• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's Try to Get the Poetry Section Active

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    That sounds good, Oni. Maybe there should be like 5 or 4 people along with the 'judges' to pick a prompt for every 2 weeks. And if this is a 'contest' the winner can get a Shiny EV'd Pokemon of mine, if they do have Wi-Fi, and if they don't have Wi-Fi we can do somthing else. I think it would be good if the judges were Oni and Hanonko. And to get PC's attention maybe Oni could post about the contests where he/or is it she(?) will think it will get some attention. Oh, another good idea if you win is for you to get a colored usertitle/name until the next contest.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    No! The prize is...

You get your name in green or some different colour!

How about that?

I said that, but I think a usertitle color would be better because it is only for 2 weeks. And it also depends on how hard/long it takes to change someones usertitle/name.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    No prize but bragging rights and recognition. Winning a poetry contest here isn't worth a colored name, not even an usertitle. Not a good idea... Sorry to disappoint the materialists.

The only reason I thought of that is if someone doesn't have Wi-Fi.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Does there have to be some sort of extrinsic reward to this? Can't you people just write poetry because you just like to write poetry? The reward to this is that this section sees some more activity, people are writing poems they might never would have thought up, and people are reading more poems than they would have. That's it. And yes, as Oni Pichu said, you can get bragging rights if you want to say you wrote a poem. You can also get more recognition as people realize "Hey, that person wrote a really good poem! I hope they write more!"

No user name coloration changes, no special user title, no special picture to stick into a signature, and no shiny Pokemon give-aways.

Goodness, people, just write a poem because you feel inspired by the prompt, not because you want to get some cheap prize!

I'm unsure yet how to promote this activity, but I'm sure some ideas will spring forth.

moody_cow_

Stenchgirl
    Years
  • Does there have to be some sort of extrinsic reward to this? Can't you people just write poetry because you just like to write poetry? The reward to this is that this section sees some more activity, people are writing poems they might never would have thought up, and people are reading more poems than they would have. That's it. And yes, as Oni Pichu said, you can get bragging rights if you want to say you wrote a poem. You can also get more recognition as people realize "Hey, that person wrote a really good poem! I hope they write more!"

No user name coloration changes, no special user title, no special picture to stick into a signature, and no shiny Pokemon give-aways.

Goodness, people, just write a poem because you feel inspired by the prompt, not because you want to get some cheap prize!

I'm unsure yet how to promote this activity, but I'm sure some ideas will spring forth.

Lol, hear hear sister! =D I mean don't get me wrong, I love winning prizes as much as the next person, and I like my work to recognized or considered good, but nothing beats the feeling I get after finishing a poem. It just feels great to know you've accomplished something and it's makes you feel all proud and good! Even f you do instantly dislike it like five minutes later because you tons of other work that way better! =( Lol, just kidding, sort of! But erm yes, I don't write my poetry for prizes but just the hope that I'll reach someone and that someone will connect to I and like it! =D

BUT, I also understand what Ikasu and Lord94 mean with the whole prize thing because it would attract alot more people to get involved because there are quite a few people out there that are just desperate for recognition and also sometimes it's just nice to be noticed and rewarded for your work as amateur poets and writers so hardly are.

But yes, as Imentioned earlier in this thread, I don't much like the idea of winners being picked because that makes it a competition meaning we're competing against each other, not supporting each other like we should be! So I think we should just keep this a friendly fun challenge without having to worry about winning prizes or anything! =)

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    But there has to be somthing that doesn't make it look like we are competeing against each other, but will gather a lot of attention, to even people new to poetry.

Romance Hero

문법의 경찰!
    Years
  • Would winning such contests in PC appear in our Usernotes? ( I feel like I'm being ignored and a second party speaker, nonetheless, viva the poetry section.)

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Perhaps a sort of picture of something to stick in the signature that says "Participant of PC's Poetry Section Revival Prompt Session!" with a link back to the main thread of this thing. People who don't know what it is will be curious and might check it out and join, and everyone who participates gets some sort of extrinsic reward. This way, there's no competition for the pretty item, everyone gets something to show off to others, and it could work as an advertisement.

Last edited:

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    If you win, you're added to the Fame list on the contest. Not more.

And I believe we should make this monthly. Fourteen days might be a bit harder to categorize.

Isn't one month a long time to make a poem? I think to keep it active, fourteen would be the best.

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2009
    Ummm~ n.n wow, there's so much chatter here in just a day. >-< it's hard to keep up.

