• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Kotone's English Name

How did you feel about Kotone's Official English Name?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charizard632

Now a great Touhou addict
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jul 6, 2012
    Kotone is the female player from Heart Gold and Soul Silver. My favorite part about Kotone is her hat. It looks cute on her. I think Kotone's English name should be Kristen.

ConnoRAWR

Twitter Username; ConnoRAWR :D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2014
    The name should be something japanese-y but still kinda english...
    like Mayori or something

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I think it will be whatever the anime dub calls her

MizuJosh

Graceful Water Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2010
    I would like Kristin, but Kotone just seems to suit her right now. :/
    Mayori sounds too much like May though.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Im sure it will be Kotone. In the anime her name was Kotone so in the game it should be like that too :P
    It was her name in the Anime too, because only the Japanese version of that episode was released. The American dub has not yet been released.

I also like Kristen, but, I guess Nintendo will call her whatever Kotone is related to in America, I guess. :\

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Kotone wouldn't be bad. Perhaps Maria, even though it was meant as a joke. It suits her design, somewhat.

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
    I really doubt it will be Kotone. They don't keep the Japanese names unless it fits, like Erika, and Kotone isn't a common name in the US. I think it might be Melody or Harmony, keeping with the music theme in the Japanese names.

Asgard

Why you little...
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 31, 2020
    I still call her Soul... ;w; However, I think Kristen would be a good name. It's sort of like Kotone (like it starts with a K and there's an N near the end lolol) and it's somewhat like Crystal... even though the games aren't Crystal but the old girl was from Crystal SO :I

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    A direct translation to the closest name would say that her English name could be Melody, which is a nice name.

PokemonMasterX

Also known as MysteriexMKII basically everywhere e
    Years
    Its Soul. Since your rival is silver and the original female was crystal they named her soul. just liek how the new girl was named leaf in fr/lg. but she is also referred to as blue (since she is called this in the manga and since no character has the name blue anymore since the guy who was blue is now green) so wait until the manga comes out or something that might have a good name for her.....or just go with Soul. The names for the characters for the first two generation were based off of the game names in America. and fr/lg still followed that rule so that might apply here too.....

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2014
    They usually give the girls names that could be used as a pun in an episode title. (We've seen this with Misty, May and Dawn.)

"The Misty Mermaid."
    "May, We Harley Drew'd Ya." 3 names used as pun.
    "Dawn of a New Era."

I've read that Kotone's name means "sound of the harp." So it could be either Melody (like others have said) or something like Harper.

...No, that would imply they are catering to the anime. The May one isn't even a pun using her name. But please don't act like those anime episodes were pre-meditated and were the basis of their names, because they weren't.

Years
    ...No, that would imply they are catering to the anime. The May one isn't even a pun using her name. But please don't act like those anime episodes were pre-meditated and were the basis of their names, because they weren't.

Okay... (The episode "Come What May?" is a pun, though.)

I'm not acting like the episodes were "pre-meditated." It's just in the past, the main girl's names were a play on words in the American version of the games, and in the anime. It could just be a coincidence that all their names are like that. It might be the same way with Kotone, but then again, she's not a main character in the anime. She's a reoccuring character. I just wanted to acknowledge the pattern in the American names.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
    Some people have said Melody, but wasn't there a Melody in the second movie? Seems unlikely they'd reuse it; even if she's a minor character.

I hope it isn't Soul, that's an awful name for anyone. I definitely think something musical though, like Harmony or Bell.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back