• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Leveling up too fast cause problems?

Years
  • My boyfriend told me this but is this true that if you have one Pokémon that is level 100 and others in your party are low around 3 or 9 and you battle a level 70 or 77 or so and when your low level Pokémon's levels up really fast you skip out moves and also skips out how it's suppose to evolve and causes problems?

Just to say the history of me about Pokémon I started to really like Pokémon games around 3 months ago since my boyfriend introduced Pokémon games and movies to me. Before I never cared for them until I started to play Pokémon Y that he game me 5 months ago and really got me into them more around 3 months ago. I watched a lot of the movies too. I actually got him Pokémon Alpha Sapphire and he game me his Omega Ruby I been playing now since last month. He knows a lot about them since his been playing them since Pokémon Yellow in GameBoy color.

The reason I was thinking to do this is since I have a lot of Pokémon in my PC BOX and I want to level them up. I have been working on certain ones in my party the fire type but I thought it's time to level up my other ones fast and I didn't know if it's a bad idea to put them in my party and level up fast doing a League battle then they are level 70s and my lower Pokémon like 20s or less would boost fast. But also I don't want to mess them up and make them not have right moves or skip certain things.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    The reason I was thinking to do this is since I have a lot of Pokémon in my PC BOX and I want to level them up. I have been working on certain ones in my party the fire type but I thought it's time to level up my other ones fast and I didn't know if it's a bad idea to put them in my party and level up fast doing a League battle then they are level 70s and my lower Pokémon like 20s or less would boost fast. But also I don't want to mess them up and make them not have right moves or skip certain things.

Thank you

Your pokemon won't miss any moves or evolutions if your careful. To 'Miss" an evolution, you would need to get a lot of levels at once, and then, at your next level-up, it'll evolve.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • It's true that your Pokémon could skip over the level they're meant to evolve at, but it would still evolve after the battle is completely over. However, during those levels where it has not evolved, the moves it learns could be different or at different levels! It's rarely a problem, because the good moves are usually learned earlier if the Pokémon stayed unevolved, or are taught by TM, but if you really don't want to miss anything then I wouldn't recommend doing E4 training. But you could always go to the Move Reminder later, too.

tldr it doesn't really cause any problems, your Pokémon might just evolve a few levels later than usual. If you need more clarification, feel free to ask!

Years
  • Kent said something about lower the level the better the stats is and if I evolve too fast and skip he will be weak. Do you know what his talking about? I wonder if he saying about the moves will be bad or the stats like attack will be lower than normal? I' am just guessing.

Kent also said at level 16 it evolves and after that I won't need to worry much but he says to make sure not to do something like level 3 to 20 or more at once since then my stats will be not good. I think the next evolve was at 30? I can't remember but basically he says to not do the champion league since they go up too high and skip 16. I do wish I can call and ask more but he doesn't like talking on the phone much also he says since I been playing it for a while use common sense to play. I thought maybe asking here would be better over all. Thank you

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Okay so the relevant growth stats that I think he's talking about are called "Effort Values" (EVs). They are gained by battling any Pokémon. Each Pokémon you battle has a certain number of EVs they will give after you defeat them. You can accumulate these at any time. Yes, if you don't take the time to do individual battles and skip a bunch of levels, your Pokémon will initially be weaker than it otherwise would have been. But it's easily fixed if you want to use them, so no worries! And the stat gains due to EVs are almost negligible if you're not a competitive player. So don't worry too much. :)

Years
  • The only stats affected by battling are the EV stats which can actually be trained up at any level (even level 100) using the super training feature or horde battles. I've run freshly bred lvl 1 pokemon on my team through the elite 4 and had no issues what so ever. I've never had any issues with a pokemon missing learning a move, but if you somehow did miss one, you can always have the move learner teach it to the pokemon. The only way I know of for a pokemon not to get a move that it can legally know are the moves that certain pokemon can only get by breeding.

It sounds to me like he's running on some outdated or misunderstood information. I saw a good YouTube video on EV stat training recently, I'll see if I can find it again and PM you the link.

