• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Legalizing Marijuana

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    Marijuana is a plant that has many, many properties and effects you your body and brain upon it entering your body. Be they good, or be they bad, they are there. This thread is to discuss whether the possible benefits outweigh the caveats. More in, would legalizing help/ruin countries that are afflicted by the desire to toke up?

Anyway, if one couldn't guess, I hold a strong pro-marijuana stance. However... I believe legalization would be an abomination. If it was decriminalized... however, that would be entirely different.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Props to you, Alley Cat. I feel the same way.

Marijuana is so poorly treated in the US. It's classified as a Schedule I drug, up there along with amphetamine, heroin and plenty of others. The only argument that opponents can strongly hold is that marijuana acts as a gateway drug. While it does, to those who actually graduate onto stronger substance abuse, it's not necessarily a gateway drug. As a regular smoker myself, I've been presented multiple opportunities to try mushrooms, acid and ecstasy. I haven't, nor do I want to. Marijuana does it for me. After a long hard day, it's nice to just relax and smoke a bowl. Watch some TV shows or play some video games.

Besides the recreational use, marijuana has been proved to help medical conditions. While it can't cure anything, it can definitely dampen symptoms. My uncle has MS, and thankfully in Canada we've legalized medical marijuana, and he can choose to smoke it if he pleases. I don't think he does, though. But that's personal choice. I'm glad that the US is slowly starting to recognize marijuana as a medicine and are at least legalizing it for that purpose.

Apart from that, do I really need to state the obvious? The government would profit incredibly through taxing marijuana. They've decriminalized tobacco and alcohol usage and these have and will kill more than marijuana has, combined. Total overdoses on marijuana: 0.

It's simple, really. All you've got to do is regulate it just like we do alcohol. Under my jurisdiction, any persons of age 18 and above could legally buy, possess and use marijuana, for medicinal or recreational purposes. Of course, one would not be encouraged to drive while high, and employers would have legal stance to fire an employee if he were to come to work high.

Through decriminalization and regulation, the cartel will no longer be a part of the drug trade. We wouldn't have a War on Drugs because we'd have already won against it. It would be entirely under our control. The next step would be to properly educate students at a young age about its effects, both psychological and physical. The different possible ways of consuming it (smoking, edibles, vaporizing) and how each of these effect the body differently. I have to hold myself from laughter when I meet people who expect weed brownies/cookies to work immediately. They keep eating them until finally, about an hour later, they get hit like a brick wall from the high.

Governments are going about this completely wrong. They're so focused on manipulating their people through fear. "Don't do this or you'll be fined/incarcerated." How about having a little faith in your people?

Legalizing Marijuana

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    I agree with everything you say there, and it'd be a shame to let the government get their mitts on Marijuana, but perhaps, inevitable. The reason is that they would impose taxes, and most likely, as it is with tobacco, make it illegal to grow. Where I live, that would be monstrous to EVERYONE. We depend on growing our weed and selling. I live in the Emerald Triangle, and I know people who make their living solely off of growing and selling pot. There would be BILLIONS of dollars in lost revenue in the Emerald Triangle if they could no longer produce weed, something that I personally am concerned with.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Eh, I'm not one for this sort of topic, as I have limited knowledge. I guess I'm quite against smoking, and drugs, and bounds are - if you've been smoking Cannabis, you'll be smelly and I won't want to go anywhere near you.

I'd say I'm against messing with how you're body works with drugs, but I suppose there are exceptions if it's medical. Again, I've got limited knowledge about this subject so feel free to correct me if I've said something really stupid.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    How tobacco can be legal, yet weed can't, I will never understand.

All the main points have been covered, but to add what's been said, marijuana acting as a gateway drug would be far less significant if it were to be legalised. You might as well make the same argument to say all drinkers could eventually drink drive, or all smokers could eventually become a dealer of illegal drugs.

Once you decriminalise it, the way it becomes a 'gateway drug' will be decreased simultaneously. If you're getting it from the store, rather than a shady dealer, you're far less likely to end up moving on to worse things. That's the way a lot of dealers (read: not all) operate; they start you off on weed, then try to work you onto other, harder drugs, because it's their source of income. It's all about money, and if the government intervene then it's the most effective way to prevent people from obtaining harder drugs and to regulate those who do use weed.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I'm more against this mainly because I know so many people who dropped out of school because they got addicted to weed and they put getting high as a priority to everything else. I probably don't know much about marijuana so I don't have a good argument but I just don't want to see more of my peers throwing their lives away to get high.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I'm more against this mainly because I know so many people who dropped out of school because they got addicted to weed and they put getting high as a priority to everything else. I probably don't know much about marijuana so I don't have a good argument but I just don't want to see more of my peers throwing their lives away to get high.

That's more of a problem with them personally rather than weed itself. If weed wasn't around, they probably would have found something else instead. Many people have failed at education due to alcohol, but that's no reason to ban alcohol.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    Eh, I'm not one for this sort of topic, as I have limited knowledge. I guess I'm quite against smoking, and drugs, and bounds are - if you've been smoking Cannabis, you'll be smelly and I won't want to go anywhere near you.

