• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Legendary Mascots Discussion & Speculation

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
Years
  • It is hard to tell what these pokemon typing are going to be from the trailer.

I am kinda hoping for another Fairy type. I guess the bat like one could be a fairy. Currently I am going with Pokemon Sun, but will probably eventually get Moon.

Right. The bat-like one would be a fairy, a dark fairy, a dark and evil fairy. Hoo Hoo Ha Ha Ha Ha.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    I just have this feeling that the sun legendary will be fire/psychic, and the moon one will be ghost/fairy.

I Guess I'm going with moon.

I too think Ghost/Fairy for Lunaala and its attack will be something like CrescentNight

I think Solgaleo will be Fire/Rock and its attack... SolarFlare

Years
  • I too think Ghost/Fairy for Lunaala and its attack will be something like CrescentNight

I think Solgaleo will be Fire/Rock and its attack... SolarFlare

Crescent Night and Solar Flare... those are names I wouldn't mind for the signature moves. Could see the moves being Fairy and Fire based on the animations that were shown briefly in the Japanese trailer.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • Ghost/Fairy and Fire/Psychic seems like a safe bet. And as some people mentioned, Lunaala looks like a dreamcatcher, which is a contradiction by itself: Ghost types being associated with nightmares and Fairies associated with hopes and dreams. The more I think about it, the more I prefer Lunaala. It seems GF decided to put more energy in its design as opposed to Solgaleo, which has a few turn offs for me: For starters, the name. I just can't seem to like it.
    Second of all, why a lion? So many felines introduced lately...I don't like it. 3rd, by the looks of their attacks I can already say Lunaala's got the better edge, the animation is more menacing, it has some connection to the legendary and its designs, etc.

Years
  • The attacks might be regularised between them, so they might not end up that different in the end. They might hence end up quite similar, and perhaps have certain, legendary-associated moves in common. Perhaps the lion could have some sort of Solar Beam-related gimmick, to make up for its being a repetition of earlier designs, mostly? Maybe they have an excuse to spam the caves with Zubat and such even more than ever before now, thematically. Perhaps that is what they really mean when they say that all of their previous game design ideas come together.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Didn't like the mascots design honestly...

What parts didn't you like about them? Too many body features? Unbelievable? Honestly I think they're a bit too much compared to legendaries of past but I think we should get used to them by the time we battle them in-game (and probably lose...)

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2017
    After examining them multiple times, I believe that Lunaala could be a Fairy/Psychic type. When I first looked at Lunaala during the gameplay trailer, I thought it would be Dark/Flying like Yvetal. However, I realized it didn't look as dark as Yvetal. It looked pretty majestic, similar to Cresselia. Because of Cresselia, which is the Lunar Pokemon, being a Psychic type, I would think that Lunaala would also be one too. The two moves that are associated with the moon are fairy type moves.

Years
  • They might not want to give the version legendaries abilities like Levitate, given their recent attempts to give them different abilities and such. Still, if they don't go down a Flying-type route, that might come into play, so we'll see what happens there.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Not everything has to have levitate to be able to fly. Some naturally have the power to hover and that can be included in the ability description (but not what it actually does). I'm still betting on Dark/Fairy though. Or Dark/Psychic... definitely Dark-type though. Look at its face, what exactly looks friendly about it? ...yeah. Nothing. It's gotta be Dark-something.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Well , I'm expecting Sun Legendary to be Planet busting level ! He should able to generate same amount of energy as the Sun.
    His ability should be something related to Sun and he should have a signature move where he create a Sun to attack his foe.

Years
  • I hope they will do something new with the legends. like something darker...for the story..maybe there will be a team pushed by the losses of the pokemon ..they try to obtain the power of the moon/sun to revive the already gone pokemon... and the experiment goes wrong.... than the two new legends could be something like keeper of the living and dead?...maybe new types...light and fury or something like that

Years
  • I don't know if this has been brought up yet but, who thinks Solgaleo/Lunaala will follow in the footsteps of the recent legendary mascots and be a forced capture?

I know Kyurem in B2/W2 was a twist to this in that you had to defeat it on the first encounter due to being under Ghetsis' command, and OR/AS had a forced capture, but it was Rayquaza and in the post-game only Delta Episode.

Reshiram/Zekrom and Xerneas/Yveltal were the mascots of their generation's first games and both required to be caught to advance the plot, so I could see this pattern happening again.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I don't know if this has been brought up yet but, who thinks Solgaleo/Lunaala will follow in the footsteps of the recent legendary mascots and be a forced capture?

I know Kyurem in B2/W2 was a twist to this in that you had to defeat it on the first encounter due to being under Ghetsis' command, and OR/AS had a forced capture, but it was Rayquaza and in the post-game only Delta Episode.

Reshiram/Zekrom and Xerneas/Yveltal were the mascots of their generation's first games and both required to be caught to advance the plot, so I could see this pattern happening again.
    Depends how they portray the game, in XY, I think capturing the legendary was something to calm it down and not activate the Secret weapon or whatever (also to publicize & appeal pokémon to younger kids so that they'll stick with Pokémon since kids nowadays don't have the best patience/temper?)
    But I think they will make it a forced capture again due to appealing the younger generation, but otherwise I hope they make it something like in HeartGold & SoulSilver, that if you didn't capture the legendary the first time, in post game you can go back and get it.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I'm 75% sure ORAS didn't have forced capture with Kyogre and Groudon, although it may have been the case with Rayquaza. IIRC, if you accidentally faint Kyogre/Groudon, they'll still be there to catch later, right? I may be misremembering...

At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised if Lunaala and Solgaleo were to be force captured. From the looks of things, they seem to pretty plot-central Pokemon.
    They were available after defeating Steven if you knocked them out.

Years
  • At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised if Lunaala and Solgaleo were to be force captured. From the looks of things, they seem to pretty plot-central Pokemon.

I can definitely see them being plot-central, and if you saw their appearance in the recent trailer there were two stones on both sides, both being shaped like the game logos. That makes me believe these stones might be a shrine that's used to honour Solgaleo and Lunaala and they end up summoning there.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2017
    What parts didn't you like about them? Too many body features? Unbelievable? Honestly I think they're a bit too much compared to legendaries of past but I think we should get used to them by the time we battle them in-game (and probably lose...)

They look robotic not mythical beasts..

Years
  • They look robotic not mythical beasts..

I personally think Solgaleo and Lunala don't look as complicated as most legendaries have been lately. The other new Pokemon so far all have a "simple" feel to their designs and I feel the simplicity is coming back for legendaries as well.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2017
    I personally think Solgaleo and Lunala don't look as complicated as most legendaries have been lately.

I don't know what you're talking about.. I liked how gen6 had legendary designs not complicated and also not too much of them.. all gen7 legandery so far look robotic..
    The problem is I didn't feel we got in depth story about them..(Xerneas Yeveltal and nothing about Zygarde wtf..)

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I don't know what you're talking about.. I liked how gen6 had legendary designs not complicated and also not too much of them.. all gen7 legandery so far look robotic..
    The problem is I didn't feel we got in depth story about them..(Xerneas Yeveltal and nothing about Zygarde wtf..)

I have to agree. Solgaleo and Lunala's designs make me think of Reshiram and Zekrom in terms of how robotic they look. Not as bad as Dialga and Palkia though.

Meanwhile the the XYZ trio looked the most organic looking since the Weather trio. Well Zygarde's complete forme did take away that more organic look, it looks like a mecha, which is ironic considering that it's meant to restore the ecosystem.

Back