Years
  • Also about super training he said the lower the level you do the super training the better he will be at higher level. Also he said to train the skills that the Pokémon is high stats on like if his top two highest stats are attack and speed then train those up only and little bit the hp for whatever is left after topping the attack and speed. He said Serebii site is the number one source for Pokémon information.

Also I could of misunderstood him on what he was trying to say but all I know is he told me to not battle with a trainer that is soo high and level up too fast and skip to many evolves. His said this since I played Pokémon Y game back 5 months ago.

Years
  • Serebii is my one of my favorite sources of information, I just like the video because it shows and clearly explains the process of EV training. Smogon is also one of the top sources that focus on competitive battling, which is where EVs become important.

It really doesn't matter what level you train EVs at because they train in the same way, at the same speed, and have the same ending values. Training a pokemon's EVs at level 1 isn't going to give it any advantages over an identical pokemon that trained them at level 100.

Years
  • Okay so the relevant growth stats that I think he's talking about are called "Effort Values" (EVs). They are gained by battling any Pokémon. Each Pokémon you battle has a certain number of EVs they will give after you defeat them. You can accumulate these at any time. Yes, if you don't take the time to do individual battles and skip a bunch of levels, your Pokémon will initially be weaker than it otherwise would have been. But it's easily fixed if you want to use them, so no worries! And the stat gains due to EVs are almost negligible if you're not a competitive player. So don't worry too much. :)
    Would doing super training fix a Pokémon that is weaker than what it was suppose to be? Meaning if I did the super training and max out the best stats it would be better or the same as if I slowly leveled up the Pokémon? Also I never knew that super train a level 1 or super train at level 100 is the same results right?

Since if you guys are right I have to tell him this so he knows. He believes he knows pretty much everything about Pokémon games since he played them since he was little with Pokémon Yellow on GameBoy color. But maybe he doesn't know almost everything I guess.

He said he wanted me to try something for a test that he wants to know but he said to get two Gible and one is super trained at level 1 and one isn't and see if there is a difference on the two. I have to breed two Gible's and then have two level 1 Gible's and one is super trained and one isn't and reach level 50 and see the difference. But I told him I wanted to super train one that is at level 50 when he is at level 50 so I can see the difference if the one that was trained at level 1 has more EVs than the one that was trained at level 50. Also other thing is he first thought that the EVs are different training and not from Super Training but then he said I don't know.

For some reason he wanted to compare one that was super trained and one that isn't when both are at level 50 but I don't know what his trying to do since that's not what I was telling him exactly.

What do you guys think? Do you think I should have 3 Gible's and one is super trained at level 1 and one isn't and level them up to 50 and then one Gible super train it at level 50 to show him?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • He said he wanted me to try something for a test that he wants to know but he said to get two Gible and one is super trained at level 1 and one isn't and see if there is a difference on the two. I have to breed two Gible's and then have two level 1 Gible's and one is super trained and one isn't and reach level 50 and see the difference. But I told him I wanted to super train one that is at level 50 when he is at level 50 so I can see the difference if the one that was trained at level 1 has more EVs than the one that was trained at level 50. Also other thing is he first thought that the EVs are different training and not from Super Training but then he said I don't know.

For some reason he wanted to compare one that was super trained and one that isn't when both are at level 50 but I don't know what his trying to do since that's not what I was telling him exactly.

What do you guys think? Do you think I should have 3 Gible's and one is super trained at level 1 and one isn't and level them up to 50 and then one Gible super train it at level 50 to show him?

Well, EVs definitely make a difference. When you have 4 EVs in a stat, you get one stat point. However, it might not look like much of a difference unless you show him identical Gibles--ones with the same nature, IVs, etc, as all of the aforementioned traits also have an affect on stats that would be visible at Level 50.

Also, please don't double post. If you have something to say please just go back and edit your previous post.

Years
  • Well Kent thinks that the one that is super trained will have like maybe 10 more than the one isn't. But I guess you guys are saying that if one Gible was super trained at level 1 vs one Gible was trained at level 50 instead of level 1 the results are the same right when both are at level 50?

