• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Live-Action Cowboy Bebop

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    Well, it's official.

Yup, there are actually legitimate plans to turn Cowboy Bebop into an American live-action movie. At the same time, I'm both looking forward to it and worrying about it extensively. One half of my is fairly optimistic because the universe of Bebop feels like it was made for an American live-action film, but at the same time I'm worried because there's pretty much no way that Steve Blum (voice of Spike (and Guilmon)) can be involved.

Frankly, I thought that the dub's voice acting was better than the original. They didn't make it too over-the-top, they sounded so natural. So, of course, I just can't picture Spike being played by Keanu Reeves. I think they're running the risk of leaving Spike's heart and soul behind.

Other thoughts?

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
    So far... as far as I'm aware... most of the anime's turned into American live action movies have been **** basically. They're not good.

Dammit... and I liked this anime... in fact... I was planning on re-watching this anime online...

I still will... but... I don't want this cool anime to be ruined by our bad anime live action movies.........

But... in the end... if I get a chance to watch it... I probably will... ^_^'

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Oh no. Cartoons into live action movies don't generally work out in the fans favor. The dub voices were so much better than the Japanese ones so this is getting me nervous. Most likely though, I won't watch it because of how it might turn out.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    Oh no. Cartoons into live action movies don't generally work out in the fans favor. The dub voices were so much better than the Japanese ones so this is getting me nervous. Most likely though, I won't watch it because of how it might turn out.
    Yeah, the main concern is definitely going to be the inevitable voice change. Maybe they could have an alternate release where they dub the original VAs' voices over the new ones. It might look ridiculous, but it'd be guaranteed to be entertaining.

I can only picture two scenarios for the film: It'll either be a masterpiece or a pile of garbage. Out of all the animes out there, I'd say that Bebop might have the most potential to translate well to live-action, just because of its aesthetic and tone. The show really doesn't feel like a cartoon, all the characters seem so real.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Man, I swear what is Hollywood doing? They are using anime for their next box office hit. I wish they don't do this. As you can see with Speed Racer and Dragonball(Which it hasn't been released yet. Wait til March or April...).

But maybe this movie will be good. The only thing they probably do wrong is the setting. The setting sets in space, so I hope they will get that right. And the music too. If the music is different from the anime...then I don't know. Can't tell now til I see the trailer.

Tsukuyomi

fly.me.to.the.moon.
    Years
    Why are you people damning this? Cowboy Bebop has the most potential of any anime to work as a live-action movie, plus Reeves and Watanabe have experience. I'm a bit cautious there but provided the script is good, the plot sound, and the soundtrack good, I'll be willing to see this.

Sota

Slowbro x Bellsprout
    Years
    Hmm might be good. This may work as Live-Action.

Well, let's hope it will be better then the DBZ live action movie. :redface:

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
    Man, I swear what is Hollywood doing? They are using anime for their next box office hit. I wish they don't do this. As you can see with Speed Racer and Dragonball(Which it hasn't been released yet. Wait til March or April...).

But maybe this movie will be good. The only thing they probably do wrong is the setting. The setting sets in space, so I hope they will get that right. And the music too. If the music is different from the anime...then I don't know. Can't tell now til I see the trailer.

I agree, especially an anime like this. I mean, do they even have permission from Japan to do it? D: Let along, the english company who licensed it? o_o

Why are you people damning this? Cowboy Bebop has the most potential of any anime to work as a live-action movie, plus Reeves and Watanabe have experience. I'm a bit cautious there but provided the script is good, the plot sound, and the soundtrack good, I'll be willing to see this.

Because if the original anime isnt meant to be used for American eyes. At least not in that way. Not unless Japan created the movie first. Like how they made the live action Death Note movies. If its made by the us, it will turn out to be total crap.

The US can't make the same idea as what Japan did. They never do.

Last edited:

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    I agree, especially an anime like this. I mean, do they even have permission from Japan to do it? D: Let along, the english company who licensed it? o_o

Because if the original anime isnt meant to be used for American eyes. At least not in that way. Not unless Japan created the movie first. Like how they made the live action Death Note movies. If its made by the us, it will turn out to be total crap.

The US can't make the same idea as what Japan did. They never do.

Of course they have permission, they wouldn't be legally able to do it otherwise. America isn't China.

Also, I completely disagree with the part about how it wasn't intended for American audiences. Anime and manga companies rely on Americans for a great deal of their profits. That's why the anime companies are heading into trouble, there are too many fansubs out there that are leading to fewer Americans buying DVDs. There's a reason why just about everyone in anime has a western skin tone, the creators want dubbed versions to look more natural.

Also, assuming that a live-action movie will be worse because it's made by Americans is pretty dumb. I don't think there's any doubt that America has always made the best live action films. I'm positive that they're going to nail the atmosphere of the Bebop universe flawlessly. The setting and personality of Cowboy Bebop is anything but Japanese, in fact, it's distinctly western. We also don't need to worry about any content being watered-down, because Bebop isn't marketed towards kids, unlike One Piece or Pokemon.

