• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Kill that zombie, Mom!"

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    So, how do you feel about parents and video games? Does your mfamily have no sympathy when you're two minutes away from the next save point, or are they there battling through the game with you? Or do they only play the classics?

My own mom apparently loved the original Legend of Zelda, and my family used to play OoT and FFVII while my sister and I watched. When I was a baby they would sit me in a chair because I wouldn't sleep and my dad would play Super Mario World, and I would just watch silently for hours and hours. So when I started getting into games myself my mom was more than a little understanding, and she even played an MMO pretty seriously with me for a while.

Edit: Also, how do you feel about parents gaming in general? If you're in an MMO for example, and someone has to go AFK to feed their kid, does it bother you? Should they make a better effort at separating home and game life or is it not a big deal? Do you just find it weird to be playing with parents, young or otherwise?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Doesn't bother me at all!
    I wouldn't mind if I was playing with a 19 year old or 49 year old. As long as they can play the game I am happy with that.

I play a lot of classics; I grew up with them and they will never leave me. I don't think parents, if they grew up with them, would forget them, but whether they embrace the new ones or not, that is down to personal preference.​

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • My parents don't play, but my uncles and grandmother did back when I was growing up. And I wouldn't play on my own, I'd get them to play, cause I'd rather watch, lol. I think it'd be cool if my parents played. :[ My mom and her brother apparently had an Atari 2600 back in the day, and my dad used to like to play a lot of arcade games and was pretty boss at those. But not so much since...I've been around. lol

As for adults in general, I mean, ya gotta feed your kids. So why would I get mad that they're going to do that? I mean, at least they are feeding them! But yeah, I see no problem with parents playing games. If I ever have kids, then that's what they'll have to deal with, is a gamer for a parent.

razzbat

dancer
    Years
  • none of my relatives other than my brother play games. my dad has a medical condition that makes him feel ill when he is around tvs, computers, music and other electrical appliance so he has absolutely no clue about games. my mum is really conservative and doesn't make any attempt to try anything that shes never really done. all my distant relatives are bunch of hippies so they don't find any respect for games.
    some of my friend's parents are really into games so we sometimes end up playing with them which is cool.

Years
  • My parents got me into videogames. My mom loved Super Mario Bros. and I played TMNT II with my dad all the time. But I sucked at both.

And then they got me Zelda, and I actually didn't suck at it. I was about 4 I think. 17 years later Zelda is one of my biggest passions, thanks to my parents. :P

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    My dad has a job in the games industry, so gaming is in my veins. He lets me go on it for a unlimited time, although he does want the TV a lot. I'm usually stuck on my 3DS then.

Years
  • They bother my dad a bit, but he's pretty old-school, and that's only when I play them for hours on end. My mom doesn't really care what games I play, as long as they aren't rated M, and will willingly drive me to the nearest GameStop. It was my mom's idea to get me a Gameboy for my 6th Birthday. The only game that my mother avidly played with us was Mario Kart Wii.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • My parents were never interested in what I was doing in video games. If they wanted me to go somewhere and I was playing a game or something then they'd probably just go anyway and leave me to it lol.

As for them playing the games, I'm not too sure. As far as I know neither of them ever really played any video games because the money to buy them was never there and mum was never that interested in them anyway.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • My parents are old-school and really don't see the point of video games; but they at least recognize that I like them and don't really give me a hard time about them. They pretty much leave me to my own devices in regards to gaming and don't really care what I end up playing.

Years
  • My dad is getting old, but he still plays with me time and time again, namely Guitar Hero and shooters. He loves Far Cry and Crisis.

My mom despises them. Interestingly, she is a beast at Tetris, the best player I know. Give her a Gameboy, and she will go to town. For hours. Its actually pretty hilarious seeing her be all boss at Tetris, and then not know how to turn on the TV.

Other than that, I am all alone. But my Dad does listen and tries to understand my video game talk, which I really appreciate.

Sul_Zala

Collector of tales
    Years
  • Basically copy from the MMO? thread, but whatever.

My parents got me to playing games in the first place. They owned a tabletop game store where you could get many good non-electronic game and we still have a lot of games at home. I was told that whenever my parents we're playing Pen&Paper games with their friends when I was a toddler, I'd be noisy until they placed my traveling bed next to the table.
    But among the extended family, my parents and me are the only ones that are gamers. But to top it, we three play WoW, same server, same faction, same guild and we're generally testing out games together. It's pretty awesome because my parents know now to try and get my attention when I'm in a time run or pull the internet cable at point 11, no matter what I'm doing right now.
    As for parents who have to go afk to feed their kids... Well, I think they're cool, playing and caring for their kids. Those five or ten minutes are totally ok. When I read about that toddler that died of neglect because its mother was busy playing farmville or whatever, I was angry. Angry because that child had to die, angry because a stupid mother wasn't able to manage something that is certainly manageable and angry because the media will make common people think that all gamers are that way.
    And since I'm playing with my parents, it's generally less weird to play with parents, because those are mostly more mature or nice in random groups. Might just be superstition, though.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    Okay, my mom doesn't like me spending to much time on video games, but my dad loves to play Black Ops: Zombies with me. XD

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    My parents have never had an interest in video games. My father tried playing a Need for Speed once and couldn't understand how the joysticks work together lol. My mother can't seem to stand them, and complains whenever I start to get loud with my "video machines" (as she likes to call them.)

So yeah, they're generally not very understanding of my "5 more minutes, this game is almost over!" moments. Shame, I really with my parents had a deeper understanding of video games, like so many of my friends' parents do lol.

Kenpokid

Hee-ho!
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    Haha, my dad loves the old RPGs like Ultima and EverQuest I.
    My mom just likes Bubsy and Mahjong, though :P

Years
  • My dad will occasionally play games with me and he sometimes goes on the ps2 by himself.

For some reason, he doesn't like the current generation of games much.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    My mom only likes games like Mario. My dad? I'm not sure. But I think that he get's his fix of Call of Duty and Battlefield and other first person shooters. But, I've always been allowed to hurry to the next save point if I needed to get off. But... I hardly ever had to. My mom would let me sit for hours on end gaming if that is what I chose to do. Which I did. But I don't do that anymore...

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • My parents were pretty anti-video games when I was a kid. Wouldn't let me have any until they got my brother and I a Gameboy Colour in '98 or '99, and then we were only allowed to play it like 2 hours a week, only on weekends. :/ When we rented an N64 a few times, my brother and I tried our best to get our parents to play Mario Kart with us but they just got motion sickness somehow lmao.

My dad loves watching me play Assassin's Creed or games that look really good. I think he loved some parts of Bioshock... but otherwise he just doesn't care. My mom likes Katamari and always wants me to show it off to visitors or something, but otherwise thinks I play too many of them. (Though, she's the one who told me I should spend my first-ever paycheque on an Xbox 360 so... XD)

I really wish my parents were into games. They'll keep up with the latest consoles and read articles on game companies if they're in the paper or something but I really wish I could play games with them. I just remembered my mom likes Tetris though. I might load that up and lend her my DS during the plane trip we're taking Friday and see if she'll play VS with me. :)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • My mom likes to watch me play The Beatles: Rock Band, and oddly... Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood. XD She likes the architecture.

Back