• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Manga] List & Chit-Chat on ALL Pokémon Manga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I see, both have good and bad points.

I will reread Pokémon Special now; hopefully I will come up with discussion topics for this forum a I go along ;D I remember listening to fancy soundtrack music while I read the end of G/S/C and R/S sagas. Tearful moments, very epic.

Oh, thread idea!

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Speaking of Adventures/Special. I have three books of the VIZ version of Adventures that i borrowed from the library The first volume of the Red & blue chapter , volume 1 of Diamond Pearl and Platinum chapters (or volume 30 consecutively) and volume one of the Black & White chapters (or volume 43 consecutively). So my here's my question: Is it best to read the entire Adventures manga in order ? Or is it fine if I read the first Red&Blue volume, then the Diamond &Pearl volume and then the Black& White volume?

Now I know that not all of the chapters have been translated by VIZ yet. I believed half of the Ruby & Sapphire chapters , all of the Firered &LeafGreen chapters, all of the Emerald Chapters, all of HeartGold & Soulsilver chapters and part of the Platinum chapters have yet to be published by VIZ. I'm sure I can find all of the Chuang yi translations online. Though I know they reverse the artwork to left-to-right and I kind of prefer reading them in their original right-to-left format cause I hate when English manga publishing companies flip the artwork to make them "easier to read". Though I really don't want to wait forever for VIZ to publish their translations for those volumes so if I have to read Chuang Yi's I wouldn't be bothered by the reversed artwork. I know I'm complicated with manga. lol Anyway what you guys think?

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Of course you should start from the beginning and not from volume 30 or 43, lol. Get the box sets (http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Adventures-Red-Blue-Vol/dp/1421550067/ & http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Adventures-Gold-Silver-Vol/dp/1421550075/) and you'll save a lot of money compared to buying individual volumes and you'll also get a nice box and poster. VIZ are releasing a new volume every two months and should have caught up in 2015, so wait until you have read up to the volumes that VIZ hasn't published and decide then if you want to wait or read the Chuang Yi editions. Don't buy the crappy, rushed and thin Black and White mini-volumes, wait for the full volumes instead. Read the Chuang Yi version of chapter 209, volume 17. VIZ's censored version is horrible and sucks Master Balls: www.mrxpokemonmanga.tumblr.com/post/54713311849/pokemon-adventures

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Speaking of Adventures/Special. I have three books of the VIZ version of Adventures that i borrowed from the library The first volume of the Red & blue chapter , volume 1 of Diamond Pearl and Platinum chapters (or volume 30 consecutively) and volume one of the Black & White chapters (or volume 43 consecutively). So my here's my question: Is it best to read the entire Adventures manga in order ? Or is it fine if I read the first Red&Blue volume, then the Diamond &Pearl volume and then the Black& White volume?

Now I know that not all of the chapters have been translated by VIZ yet. I believed half of the Ruby & Sapphire chapters , all of the Firered &LeafGreen chapters, all of the Emerald Chapters, all of HeartGold & Soulsilver chapters and part of the Platinum chapters have yet to be published by VIZ. I'm sure I can find all of the Chuang yi translations online. Though I know they reverse the artwork to left-to-right and I kind of prefer reading them in their original right-to-left format cause I hate when English manga publishing companies flip the artwork to make them "easier to read". Though I really don't want to wait forever for VIZ to publish their translations for those volumes so if I have to read Chuang Yi's I wouldn't be bothered by the reversed artwork. I know I'm complicated with manga. lol Anyway what you guys think?
Definitely read from the beginning. Even though the Kanto-Johto-Hoenn arcs (+HG/SS) all have something to do with one another while the Sinnoh and Unova arcs are relatively standalone, there are references to earlier volumes here and there. Plus, details and art style and stuff evolves throughout the series so you'll likely appreciate the later volumes more if you start with the Red/Blue/Green saga.

Imo the best plots are in the Yellow and G/S/C and R/S arcs! Later sagas feel rushed somehow, imo, and the R/B/G saga was more a sort of turning the game into a manga than to actually give some form of advanced plot, maybe. Feels like it, at least haha.

I've kept reading the Diamond & Pearl Adventures manga (not PokéSpe, that is) with the main character Hareta. He sure is different from every other incarnation of "Lucas" xD It's pretty interesting. After I've read as far as I can find online in English in this manga, I'll revisit RéBURST I think.

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I've kept reading the Diamond & Pearl Adventures manga (not PokéSpe, that is) with the main character Hareta. He sure is different from every other incarnation of "Lucas" xD It's pretty interesting. After I've read as far as I can find online in English in this manga, I'll revisit RéBURST I think.

Volume 1-6 are available online. Volume 7 and 8 were never scanned.
I suggest that you try Pokémon Golden Boys. That's one of my all time favourites.

