• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Living Dex Project

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023

What is this?

The general goal is to create a Living Pokedex containing one of every Pokemon (even if across many different games), including different forms when they behave differently in some way besides just aesthetics: different typing, different stats, etc.

But this excludes forms that only exist inside battle (e.g.: Aegislash), and for my sanity's sake, forms that can't be traded (e.g.: Giratina Origin, Kyurem-White, Calyrex Ice Rider), forms that are Pokemon + Item (e.g.: Arceus Fire, Silvally Ice) and forms that are time dependent (e.g.: Shaymin Sky Form).

I have access to the raw Switch save files and I'm gonna use that to not deal with Pokemon Home or a Nintendo Online Subscription (and also not have to bother some irl friends to serve as a trade mule so I can ferry stuff from one game to another, which could bypass this need).

How to route it?

So, some things are easy enough to route:
    • all Gen IX Pokémon have to be obtained on either Scarlet or Violet
    • all Hisuian Pokémon have to be obtained on Pokémon Legends Arceus

And before looking too hard into it, I'm fairly sure we'll need to dip into Sword and Shield for some reason or another (probaby the box legends), which that means there are like 5 games we'll probably need to play through to (near) completion or even post game.

Ideally we don't want to make that number of games increase, and even more ideally, we want to concentrate the bulk of catching on Pokemon Legends Arceus and Scarlet / Violet since the Open World aspect makes things a lot easier (don't have to waste time relying on random encounters in the tall grass, stuff like that).

So, I sifted through the available Pokemon for Sword, Shield, Scarlet, Violet and Legends Arceus and out of the 1105 Pokemon on my list, a total of 120 can't be obtained in any of those games (I think, it took me all day, I could have made some data entry errors), so we need to figure out what to do with them.

So let's deal with the biggest problem children first and see where that takes us.
    Spoiler:

How many games will it take?

11 games to capture and train (and hack in a few cases) a total of 1102 Pokémon,, most of which will need to played more than once (but we can finish a bunch of them relatively early).

As for choosing Pokemon available in a lot of stuff, I guess I'll play it by ear a bit? I do know that I need to catch everything that's available in PLA on PLA or else I won't trigger a certain event and getting that Pokemon elsewere would be trickier, but the rest can be more fluid I suppose.

Updates

1. Pokémon White
    2. Pokémon X
    3. Pokémon Crystal - Pt. 1
    4. Pokémon Crystal - Pt. 2
    5. Legends Arceus

Update #1 - Pokémon White

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023

@braxtonbegaming: Thank you!

Update #2 - Pokémon X

Spoiler:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023

@Janp: Thank you! I'll certainly need it.

Update #3 - Pokémon Crystal (Falkner, Bugsy, Whitney)

Spoiler:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023

Update #4 - Pokémon Crystal (Ecruteak ~ The End)

Spoiler:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023

Update #5 - Legends Arceus

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Back