To be honest, the only aspect of the film that I'm worried about is Keanu Reeves. He's a great actor, and he was spectacular in The Matrix, but I'm not sure if he's the right choice for Spike. Steve Blum's voice is Spike, in my book. Cowboy Bebop is an anime that I seriously won't watch in Japanese because the English cast is so friggin' amazing. I just hope that the live-action cast portrays the characters just as well, though I have my doubts.

Years
    I think it can work. usually turning animation into live action is a gigantic mistake (That Dragonball movie will be the newest example) but Cowoy Bebop is "down to earth" enough in story,characters and design that it can be replicated in live action without ruining what made the show great (Unless the fact that it's animated or the art is what you like best).
    That aside though, unless they have a good director, a solid script and a decent cast this will be crap.

Keanu Reeves is an interesting choice for Spike. I think he fits the part in all areas except the voice which still sounds like a 1980s surfer. Still, he worked well in Speed and the Matrix so it could work out.

Oversoul

Quiet you.
    Years
    Bebop could work well in live action, if they do it correctly. Granted, Hollywood hasn't had the best track record with adaptations so far, but that's not to say that they can't make this movie decent.

As long as they don't replace TANK with something completely random. =/

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Basically, I agree with the quote beneath me. That's what I'm hoping for it to have at least.

That Scary Clefairy said:
    Basically all people are hoping for is Yoko Kanno doing the music.

EDIT: ANN reports.

3 Arts Entertainment producer Erwin Stoff (The Matrix, I am Legend, Kings) has told the iFMagazine.com website that the live-action Cowboy Bebop film in development will not be an origin story. "We start with [the main character, bounty hunter Spike Spiegel], when he is in his present life already." He also emphasized that the producers began the project by meeting with Shinichiro Watanabe, the director of Sunrise's original Cowboy Bebop science-fiction anime series. "He will be the first guy to read a script when it's done. We'll discuss directors with him." While screenwriter Peter Craig has yet to finish the script, Stoff hopes to make the film next year and expects it will have a "totally multi-ethnic cast."

The iFMagazine.com site first reported on the film proposal last July after the parties "just signed it the other day." Last month, actor Keanu Reeves expressed his interest in starring, and initially indicated that the story will be partly based on the "Red Eye" storyline from the first episode of the anime series. Sunrise officially announced the project last week with Twentieth Century Fox, 3 Arts Entertainment, Reeves, and Stoff. Sunrise President Kenji Uchida, Watanabe, and the original series script supervisor Keiko Nobumoto will act as associate producers, while Sunrise and Masahiko Minami (former Sunrise producer and BONES studio co-founder) will consult on the production.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    I think it can work. usually turning animation into live action is a gigantic mistake (That Dragonball movie will be the newest example) but Cowoy Bebop is "down to earth" enough in story,characters and design that it can be replicated in live action without ruining what made the show great (Unless the fact that it's animated or the art is what you like best).
    That aside though, unless they have a good director, a solid script and a decent cast this will be crap.

Keanu Reeves is an interesting choice for Spike. I think he fits the part in all areas except the voice which still sounds like a 1980s surfer. Still, he worked well in Speed and the Matrix so it could work out.

If Dragonball was written by and directed by another studio and crew like Spielberg,it would be a good movie. The only two things that turned me off was Master Roshi and Goku's monster form, and that there was already a bad review on it from a screening. I would love a Digimon movie using the Tamers series or a FMA film. The Cast I would have for it would be:

Ed : Adam Robitel
    Maes Hughes : Ray Parker
    Winry Rockbell; Anna Paquin/Rebecca Romjin
    Alex Louis Armstrong : Tyler mane

Toddler Naruto

Playful Explorer
    Years
    I will be only watching the DVD of this (by renting it or downloading the DVD RIP), don't see the point in wasting my money to watch it at the movie theaters.

I swear to the lord almighty, if this Live-action movie bombs, I will riot.

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
    Years
    I hope they don't ruin it... Cowboy Bebop was an amazingly done anime, and if they give it some Hollywood cast that don't sound or look like the characters at all, that'll be enough to turn me off of it.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    I hope they don't ruin it... Cowboy Bebop was an amazingly done anime, and if they give it some Hollywood cast that don't sound or look like the characters at all, that'll be enough to turn me off of it.

The characters already look realistic to an extent so I don't think that will be an issue.

Years
    If Dragonball was written by and directed by another studio and crew like Spielberg,it would be a good movie. The only two things that turned me off was Master Roshi and Goku's monster form, and that there was already a bad review on it from a screening. I would love a Digimon movie using the Tamers series or a FMA film. The Cast I would have for it would be:

I know it's a late reply but...

Yeah if Spielberg or some other mega director made a Dragonball movie it probably would be good but they'd have to heavily change a lot of it (Specifically the look) because things like the hair, the style of fighting, powers and such look silly in live action. When you go making heavy changes like that the movie starts to become more and more a vague adaption of the original source, making the whole venture kinda pointless outside of marketing familiar names and themes. The Dragonball movie already has this problem. With Bebop it's such where it could be adapted to live action without having to re-imagine the art direction and staying true to the source which is why I think it can work.

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
    Years
    The characters already look realistic to an extent so I don't think that will be an issue.

Well then you just gotta worry about the writers not sucking <.<
    Edit: Apparently they have Keanu Reeves as Spike.. That seems both very bad and not too bad at the same time...

Last edited:
    Back