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    So a large amount of the confusion going on in this thread I feel like could have been avoided if you had taken a little bit of time to do some research and maybe a little bit of reading.
    I highly recommend that you and your boyfriend give these two articles a thorough read.

A thorough explanation of how Individual Values work (IV's): https://www.serebii.net/games/ivs.shtml

A thorough explanation of how Effort Values work (EV's): https://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml

I recommend that you try to save all of your questions for us after giving these pages a good read, and then we will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have left. I wish you nothing but the best of luck on your new pokemon education! :)

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well Kent wanted me to max out Speed and Attack for Gible at level 1 and then the other one do nothing until it's at level 50 and then when both are at level 50 then max out Attack and Speed and see if there is a difference. Maybe I should of put more details on what he wanted to do. Since when Gible's max evolve will have higher base stats on Speed and Attack he wanted to know how the both will be at level 50 with one done at level 1 and one done at 50 and see if the stats are the similar. He knows what each stats mean or so like Attack or SP Attack, etc. Also I get that info on what is the higher base stats for each Pokémon from Serebii site and looking at the highest evolved one for each Pokémon. Like look at Garchomp as you see the higher base stats ones are like Attack and Speed so I did train my Gible at level 1 and maxed out Attack and Speed and HP for what ever is left which isn't much. My other Gible isn't super trained at all and now I have one that is trained and one that isn't and both at same level 1. Now I will level both up to level 50 and at 50 the one that isn't trained will be super trained the same as the other one that I did at level 1 and after I trained that level 50 the same way I want to see if the stats are similar on both as end results. I hope I didn't make you guys confused and now you understand better.

I do want to thank you guys so far for the help but I think I might of not explained enough for your guys to understand so I' am sorry about that.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • The problem is that if you do that... well, the EV stat gain will look exactly the same. But it won't show up the same way because the Pokémon's IVs are probably really different. It's a really hard thing to pinpoint in-game, but it affects it a lot.

Years
  • Actually I talked to him today and he said he wanted me to level them both to 100 and then he actually wants to see first how much difference from the one that was trained at level 1 and the one that wasn't after that then I can super train the Speed, Attack and little bit HP same way as other one and see the difference. He wants to test things out since he never done it apparently.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I mean you should be able to see the difference, but keep in mind that the IVs (which are determined when the Pokémon is spawned) also play a part in what you will see in the final stats.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    For some reason I don't think you understand what you are being told. (Not trying to be rude.)

Each Pokémon has base stats, these are always the same. Then each individual Pokémon has their own IV (Individual Value), these can range from 0 to 31. If a Pokémon has an IV of 0, then it gets +0 to that Stat at level 100, if it has an IV of 31 then it gets +31 to that Stat at level 100. Each Gible, unless they were competitively bred, will have random IV. You will have to look at IV breeding on how to get optimized Pokémon.

EV are something completely different. EV (Earned Value), are earned when you battle. Pokémon gain these EV whenever they receive experience from a battle, or from Super Training. Four EV give the Pokémon a 1 Stat Point boost. In short, 4 EV gives the same effect as 1 IV. Where IV max at 31, a Pokémon can gain a total of 510 EV with a max of 252 in one Stat. A fully EV trained Pokémon can have two max stats with 252 EV, and a third with 4 EV. That gives a total of 508 EV, and the other 2 are wasted.

The problem here that I see, first off you plan to test two Gible that more than likely have different IV values. That will effect the outcome. Also, if you level up the Pokémon in battles, it will gain EV from whatever it battles. That will make it so you can't maximize your EV training. You will have EV spread out across many stats.

Long story short, as long as the two compared Pokémon are the same Pokémon, have the same IV and has the same EV training, it doesn't matter what level you do the EV training at, they will end up the same.

Differences will come based on what their IV are, and if they were EV trained properly.

Also note, not to confuse you, you CAN NOT change Pokémon IV after they are hatched or caught in the wild. This will change when Sun and Moon release because they are adding a feature called Hyper Training which will allow the boosting of IV. It should work the same or similar to how Super Training boosts EV.

Back