• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

lucky natures

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
Years
  • Ever caught a Pokemon just for the heck of it and it has a great nature (but that nature goes to waste since you never intended to use it)?

Once I was playing through sapphire with a wally team. My Gardevoir was modest, a waste since I wasn't planning on ev training her :/. Also recently I caught a Duskull for the heck of it (because it's rare in my game, went to check its nature, it's calm, one of the best natures a Duskull can have). Maybe one day I'll make a theme team and train Duskull for it. Oh, and even though I was going to use her, my Latias has Modest nature. But she's so weak because the wild lati have very low iv's.

In Fire red, my spearow and Mankey have jolly and adamant natures respectively. I also caught a Dugtrio (I always catch Pokemon who appear infrequently), and it has adamant nature. All of them are female. Last one; I may or may not use Golduck, but I caught her as a Psyduck and she had the perfect nature/ability, which is timid and cloud 9.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • Hmm, I had a few of those. Let's see... my Mankey, Bob, was Jolly, and if I remember correctly, my Spearow was Adamant (heh, the exact opposite of yours, Iveechan). I spent ages trying to catch a Pikachu, found a Bold one, and was on my way out because I didn't bother finding one with a good nature when I found another one - Timid.

I don't remember any others, though. Except I caught a Scyther and named him after a minor character in my fic, and he turned out to be Lonely, which matched the character's personality.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • My Horsea and Feebas were both modest, which was good. And even better, the Feebas had a Sp. Atk IV of 31. It's now my lovely Level 100 Milotic which pwns all of yours XD The Horsea had cack IVs, but it was still modest. I once caught a Machop with an Adamant Nature, but it's in the box, and I can't be bothered to get it out XD

Kine

Whatev
    Years
  • I caught a Modest Ralts, female, and with Synchronize without being aware of what good natures and abilities were.

I think that's about the best I could do.

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
  • I caught 9 Gastlies and Haunters in order to get a ghost which is Hasty...

And a whole box of Vulpix to get Gentle...=.=

Dratini927

Matt the Drat
    Years
  • Last year I let my friend at school just play my game for like 5 min in class, and he walked around, and found a Wingull. He caught it somehow, :P, and named it "KEVINS DOG" (who knows why :P) and it turned out to be a Quiet Wingull, which can be good for one if you wanted to train it. :P

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    One of my friends caught a shiny, modest Ghastly.
    With a special attack IV of zero. XP The irony.

SkinnyGreenMan

█▓▒═─┤SkinnyG reen├─═ ▒▓█
    Years
  • I spent a long time hatching horsea eggs for a modest Kingdra. After a while, I got a modest one, it had bad IVs but I decided to keep it anyway. After it reached Level 100, I decided I wanted one with better IVs, so I began hatching eggs. The fourth egg was a modest one with IVs of 26 & 30 in every stat except attack.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
  • I just started on Fire Red, and straight away, the first thing I catch is an Adamant Pidgey. Then later on in Viridian forest, I find a Modest Caterpie, which is now in my squad as Butterfree.

Slightly off topic note: I got a female Eevee the first time around! I didn't have to reset to get one!

Monzae

Poison Technician
    Years
  • I don't really understand the whole 'nature' thing, but I do like all the cool sounding and unusual ones... I like my Slowbro's nature, which is brave..:)

Would someone like to elaborate on 'what's so good about a modest suchandsuch or a calm suchandsuch"?

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
  • Well, Natures give bonuses and penalties to your Pokemon's stats. One stat is increased by 10%, while another is reduced by 10%. So, an Adamant nature is good for a Pokemon who uses only physical attacks (Attack based only), and Modest is good for those who use special attacks (Special Attack based only). Full list is:

Lonely: + Attack, - Defence
    Brave: + Attack, - Speed
    Adamant: + Attack, - Special Attack
    Naughty: + Attack, - Special Defence

Bold: + Defence, - Attack
    Relaxed: + Defence, - Speed
    Impish: + Defence, - Special Attack
    Lax: + Defence, - Special Defence

Timid: + Speed, - Attack
    Hasty: + Speed, - Defence
    Jolly: + Speed, - Special Attack
    Naive: + Speed, - Special Defence

Modest: + Special Attack, - Attack
    Mild: + Special Attack, - Defence
    Quiet: + Special Attack, - Speed
    Rash: + Special Attack, - Special Defence

Calm: + Special Defence, - Attack
    Gentle: + Special Defence, - Defence
    Sassy: + Special Defence, - Speed
    Careful: + Special Defence, - Special Attack

Hardy: No bonus/penalty
    Docile: No bonus/penalty
    Serious: No bonus/penalty
    Bashful: No bonus/penalty
    Quirky: No bonus/penalty

Monzae

Poison Technician
    Years
  • Ah...thankyou so much! I'll try and catch a Slowbro with a Timid, hasty, jolly or naive condition! :D <3 I appreciate that :D *reps*

edit:// yes! I caught a hasty female and a naive male :D Now their speed will go up!

Last edited:

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
    Years
  • The other day I caught 2 female Bagon in a row, one with Modest nature, the other Jolly. I did ev train the modest one, but I must've done something wrong because the lady in Slateport said I had to try a little harder or whatever. So I did a test. I saved the game and bought some hp up. I gave her 5 and tghey all took! I the heck did I miss 50 friggin ev points! I noticed this always happened when I faint Pokemon who give multiple points (like 2 for speed instead of 1), so from now on, it's only Spinda/Zigzagoon for me. I trained my modest Starmie the exact same way but only fighting Spinda and the fast guys on that route before Mauville, and when I was done, Starmie got a ribbon.

Anywho, did you know that in Emerald, if a Ditto or female Pokemon holds an everstone when bred, the baby will be born with that exact nature? I intend on breeding the Dugtrio (who has something other than arena trap) and Bagon (who I messed up).

Flannery

~Shippings Lover~
    Years
  • Can I say something? I really hate Natures. We didn`t have Natures in older games and it was fine. Now you have to catch 50 Caterpies or 30 Pikachus, because every pokemon has own nature and you must pick the best one. I`m really tired when I see, that my 20th Vulpix is Jolly or Adamant again.

Anyway, I was lucky in my LG. My first Lapras from Saffron was Gentle, and 5th Vulpix- Modest.

SulcataIxlude

Ibrojiini Hii'shan
    Years
  • I agree with Flannery, the natures for the most part are just a new burden to help devoid us Pokemon addicts of our free time in search of a 'good natured' Pokemon. Anyways, I was in Rock Tunnel in LG, and all of a sudden this level 16 Male Machop appears. For the heck of it I tossed a great ball, caught it, and checked it out.

It was a adamant Machop who seemed like he has a ton of IVs in Attack. =D Now he is a level 50 Machoke waiting for me to pass Victory Road for me to cream the elite four, and activate that one machine on island one that allows you to trade with Colo (nobody in my town I know of plays Pokemon not even my friends, so I have to resort to other trading methods. XD)

Poke-Master

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • well when i restarted my firered i wanted to catch a LV5 pidgey in the wild. i did, but its nature was sassy. ooh that wasted speed, but i love the higher special defense. pikachu had the opposite: a naive nature which trades special defense for speed.
    Thats why if your not EV specific better catch a Pokemon with a Neutral nature instead: Docile, Bashful, Hardy, Quirky and Serious. I wanted my Slaking to have the highest Attack, and the guide said an Adamant Nature is best since we don't need Special Attacks. Surprise Surprise in Petalburg i caught an adamant one.
    My Blastoise is Mild.

Back