I'd say I'm against messing with how you're body works with drugs, but I suppose there are exceptions if it's medical. Again, I've got limited knowledge about this subject so feel free to correct me if I've said something really stupid.

You've said nothing stupid. It's a pretty valid point that you've raised, people shouldn't be doing something that destroys their health. But, weed is less harmful than both alcohol and tobacco. As for the smell, most tokers I know usually carry around some kind of cologne or perfume to cover up the smell of smoked weed.

How tobacco can be legal, yet weed can't, I will never understand.

All the main points have been covered, but to add what's been said, marijuana acting as a gateway drug would be far less significant if it were to be legalised. You might as well make the same argument to say all drinkers could eventually drink drive, or all smokers could eventually become a dealer of illegal drugs.

Once you decriminalise it, the way it becomes a 'gateway drug' will be decreased simultaneously. If you're getting it from the store, rather than a shady dealer, you're far less likely to end up moving on to worse things. That's the way a lot of dealers (read: not all) operate; they start you off on weed, then try to work you onto other, harder drugs, because it's their source of income. It's all about money, and if the government intervene then it's the most effective way to prevent people from obtaining harder drugs and to regulate those who do use weed.

I don't think it is so much of a gateway drug as it is... a common drug. You're a more likely to find someone who smoke weeds than someone who does something more extreme. Because weed is more plentiful and not as valuable as the other drugs, it gets around a lot more and people get to it first. Then they start hearing about harder stuff, like you said, and that's how they move on.

Where I live, though, the dealers are friendly. Everyone pretty much knows each other, and if you don't, people will still supply you with your money's worth and probably even toke up with you from their personal stash. I know it isn't like that everywhere, but not all dealers are cold and greedy.

Like Vendak said, that's on their own volition. I would say over half of my high school, and most of the teachers all smoke pot. We all come to school everyday and move onto to graduate. There are some though, that let the party life control them, but again, that's the not the fault of the drugs or whatever, it's the fault of them being weak-minded, or not setting their priorities straight.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Apart from all the things said before, I really don't see what the big issue is with weed. Okay and I'm not biased just cause I live in a place where it is legal, but it really isn't all that bad (weed itself, not the criminalisation around it). Alcohol has way worse effects on your body and that's legal so I don't get what the fuss is around marijuana lol.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
    I don't like weed - at all. But I do not think that people that do smoke weed should be sent to prison. Rather, legalize it and place some taxes on it; I am sure it would be sold cheaper than it is now even with a 15% tax. It would help our economy and provide a buffer for many who we could consider "good" or "decent" citizens.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    I don't like weed - at all. But I do not think that people that do smoke weed should be sent to prison. Rather, legalize it and place some taxes on it; I am sure it would be sold cheaper than it is now even with a 15% tax. It would help our economy and provide a buffer for many who we could consider "good" or "decent" citizens.

It depends on where you live, really. I can get my weed really cheap. Around 40 an oz, and less from my usual dealer. He hooks me up with a free ounce from time to time and always gives me double to triple my money's worth. As for the legalizing, yes, it would help the general economy of the US. As for my local economy, it would completely wreck it. The Weed is industry is centered right where I am, and we should be allowed to continue it. The government isn't stepping in and trying have total control over all the other industries(bar tobacco and a few others I suppose.) They would, most likely, regulate the production here extremely, which would mean that a majority of the people in my and the neighboring counties would lose billions of dollars in profit, and that just doesn't seem right, stripping something of it's biggest industry. I'm not just saying that because it's where I live either, I'd have much the same stance if I lived anywhere else.

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Who cares? It's the same as tobacco in my book, I don't get what the gripe is all about. Both are things you shouldn't be doing in a public establishment, but I have no problem with you doing it outside or in your home. No clue why it's still illegal in the US.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022

Smoking marijuana doesn't make you smelly. It will if you like to carry the plant on you, because if anything emits a scent, it's the flower itself. Not the smoke. But smoking cannabis is not similar to smoking cigarettes. The smell is much less harsh and dissolves quickly. It also changes on how you're smoking it. Smoking through a pipe leaves no traces of smell. A joint may leave the hand with which you were holding it a bit smelly.

No problems with you being against messing around with your body, so long as you don't have any problems with me messing with mine.

Weed is not addictive. Anyone with proper self-restraint can prioritize correctly and not let that happen to themselves. If they succumb that easily to something like pot, chances are they would have done it with something else if pot hadn't entered their lives.

It depends on where you live, really. I can get my weed really cheap. Around 40 an oz, and less from my usual dealer. He hooks me up with a free ounce from time to time and always gives me double to triple my money's worth. As for the legalizing, yes, it would help the general economy of the US. As for my local economy, it would completely wreck it. The Weed is industry is centered right where I am, and we should be allowed to continue it. The government isn't stepping in and trying have total control over all the other industries(bar tobacco and a few others I suppose.) They would, most likely, regulate the production here extremely, which would mean that a majority of the people in my and the neighboring counties would lose billions of dollars in profit, and that just doesn't seem right, stripping something of it's biggest industry. I'm not just saying that because it's where I live either, I'd have much the same stance if I lived anywhere else.

