• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Listen up

Years
  • 'Kay, so I'm gonna admit to being a bit of a music snob. I like having good music to listen to. I'm also unashamedly a fan of Japanese music. I also also like spreading good music to other people. And that's why I'm making this.

For anyone who is interested in Japanese music or would possibly like to expand their musical repertoire I'm presenting some of my favorite, possibly lesser-known artists for your consideration.

These are all artists that I don't think you need to have an interest in Japanese music to appreciate because they're all good artists. Period. And if it helps at least one of them primarily sings in English anyway.

Sakanaction
    They take a mixture of rock, electronic, and pop sounds and creature unusual, but pleasant, interesting, accessible music. They don't stick to formulas and each song has its own unique sound.
    Sample: native dancer, me ga aku ai iro

me-al art
    A kind of darker sounding alternative rock band. I'm not that great at describing music so I'm stuck on what to say here. They've got these... threads of emotions running through their songs, some anger, sadness, rage. There's also a dreamy quality mixed in it all.
    Sample: yume ni saku hana, oboreru sakana

Matryoshka
    Lots of ambient, melodic music from this group. They have a kind of post-rock (?) feel as well, I think. Definitely the kind of music where the vocals aren't the focus, but blended in to become part of the music as a whole.
    Sample: Sink Into The Sin, Beyond (Headphones Remote Remix)

Capsule
    If you know Perfume then you might know their producer's other main outlet, Capsule. Unlike Perfume, which is poppy and cute, this has a lounge-ier sound in its early albums and the later ones have a rough electronic style like you'd find playing at clubs and raves (I assume, I've never actually been to one).
    Sample: Jumper, space station No. 9

Sakamoto Maaya
    I know some have heard of her. She's been involved in a lot of animes both as a voice actor and a singer, but I think it's music where she shines brightest. She has a lot of lighter pop songs that skirt the edges of folk songs, ballads, pop-rock, and typical J-pop, and has a very clear, beautiful voice.
    Sample: Get No Satisfaction!, Universe

RADWIMPS
    A rock band that from time to time mixes in little elements of rap, funk, hiphop, reggae and punk. Lots of fast-paced music and some very impressive talent coming from their lead singer's vocals.
    Sample: One man live, iin desu ka?

Superfly
    She takes her inspiration from the 1960s and blends it with modern J-pop and J-rock and makes something really groovy come out. She's got this unexpectedly super powerful voice that I just love.
    Sample: Alright!!, tamashii revolution

BONNIE PINK
    She makes straight up J-pop with the familiar kinds of tunes you hear from a lot of artists, but she's got the musical range to swing her pop songs into other areas like blues and hiphop.
    Sample: A Perfect Sky, Rope Dancer

Tommy heavenly6
    Pop alternative rock music with some fun, exaggerated Halloween-ish elements.
    Sample: Heavy Starry Chain, I ♥ XMAS

avengers in scifi
    An eclectic rock band who likes to give all their songs science fiction themes and splashes of electronic sound effects.
    Sample: Lovers On Mars, [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-oM-7EJqkE"]NAYUTANIZED
    [/URL]

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    sexiest blog i've seen i shall check this out in due time

but at the moment Peter Gabriel is calling so I cannot refuse

Heard Boom Boom Satellites? They are good imo AND JAPANESE

AND WORLDS END GIRLFRIEND NOT HERE?

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    okay imma inform you, AS I LISTEN

Sakanaction, they are good, not something I would really listen to though

me-al art, I am enjoying this, will look into an album

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    "playing at clubs and raves (I assume, I've never actually been to one)."

is this really true scarfy, you can be honest

okay capsule is too good

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Radwimps the vocalist is really talented, but idk if it's just the video or not, but the production is so bad

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I will listen to all of these after homework and shower and I will come back to either this blog or your profile to tell you if I like it. :) I've been looking for good Japanese stuff actually.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Native Dancer: Pretty good, but not something I'm itching to put on my iPod rn. Sounds like something that if I listened to it at another time (when I'm not in the mood for super duper upbeat songs like I am rn), then I would be all into it.

Yume Ni Saka Hana: Probably downloading this in a few minutes. I normally automatically turn down female vocalists, but this one is gorgeous. :) (I'm not sexist btw I promise lol.)

Sink Into the Sin: This reminds me of the chillwave stuff I've been listening to lately, but a little darker and with more clear lyrics (even though, of course, this song isn't chillwave). I might download this one, since it's nice and relaxing. Plus I love the song title. Yeah, if a song has a nice title, it usually gets me to like it haha.

Jumper: JUMPING GIRL! <3 Of course I love this. Favorite so far.

Get No Satisfaction!: SOUNDS SO FAMILIAR. But I don't watch a lot of anime, so idk why she does! Still good song, I'm totally picturing an anime opening right now haha.

One Man Live: Good, but yeah what is this quality lol.

Alright!!: What the flying **** am I watching omg hahahahaha this is so great. Is this a Japanese Cher???? Loving this one!

A Perfect Sky: I'LL BE YOUR PERFECT SKY OMG.

Heavy Starry Chain: EMO PEOPLE. Reminds me of Paramore, who I don't really like. But they're better than Paramore, so thumbs up.

Lovers On Mars: I got hooked less than 10 seconds in.

Years
  • Okay so.

- Boom Boom Satellites are... okay. I just can't get past the vocals. Too rough for my tastes.

- I have no idea who Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi is/are. ¯\(°_o)/¯

- Dream theatre is metal and I don't normally listen to that. Have any suggestions for a place to start?

- Fixing the song with bad quality and adding more videos just 'cuz.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • It is metal, but Prog Metal.. Hmm.. part of me wants to recommend the Octavarium orchestra.. (They had a full orchestra for one of their songs) because the dvd is amazing.. but the CD I got from that fell short (recording wasn't great at all) :C It was disappointing. If I find you a good link would you be willing to give it a listen?

Back