• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"LOL"

Years
  • I use "lol" alot when there's nothing better to say, the word has evolved away from the acronym nowadays and doesn't really mean what it used to, language and meanings change over time. I mean, how many people actually say "lol" when they say it aloud in their head, as opposed to "el oh el". If something does actually make me laugh out loud though I'll got with "I lol'd" or whatever. I've never used rofl or lmao, both have seemed a bit daft from the get go to me, though for a brief period I did use roffle so... What ever happened to the traditional hahaha anyway?

I seldom use XD though unless something really does amuse me, the emoticon I tend to overuse is :3 but that's growing far more common nowadays too.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    XD

I can't understand people, nowadays. Its just an internet slang, which people mostly use. XD
    I just recently stopped using 'lol' but I abuse smilies now. xD

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I use "haha" to express that I find something amusing just as much as "lol". Or rofl/lmao. They're all pretty interchangeable for me and none of them mean I'm actually laughing out loud... I'm just amused. (Though I guess sometimes I am laughing.) I grew out of the xD phase and try not to use it much anymore. It'll still appear from time to time but I find it kind of annoying and way overused so I avoid it.

If I really find something funny, I'll usually keyboard spam to show my inability to talk because I'm laughing too much.

At any rate, "lol" specifically has become less of an acronym and more of a standalone word. Most people I know, if they have to pronounce it, will say "lawl" instead of "ell oh ell". When people use it, no, they aren't laughing out loud. But it's become a way to express amusement through text because really, smilies don't convey that all too well. The only one I can even think of to show laughter that isn't a custom :laugh: sort of thing is XD and, well, there are plenty of complaints about that in this thread already. :(

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • I like to take lol in the back of the alley and abuse the heck out of it. Smack it around, spit in its face, kick it in the stomach. It deserves it for disrespecting me AND my family.

But my opinion is basically the same as Erica's. I find myself having to reread texts and taking out some excessive lol and haha because I ran out of room to say what I want. It's just filler to me now. I use to it show I'm not serious because I'm super sarcastic and sometimes that's hard to convey through text so a lol is necessary. I abuse the >:o, ;-; and :) (creepiest smiley ever by the way) on IRC a lot. I blame Matt.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Eh, 9 times out of 10, people put lol for no reason anyway, and if any, then slightly amused. I used do over to it with a 'z' at the end (lolz). Nowadays, I hardly use it. I abuse xD more. But seeing other people use it like that doesn't bother me that much...lol

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    LoL has become more of an icebreaker nowadays. People just use it to fill awkward silences, and also to let people know it is a joke. People also tend to use it as a sign of distress...

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
    Years
  • I abuse the "lol", too, but it's no longer an acronym anymore. We mostly use it to express amusement :<

I only laugh out loud when I use lmao lol otherwise, I'm just sitting here with this express: :|

or :)

depends.

i'm the same ^^^

when i'm actually laughing, i'm more like "LMFAOOO" or "LOLOLOL" or something more dramatic than just "lol."

I get annoyed when 'lol' is used as a response to something... How is it supposed to continue the conversation?

sometimes i just say "lol" and nothing else cuz idk what to say and i just don't care about the conversation anymore..

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
  • I'm starting to hate it too.

I do use it, but only when I actually did 'laugh out loud' or when I have nothing else to say and I want to end the conversation, why? Because how the hell do you carry a conversation from 'lol'?

But that said, I'm using it less and less when I do actually 'laugh out loud' and I've started using things like 'lmao' instead, because it doesn't get abused half as much. And lets be honest, when somebody types 'lol' it never really seems like they're laughing, just them typing a three letter word down just for the sake of it.

Stairmaster

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2010
    It depends on capitalization usually. "lol" means nothing and is just really something to keep a conversation from dieing. "LOL" though, would indicate that the person is actually laughing.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
  • The Joker begs to differ. :(

And meh, idc about it. Nine times out of ten whenever someone says 'lol' it really means "I don't know what else to say, haha!"

Agreed. I only use it when I don't know what to say. I would use it when I laugh at someone - but I've never laughed whilst having a conversation with someone over the internet. Which is weird as I laugh all the time in real life.
    The only time I laugh at my computer screen is when I'm watching a funny video but no-one's ever said something funny enough to me to make me 'laugh out loud'. If I could use an acronym to describe what I do when someone says something "funny" over the internet it would be "climhaiwfetmmlol" which means "chuckle lightly in my head as it wasn't funny enough to make me laugh out loud"
    Jeez, I sound like a grumpy person haha.

beca

◔_____◔
    Years
  • I only use "LOL" when I actually laugh out loud...people that put it in every sentence, or after something that isn't funny, just irritate me. ;/

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • I use lol as a filler word when I can't work out how to advance conversation on MSN, or when I'm being sarcastic and I don't know if the other person will get it. (I have a lot of friends who don't understand sarcasm >:.) I even say it IRL when I forget myself. >:D

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • That acronym lost its meaning a long time ago. Most of the users aren't even laughing out loud, I assure you. They probably aren't laughing, period.

I'm sure that there is a better way of expressing your laughter through text.

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
    Years
  • I don't mind if someone abuses of "Lol', 'lmao', 'wtf', 'ftw". I prefer not to use once I like to build my own phrases.

Back