That's really nice for you, and I see where you're coming from. You can just hope that the government recognizes the Emerald Triangle and goes to them on growing. They will need growers to grow the plant, which will create jobs. However, they will probably want the grower to be certified in some way. I'm not exactly sure if you can study and get a degree in Agriculture, but they'd probably want something like that. Just so that they can say they're selling you the very best you can get. Cause if marijuana is ever decriminalized, the government has to look like a good guy in the eyes of those who still want it illegal. They'll wanna say "if we're offering our people something, might as well offer them the cleanest and most well-grown plants."

At least...I hope that's how they would go about it.

Years
    I don't really have any problems with weed, it's not like you can't get addicted to tobacco, yet that's legal, as Penatrait said, as long as you can restrain yourself, nbd.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    That's really nice for you, and I see where you're coming from. You can just hope that the government recognizes the Emerald Triangle and goes to them on growing. They will need growers to grow the plant, which will create jobs. However, they will probably want the grower to be certified in some way. I'm not exactly sure if you can study and get a degree in Agriculture, but they'd probably want something like that. Just so that they can say they're selling you the very best you can get. Cause if marijuana is ever decriminalized, the government has to look like a good guy in the eyes of those who still want it illegal. They'll wanna say "if we're offering our people something, might as well offer them the cleanest and most well-grown plants."

At least...I hope that's how they would go about it.
    The real problem is that the Policeman's union (which will be getting more funding for busting people on non-crimes) is going to have much more political power than the potential pot-grower's union, and few politicians are willing to support legalization anyway lest they lose the soccer mom/insane ultra-right vote. Politics suck.

Gamzee

light my fire
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    I smoke the herb at least five times a week.

I am in my second semester of college and getting enough scholarships that I'm literally being payed to go to college. (I have about $3000 left over each semester to spend on whatever I want).

I know exactly what I wish to major in: English.

I have written and completed one book.

There's only two problems with Marijuana: It can get a bit costly depending on where you live, and we waste too much time and money and energy chasing after some kids who want to smoke a joint instead of going after actual, harmful criminals.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    ^ My tip, hit up Northern Cali sometime. It'll be worth the trip.

If weed was decriminalized, then people could no longer get arrested for it. They wouldn't take up space in jails and prisons, and would only be fined. If all the people in a lot of jails and prisons that were arrested on a marijuana charged were set free, then we suddenly wouldn't have an over crowding anymore. They would just simply pay their fine, and get on with it. They could appeal, I suppose, but it wouldn't get them very far. And in that respect, if you get caught with marijuana and don't have a card, then you kind of deserve to pay a fine. :L Don't get caught next time.

Not gonna lie here, it'd be pretty dang cool to walk into the store and buy a pack of joints. Of course.. I'd probably have to be 18... but still.

Last edited:

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
    ^ My tip, hit up Northern Cali sometime. It'll be worth the trip.

If weed was decriminalized, then people could no longer get arrested for it. They wouldn't take up space in jails and prisons, and would only be fined. If all the people in a lot of jails and prisons that were arrested on a marijuana charged were set free, then we suddenly wouldn't have an over crowding anymore. They would just simply pay their fine, and get on with it. They could appeal, I suppose, but it wouldn't get them very far. And in that respect, if you get caught with marijuana and don't have a card, then you kind of deserve to pay a fine. :L Don't get caught next time.

Not gonna lie here, it'd be pretty dang cool to walk into the store and buy a pack of joints. Of course.. I'd probably have to be 18... but still.

I know, it's ridiculous that the taxpayers have to pay for all of the overcrowded prisons, not to mention the inequitable sentencing for marijuana possession and use. In most states, the average sentencing for minor possession is 1-3 years, then second offenses are on average, 3-15 years; the average sentencing for rape is 6 years in the United States!!! Again, I don't think smoking marijuana is a good idea beyond whatever the law states, but there is no reason to put anyone in prison for possessing it. Even a small fine would be excessive, but at least it would be much less severe. I think that the government should create jobs, and manufacture weed and sell it, period. Then place restrictions on the usage that are similar to alcohol. Ex. Driving under the influence of Marijuana. The only problem is going to be gauging the amount of marijuana in the system and how long it has been in there. I know that if you smoked marijuana a week ago, it will still be in your system, but not affecting your mood. Does anyone know if there is any specific tool that they can use to determine the last time the drug was used?

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    I've smoked weed quite a lot before. I find it greatly enhances the creative mind, I've come up with quite a lot of ideas for songs and stuff when high.

It belongs with tobacco and alcohol. in that sort of category.

Years
    I'm definitely an advocate of marijuana. along with psychedelic drugs like LSD, shrooms, MDMA, etc. There are obvious and definite medical benefits from using the drug, I feel it is ultimately a person's choice whether or not they want to put something in their body, it's safer than alcohol/cigs, etc. There's really no real reason not to legalize it.

Back