Treecko

Years
Of course you should start from the beginning and not from volume 30 or 43, lol. Get the box sets (http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Adventures-Red-Blue-Vol/dp/1421550067/ & http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Adventures-Gold-Silver-Vol/dp/1421550075/) and you'll save a lot of money compared to buying individual volumes and you'll also get a nice box and poster. VIZ are releasing a new volume every two months and should have caught up in 2015, so wait until you have read up to the volumes that VIZ hasn't published and decide then if you want to wait or read the Chuang Yi editions. Don't buy the crappy, rushed and thin Black and White mini-volumes, wait for the full volumes instead. Read the Chuang Yi version of chapter 209, volume 17. VIZ's censored version is horrible and sucks Master Balls: www.mrxpokemonmanga.tumblr.com/post/54713311849/pokemon-adventures

Definitely read from the beginning. Even though the Kanto-Johto-Hoenn arcs (+HG/SS) all have something to do with one another while the Sinnoh and Unova arcs are relatively standalone, there are references to earlier volumes here and there. Plus, details and art style and stuff evolves throughout the series so you'll likely appreciate the later volumes more if you start with the Red/Blue/Green saga.

Imo the best plots are in the Yellow and G/S/C and R/S arcs! Later sagas feel rushed somehow, imo, and the R/B/G saga was more a sort of turning the game into a manga than to actually give some form of advanced plot, maybe. Feels like it, at least haha.

Hm okay it was apparent to me I should. I'm gonna return the volumes I don't need then and check out the ones I need. I'll definitely consider buying the box sets once I ever get a chance to. I don't really want to wait until 2015 for the remainder volumes to be published by VIZ, so I'll probably read what I need to of the Chuang Yi version online till then. Or if I read them at a certain pace, then I may be able to catch up with VIZ's publications. Though I have heard of some crazy censorship VIZ's version has. I'm not bothered by some of it and I can get them taking out some blood and sexual stuff to make it more okay for kids, but I think it's ridiculous they cut out the part where Crystal gets slapped and made it look like she was being "glared" at. Yeah a person's glare can make you soo scared. That makes sense. -_- I only know about that part cause of an image I saw online.

Spoiler:

But yeah most of it makes no sense and kind of looks like it ruins the good story. I'll definitely read Chuang Yi's version for those volume.

So questions, Are there full volumes of the Black and White chapters gonna be released soon? Like by VIZ/Chuang Vi or are they gonna be Japan only? I know Japan has yet to publish most of the BW chapters in graphic novel format. I don't like mini-volumes either. They're way too short and I think they could of added more if they wanted.

Also, I have been reading Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Adventures! too, finished vol 1 not too long ago. It' s an interesting and really funny take on the game and I like Herata as a character alot. I also like how Mitsumi has the same outfit as Dawn but her hair is green and a completely different style.

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Though I have heard of some crazy censorship VIZ's version has. I'm not bothered by some of it and I can get them taking out some blood and sexual stuff to make it more okay for kids, but I think it's ridiculous they cut out the part where Crystal gets slapped and made it look like she was being "glared" at. Yeah a person's glare can make you soo scared. That makes sense. -_- I only know about that part cause of an image I saw online.

Spoiler:

But yeah most of it makes no sense and kind of looks like it ruins the good story. I'll definitely read Chuang Yi's version for those volume.

The censorship in volume 17 is way worse:
Spoiler:

Nah, I'd read the CY version of the censored scenes in chapter 32, 133, 180 and 209 and then read the VIZ version of everything else.

So questions, Are there full volumes of the Black and White chapters gonna be released soon? Like by VIZ/Chuang Vi or are they gonna be Japan only?
VIZ has recently released volume 43 and will release volume 44 in November.
Chuang Yi recently released volume 41 and they didn't flip the pages this time! It also looks like it is translated directly from Japanese since none of the three Chinese editions were released before the Chuang Yi edition. This in combination with no censorship, relatively unedited covers and original numbering makes Chuang Yi editions the superior English version from volume 41+. I'd buy the Chuang Yi editions of volume 41+ if I were you.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Whoa, HUGEST image warning xD

That censor is just... So silly I can't even. Lightning, really? It doesn't even look believable. I can't remember what version I read actually but it might have been VIZ. So Americans are that much more touchy about child "abuse" than Japanese are? Interesting. Not a topic to discuss here, but still, interesting haha.

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
There are no scans of the VIZ edition of volume 17. If you read it online it was the Chuang Yi edition.
Yeah, but the US also has an idiotic legal system that is abused frequently. VIZ probably didn't want stupid, overprotective parents to sue them and also create a PR nightmare. Still, that's no excuse.

Years
It seems like the japanese don't care what they are showing. They just wanna show everything realistic. (No abuse from me). I should do say I agree with the USA manga creators. That's seems legit !!!

Treecko

Years
Woah those scan didn't fit well on the tablet I'm using. XD

Yeah the censorship in that case seems ridiculous. The lightning doesn't sound believable at all and neither does the glare scene in the other volume. I guess you can get by with some more explicit content in a children's manga. US censor are a bit more conservative.

