• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ASM & Hex] Lapras ride in FireRed

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
Years
  • Okay. How could I make a Lapras sprite show up during the "use" animation? If I can't do that, how can I disable it?

You should take a look at the existing Surf script. It sets the appropriate Pokemon into a buffer and then uses that when it calls the animation command. Just find where it sets the buffer and hijack it to set Lapras instead.

Years
  • I've been trying that. Apparently, it determines what Pokemon the animation uses from the checkattack command. I tried different combinations of bufferpokemon, bufferpartypokemon, and
    setanimation in XSE, and no combination did it for me.
    I'm guessing there is an ASM routine in the game that has a line where the Surf overworld sprite index is called on. In its place you could probably put a routine that checks if you are using the Lapras item, and if so then it branches off to an alternate routine that uses the different sprite index, and otherwise goes to the normal Surf routine.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • I've been trying that. Apparently, it determines what Pokemon the animation uses from the checkattack command. I tried different combinations of bufferpokemon, bufferpartypokemon, and
    setanimation in XSE, and no combination did it for me.

As I mentioned in the discord, I reverse engineered this stuff a few years ago, just no longer remember how. Recently, I found my old mediafire account and my old hack was in there coincidentally. I thought of you and decompiled some of the scripts which utilized this. Here is what I got:
    writebytetooffset 0x11 0x20386E0
    writebytetooffset 0x0 0x20386E1
    writebytetooffset 0x0 0x20386E2
    writebytetooffset 0x0 0x20386E3
    This makes Pidgeotto appear for animation, I guess that's where the buffer is. Try it out!

Back