Heh, I agree with Hanako and Moody Cow equally on the no contest thing. Prizes are rewarding... to some extent, but for this it wouldn't help with creativity much, it would just add a whole lot of confliction and useless stress.

Oni Pichu, I dissagree with the month. >_> it's a poem, not a chapter... but just for a prompt, I still say a two week period is enough. Or maybe every 22 days (^_^ lucky number <33) but that would be unordered eventually... =\
    It DOES take time though... so maybe you're right~ I won't say anymore with that ^^

As for "advertising" ... well, we could each put links in our signatures seperately if it was something we wanted, But, I guess I feel it's not extremely important to make Everyone write a poem. It would be really cool, and sweet to read them all, but if people write pointlessly it sort of loses it's soul and meaning. So, really you can't force people to write if they don't want to.

^^; I love the idea though~ I'm not a bad guy D:

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2009
    Ah coolie, I didn't know. ^^;
    A poem's no where near a story though... that's all I was saying. Well, it is, but in not so many...words =\ (does that even make sense?)

Either way I'm not dissagreeing with you, just stating my opinion. n.n
    That way IF you do post prompts to write by there would be around, 24 for the entire year, instead of just 12.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Perhaps a sort of picture of something to stick in the signature that says "Participant of PC's Poetry Section Revival Prompt Session!" with a link back to the main thread of this thing. People who don't know what it is will be curious and might check it out and join, and everyone who participates gets some sort of extrinsic reward. This way, there's no competition for the pretty item, everyone gets something to show off to others, and it could work as an advertisement.

That's a very good idea, and I'd like to add to it. We could have more than 1 type of button thing. They will all have a link to the fourm that the contest takes place. and the different buttons will be-
    1. somthing saying that you participat in the Poetry Contest
    and every time you win you get upgraded to buttons that say 'Winner of Poetry Contest' then 'Advanced Poem Writer in the Poetry Contest' if you win two or more contests. And each button will be a different color, and you can put them in your signature.

If you win, you're added to the Fame list on the contest. Not more.

And I believe we should make this monthly. Fourteen days might be a bit harder to categorize.

I'd rather the poetry contest to be just 14 days, or to be easier, just 2 contests each month, so it won't be exactly 14 days.

It's just that I was also thinking to hold story contests along this, and having separate and different time spans for both might be a mess. Of course, a story contest standard time is a month.

Yes, I agree that there would need to be at least a month for a short story contest.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    What short story contest? o.O I had no idea you were planning one, Oni Pichu.

I'd have to agree with Oni here, one month is best, because if we did two weeks, most poems would be rushed.
    Not to write a good poem. For some people, they can write excellent poems in a few minutes, or a week. (I learned this from experience from the poetry classes I took.) Generally, short story contests are one or two months, and poems and drabbles are weekly.

But, since it's mainly Oni Pichu's choice since he has two contests to run and I "volunteered" to help only the poetry revival, it's up to him to decide.

I do have to ask what the majority's opinion is on this question: A month or two weeks? Whatever anyone decides on, I'll go along with. I just want to make sure that everyone is happy with the decisions made.

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    What short story contest? o.O I had no idea you were planning one, Oni Pichu.

Not to write a good poem. For some people, they can write excellent poems in a few minutes, or a week. (I learned this from experience from the poetry classes I took.) Generally, short story contests are one or two months, and poems and drabbles are weekly.

But, since it's mainly Oni Pichu's choice since he has two contests to run and I "volunteered" to help only the poetry revival, it's up to him to decide.

I do have to ask what the majority's opinion is on this question: A month or two weeks? Whatever anyone decides on, I'll go along with. I just want to make sure that everyone is happy with the decisions made.

I still say two weeks. A month is an awfully long time to write a poem; or even a short story! Well, maybe somewhere in between like maybe 20 days or something, just to keep it active.

Years
  • A month is a common standard employed in most poetry sites for contests. I still go along 30 days for either short stories or poems. It's not an 'awfully long time' to write a poem, and it might even give the event and winners a bit more prestige.

It is also common when new people join while a contest is being held, and want to participate either because they like the prompt or excel to the requirements from the premise. What if this happens when the event takes only two weeks to deliberate and there's been more than a couple of days since it started? I do not think they would be gifted with enough time.

Inspiration strikes each person differently. Not just because a writer takes two hours to get struck and write a poem everyone else will. A month is a great time to look upon the themes and conditions of the contest and participate comfortably.

Let us not be proud of our impatience.

Last edited:
    Back