Yeah the fact VIZ edits the covers bothers me a bit. Sometimes I like the original covers more. I will probably get at least vol 41 and on through Chuang Yi since they're finally not flipping the covers and they're uncensored.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I like the original covers better, yeah. The ones displayed on here~ I also like when they are all treated as part of the same series. I guess D/P/P and B/W have little to do with the previous ones (maybe the age gap between the oldest characters and the youngest became too big at last?) but it's still all the same world and canon so I prefer to think of them all as one big series. VIZ does not, apparently.

I love the D/P/P covers. They are the perfect mix of team-display, cuteness and drama from the story.

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I also like when they are all treated as part of the same series. I guess D/P/P and B/W have little to do with the previous ones (maybe the age gap between the oldest characters and the youngest became too big at last?) but it's still all the same world and canon so I prefer to think of them all as one big series. VIZ does not, apparently.

Quality and especially coherency is not the biggest priority for VIZ, profit is. By publishing the arcs as separate series they can publish multiple series at the same time, which gets a broader target audience (those who directly wants to read the arc based on their favourite Pokémon game(s)), but the main reason is the same reason why arcs and volumes are rushed in Japan, they want to keep up with the newest games. There's likely there will be more sales of a manga adaption of games that were released a few years ago than that there will be more sales of a manga adaption of games within the same franchise that were released 10 years ago. In other words: VIZ = sales drive quality = capitalism, Chuang Yi = quality drives sales = common sense.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
So, with this new anime thing being revealed, The Origin, I'm just a little bit disappointed that they didn't choose to make a Pokémon Adventures anime at last. I'm still glad that they will do some anime based on the games rather than set in the kind of fake-feeling world of the Ash-anime (imo, haha) but an animated series with the world and plot from PokéSpe would be the best. Just think of the cool Yellow Arc battles and the apocalyptic R/S arc legendary battle set in color and motion!

Fans in Japan must have suggested this too. I wonder if it's a deal with rights and money that's keeping them from realizing it, or if they just haven't gotten the idea even.

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
So, with this new anime thing being revealed, The Origin, I'm just a little bit disappointed that they didn't choose to make a Pokémon Adventures anime at last. I'm still glad that they will do some anime based on the games rather than set in the kind of fake-feeling world of the Ash-anime (imo, haha) but an animated series with the world and plot from PokéSpe would be the best. Just think of the cool Yellow Arc battles and the apocalyptic R/S arc legendary battle set in color and motion!

I don't know if I would prefer an anime based on the main games or a PokéSpe anime more. I suppose there would be more new stories in a game based anime, but at the same time, who doesn't love the stories in PokéSpe.

Fans in Japan must have suggested this too. I wonder if it's a deal with rights and money that's keeping them from realizing it, or if they just haven't gotten the idea even.

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Adventures_placed_third_in_Media_Factory_Animation_poll
I think they must have figured this out at some point. ^

Fun fact: Media Factory has produced some of the earlier seasons in the Pokémon anime and most of the Pokémon movies. They also distributed some of the earlier seasons of the anime on VHS.
But, the chance that Media Factory will produce a PokéSpe anime based on that poll is very low.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
But, the chance that Media Factory will produce a PokéSpe anime based on that poll is very low.
Yes, sadly ;; I sometimes wonder if companies such as GameFreak don't want to look at fan ideas too much, because if they took them to heart, someone might claim that they stole the ideas? With that thought, we are pretty much ruining chances of getting awesome new pokémon by making awesome fakemon :x Um, this relates to this quote since what if Media Factory don't want to make it according to how fans have suggested it, and haven't come up with better ideas yet?

Not likely, though. But I seriously wonder why they decided to make a new anime from the games when more than one manga had a great plot and characters ready already.

On another note - if I made a Pokémon Special fanclub down in Pokémon Clubs section, who would join? I've been thinking about it; we could arrange bookclub weeks and stuff, reading through and discussing volumes and characters together. And just generally theorize, shiptalk and fan around.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers;7817053On another note - if I made a Pokémon Special fanclub down in[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24" said:
Pokémon Clubs[/URL] section, who would join? I've been thinking about it; we could arrange bookclub weeks and stuff, reading through and discussing volumes and characters together. And just generally theorize, shiptalk and fan around.

I'm all for it. I haven't read the manga yet so I would see the club as an opportunity to get to know it and discuss specific parts with others.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I don't think I have time and energy to create that club right now, but in the future I'll consider it again.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 3, 2013
Very interesting. Is that Chuang Yi's Pokémon Gold & Silver: The Golden Boys in right-to-left format? Is it published in 2003, right?

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Yes, it's published in the original right-to-left format. It was published between 2003 and 2004. There are scanlations of volume 1 chapter 1-5 and scans of volume 2 chapter 9-13 available online, in case you want to read some of it.

I will eventually write about it on my Pokémon manga tumblr. I have just been too busy with real life and Team Special Scans to have time to update my Pokémon manga tumblr and the manga list in this thread. Sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back