the turtle and since it was the afternoon the teacher just said hang around help the kids and then you can take your brother home after school. So i went and sat near my brothers table and i noticed one of his friends had a Pokemon backpack with some Gen IV pokemon on it and i said cool me and my brother like pokemon to, My favorite is Charizard and the whole table looks at me and says whats a Charizard, I was like old im so old

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
    Years
  • I'm pretty much forced to keep all of my pokemon stories to my brothers, one of my friends, and a kindergardener because I think they're the only ones that play Pokemon in my town.

Years
  • None of my friends play Pokemon.

I'm almost 20 and I still play Pokemon cos it's FUN. You are never too old for Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2012
    Youngsters in these days always think that playing Pokemon is a childish thing to do. They just don't know how enjoyable and funny playing it and yes you never too old for pokemon :)

Years
    • Age 40
    • Seen Jun 4, 2014
    I happen to keep my love of Pokemon quiet because people just don't understand that it appeals to both young people and old people. I get called childish enough as it is, I don't want to be pressed into everyone thinking I'm a pedo now or something -.-

Either that or because people don't understand some of us can in fact walk and chew bubblegum at the same time even if they can't.

Just the other day I was debating someone in politics, and they thought they could simply sideline me because I listed Pokemon as a hobby of mine. Well it didn't keep me sidelined, I told them just because they can't walk and chew bubblegum doesn't mean I can't.

Madam Cheezy

Imakuni Trainee
    Years
  • Either that or because people don't understand some of us can in fact walk and chew bubblegum at the same time even if they can't.

Just the other day I was debating someone in politics, and they thought they could simply sideline me because I listed Pokemon as a hobby of mine. Well it didn't keep me sidelined, I told them just because they can't walk and chew bubblegum doesn't mean I can't.

This. Truly.

I'm...*ahem*...along in years myself.
    But I think I give off a wierd vibe anyway, so people dont really question me much. Either that, or they're afraid to. (I'm 6 feet tall with, as someone put it, 'an intimidating frame'. What, you can't lift a couch too? lol...)

I have skills beyond beating the E4 without potions, people. Take a minute to get to know me, and see that my interests arent tailored to a 5 year old.

Though, it was fun having a 'Pokemon expert' (aka, snooty neighborhood kid) try to 'teach' me a thing or two in battle a few years ago. I wonder if his all-legend team ever recovered from that whupping....XD

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
  • I asked my little cousin who his favorite Pokemon was.

Cousin: "Archeops."
    Me: "... What's that?"
    Cousin: "Do you know anything about Pokemon..?"

What happened to liking Charizard or Pikachu.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Hah, man. I made sure to train my siblings in the history of Pokémon so I never realized how little other kids know about it. But! I started babysitting the neighbour kids recently and gosh. They needed reminding of what Hoenn was, they can't name most Pokémon that don't appear in Sinnoh games, they've never watched the anime, they don't have any cards... it's so weird. And they think they know stuff about Pokémon. What even.

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
    Years
  • I'm sixteen, and apart from the three other poeple who play pokemon too, my peers thing its freaking hilarious that I still play.

And little kids? The ones who don't know Blastoise stopped breathing around the time my hands were getting tired of strangling the- I mean, Ha ha! Silly kids!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Blah, I can completely relate to this topic. I feel a bit weird about my Pokemon obsession due to my age. I remember Pokemon being the hottest thing in the world up until I got into 8th grade. Then it was like "Hahaha you're a baby 'cause you still play Pokemon!" Ever since I heard a kid being teased about liking Pokemon, I buried my interest in Pokemon deep down inside. I never talked about it to anyone, never took my gameboy in public, and I stopped buying Pokemon cards for fear that my mom or the cashier would tease me. I was so worried about being teased that I treated my obsession like it was some disgusting and shameful secret.

Now that I'm older, I don't really care anymore. I wear my Pokeball t-shirt to my college classes and I even play Pokemon White in between classes or during breaks. I suppose it still nags at me a bit, and sometimes I do feel self-concious about it, but who cares what people think, right?

