• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PCL] League Create-A-Team (OU) [Suggest teammates for Mega Scizor!]

What should be the team's first Pokemon?

• Total voters
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday

League Create-A-Team (OU) [Suggest teammates for Mega Scizor!]
    League Create-A-Team (OU)
    League Create-A-Team (OU) [Suggest teammates for Mega Scizor!]

Welcome! This new event is intended to help league members improve their team building by going through the process with others. The entire league will collaborate and make an OU team together! Non-league members are welcome too. A simple outline will be followed: decide the first Pokemon to use → team style (e.g. hyper offense, bulky offense, balance, semi-stall, and stall; click here for info) → individual teammates → playtesting and reassessment. Each section will go through discussion and suggestions, then a quick poll.

With that said, we first need to figure out what Pokemon to start with. Preferably an offensive Pokemon that can act as a win condition (e.g. a sweeper), which will give the team a goal to execute.

Feel free to ask any questions in this thread!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 22
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 4, 2015
    I think we should start with none other than Garchomp!

Do you want me to add all the other info? Or will that be done as a group?

Either way, I was thinking of a hyper offensive team. They are most definitely the most fun.

srinator

I think it would be wise to first start a poll with the various play styles, and make it a thing for every pcl member to have to vote and participate in this. After the style is selected we can go on from there.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Ehh, the way this is set up right now makes it impossible for us to even get through the first step. There's way too many Pokemon to choose from, and way too many opinions to consider. I'd much rather vote on what playstyle first than an actual Pokemon because at least that way we'd be able to cut down on the options.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Hyper offense, bulky offense, and balance are probably going to be the popular team choices, while sweepers and breakers are going to be the popular Pokemon choices regardless of the team style choice. So, we wouldn't be cutting down on the available Pokemon at all, unless people suddenly have an interest in stall. As far as I know, Smogon's Community Create-A-Team has always voted on the first Pokemon then the team style after that, and it has worked out for them.

But it doesn't really which one comes first. A poll is up! I didn't include weather, Baton Pass, Trick Room, etc. because they wouldn't be good ways for new battlers to learn the metagame. They have a high learning curve, require a different team building approach, and all that jazz.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Semi Stall sounds interesting. I suppose a win cond would be something like M-Sable or M-Bro.

Also something that's been bugging me for a while: in terms of difficulty, which playstyle is the easiest to build for, which one is the hardest and, in general, what would a hierarchy in difficulty, containing all playstyles, look like? While looking through tons of ressources, some say Offense is the most difficult, some say Stall and others say Balance, so it would be cool, to get a definite answer for that. :)

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
    Years
    I think Mega Lopunny would be great, it's one of the best pokemon right now and the easiest to work with as a physical sweeper. And I recommend going balanced, because despite the fact that hyper offensive is easier to start with, balanced is a nice stepping stone to world of semi-stall, defensive as well as offensive teams.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    The difference with Smogon and us is that... Smogon knows what they are doing :p

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    i think balance would be the easiest choice, and it if veers into semi-stall or bulky offense, i don't think that's the end of the world.

i don't care what we use, but if we end up with garchomp/latios/keldeo/landorus-t/mega metagross/some bs filler like raikou, i will be most unamused. we can have a little more creativity than that, surely.

anyway, i have somehow never used mega scizor so i'll vote for him, but if we want a non mega selection, i'll say gengar (a more mainstream but very nice poke) or togekiss (less so but seems plenty usable to me). the other suggestions would work as well.

srinator

I would vote dragonite, probably every good battler here and on the server says its bs, but i think there is potential in it. if we are going to vote for a mon i vote for dnite.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    i shall vote mega gyarados!!! and i voted bulky offense because i find it interesting but it would work on others as well

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    people vote for balance pls. also im going with mega scizor too, cool mon #noticemeantisepai

srinator

i voted for hyper offense, so we can all learn a thing or two about proper offensive synergy, which is actually a really important thing if you like to play offensive.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
    Mega Scizor sounds great! I have never used it either.

Either balance or bulky offense sounds nice for this first team. I definitely need to improve my teambuilding, so I'm looking forward to this event!

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Bulky offense gets my vote. It's easier to use as opposed to hyper offense, while still giving us the chance to learn more about offensive synergy.

Bulky offense and balance are now tied. I'll leave the poll open till tomorrow afternoon EDT to give any others a chance to vote (cough Anti). If it's still tied I'll flip a coin.

Sirfetch’d

As much as I love HO with it being my favorite playstyle and all, I voted for bulky offense. I think it's the best style to start this with and can help us have a team with more synergy as wolf pointed out.

Back