Years
    • Age 40
    • Seen Jun 4, 2014
    Blah, I can completely relate to this topic. I feel a bit weird about my Pokemon obsession due to my age. I remember Pokemon being the hottest thing in the world up until I got into 8th grade. Then it was like "Hahaha you're a baby 'cause you still play Pokemon!" Ever since I heard a kid being teased about liking Pokemon, I buried my interest in Pokemon deep down inside. I never talked about it to anyone, never took my gameboy in public, and I stopped buying Pokemon cards for fear that my mom or the cashier would tease me. I was so worried about being teased that I treated my obsession like it was some disgusting and shameful secret.

Now that I'm older, I don't really care anymore. I wear my Pokeball t-shirt to my college classes and I even play Pokemon White in between classes or during breaks. I suppose it still nags at me a bit, and sometimes I do feel self-concious about it, but who cares what people think, right?

Indeed.

Those that matter don't mind; those that don't matter mind.

Childish_Gavino

*Witty Phrase*
    Years
  • Blah, I can completely relate to this topic. I feel a bit weird about my Pokemon obsession due to my age. I remember Pokemon being the hottest thing in the world up until I got into 8th grade. Then it was like "Hahaha you're a baby 'cause you still play Pokemon!" Ever since I heard a kid being teased about liking Pokemon, I buried my interest in Pokemon deep down inside. I never talked about it to anyone, never took my gameboy in public, and I stopped buying Pokemon cards for fear that my mom or the cashier would tease me. I was so worried about being teased that I treated my obsession like it was some disgusting and shameful secret.

You brave soul lol! I still have issues playing pokemon in public! And having social anxiety doesn't help. I don't exactly know anyone that ridicules people for playing pokemon anymore, but I always get the feeling that people would say something if I started up a pokemon rom on my laptop in the middle of class or something. And my dad? Forget it. Any game that doesn't have any type of violence seems to be "childish" to him. I bet if I showed him how deep the metagame was, though, he'd probably lose brain cells over how much there is to it. Even I can't grasp all of it.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • I've gotten a lot of reactions from little kids when talking about the games, but I think the best reaction I've gotten is when I was talking with my older cousin, who introduced the series to me when I was a little kid, and my younger cousin. My older cousin and I were talking about Gen 1 (He still has his Blue Version, I still have Yellow) and my younger cousin decides to join the conversation. So, my older cousin asks him what his favorite Pokemon is. He says Dialga, and my older cousin gets a bit confused, since he never played past Gen 2, and I tell him a bit about the later generations. I don't know why, but that conversation made me feel a bit old.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Yeah, it seems like interest for the franchise has been dying out during the years. I mean, there are still a lot of fans out there, though it's not really anything big anymore, if it's not something you've been hooked on since you were younger. Most kids today won't appreciate getting any of the older games I imagine, since the graphics and sprites from that time was really bad compared to what we see today, so unless they're real fans, it's not something they would want.

But yeah, I can't exactly say I feel old too, though I really miss the times when the first generation Pokémon were the hit :(

smurf

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    I hate the fact of me an my buddys can talk about old pokemon an games but wen you try to talk to kids today about it there like ive never herd of that pokemon idk if its just me but i can remember about every single pokemon there ever was now i kno i cant recite all them by heart but i guess thats just what growin up in the 1st generation of pokemon does for you

infersaime

Come and get me
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen May 12, 2024
    Well it's the same to people who didn't go past gen 2 thanks to me my cousins knew of gen 4 while I knew about pokemon in gebral thanks to them. One of my teachers bought black or white for her children and she said that in class and almost nobody knews whhat a snivy was. only the first gen and I'm in grade 9.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2019
    I'ts strange sometimes going to school and still playing pokemon if i tell anybody they're like " You still play that stupid game " and other crap like your childish so i just keep it to myself and a few A FEW friends that still play i feel like pokemon has been dieing for some time now and it gets frustrating knowing I was there in its' heyday i have a hard time naming gen V but everything before that i know most everything and i feel really old when i go play my sapphire/red/and silver versions on my ds lite

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2012
    I used to play pretty secretly, too, until I was in college when Platinum came out.. and it turned out that half the people on my dorm floor still played the games too. All secretly, I might add! So, I'm sure there are a lot more of us "geezers" out there than one might think.

Also, I'm a teacher now, and I love my students' reactions when they find out I "still think Pokemon are cool." It lets them see that just because something was part of their childhood, it doesn't mean it is only for children and they have to stop enjoying it when they get older. Being 11-12 year olds, that's a big thing for them-- learning the difference between getting older and "growing up."

Back