• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mac vs. Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    If this was true, then Apple's new TV would support 1080p.

Apple's 'new' iTV is a rumor as far as anything is concerned right now.

I'm not saying they do support 1080p, nor am I saying that they certainly will - it's just puzzling to see you of all people basing light criticism off of something that hasn't been confirmed yet.

locoroco

Ginga Densetsu Weed ANIME PWNS
    Years
  • I'm a PC user. Mostly due to the fact that I use and test programs that are not available for macs. Even though Mac are more higher up with graphics, I have no problem making them through windows 7.

again like twocows has been sayin pc is personal computer it does not reffer to windows.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • TBH, I don't see how Mac security is any better than Windows. I mean, true, hackers and programmer are limited when it comes to Mac OS, and no malware/viruses to affect it. You are as threatened to be affected with a virus, either you're a Mac or Windows user.

And I think Apple does support 1080p, but as Zet implied, it's not found in the new TV implementation.
    I didn't really understand you, but I think you said that there is no malware for OS X. That's not true; there is malware that affects OS X. There are no "viruses" in the traditional sense, but there is plenty of other stuff that is just as bad.

Years
  • I didn't really understand you, but I think you said that there is no malware for OS X. That's not true; there is malware that affects OS X. There are no "viruses" in the traditional sense, but there is plenty of other stuff that is just as bad.

He then went on to contradict himself, anyway. I'm not explicitly fighting for Apple here, but while the OS is not foolproof, I don't get why people are trying to say that it's just as open as Windows. I'd personally rather run a Mac with no security apps than a Windows installation with no security apps. It's still a damn sight less prone to infection than Windows, it's just not perfect. Jeez, Symbian OS can get viruses.

Évan1

Now you're gone!
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Aug 19, 2010
    I didn't really understand you, but I think you said that there is no malware for OS X. That's not true; there is malware that affects OS X. There are no "viruses" in the traditional sense, but there is plenty of other stuff that is just as bad.

Okay okay, I wasn't clear; my English is not so good. What I mean is Windows can be affected more due to more hackers/programmers targeting this widely used OS. However, Mac also can be affected; it's not 100% secure. It's just not that open and targeted as Windows. I am a Mac user myself and I've been affected with viruses, so I'm simply stating my opinion as a 3 year Mac user.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    If this was true, then Apple's new TV would support 1080p.
    Aside from the fact that they are made from the same company, I'm trying to figure out how the rumored iTV has anything to do with Macs.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    any one wants to shed some light on the boot up time for mac?

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • any one wants to shed some light on the boot up time for mac?

So, I usually don't actually start up my iMac all that often, usually just sleep it.
    But this got me curious so I just did a pretty cold start that took 44.9 seconds from when I hit the power button to when all my startup programs finished loading. Hope this helps.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • So, I usually don't actually start up my iMac all that often, usually just sleep it.
    But this got me curious so I just did a pretty cold start that took 44.9 seconds from when I hit the power button to when all my startup programs finished loading. Hope this helps.
    I'm quite curious as to which iMac you have. Particularly the processor.

John-117

Jirachi lover
    Years
  • Now security. Like all Windows users have experienced, Windows is the most prone OS to viruses and problems. Whereas Mac OS is a secure OS (because UNIX is secure), and is yet to be affected with viruses.
    its normal that Windows have a lot of virus, because many people use windows, so more people want to hurt other people.

missingnoresearcher

I like your bedsheets
    Years
  • Windows: Too bad actually. Just ridden with viruses and slow.
    Mac: Fast and reliable. Too bad it's 3x expensive.
    Linux: Just as good, only FREE. Needs catching up in some areas though.
    (I tried like 5 distros before finally finding a functional one for my laptop.
    Usually, linux plus laptop equals no. Other that, you're off pretty good.
    BSD:...wait, why is that on the list? XD

Last edited by a moderator:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Windows: Too bad actually. Just ridden with viruses and slow.
    Mac: Fast and reliable. Too bad it's 3x expensive.
    Linux: Just as good, only FREE. Needs catching up in some areas though.
    (I tried like 5 distros before finally finding a functional one for my laptop.
    Usually, linux plus laptop equals no. Other that, you're off pretty good.
    BSD:...wait, why is that on the list? XD
    Windows isn't slow unless you're using horribly outdated hardware or you have a virus. Proper maintenance is also important, but it's primarily those first two things.

Anyway, we seem to have passed the point where people are discussing things and more or less just throwing out hearsay, so I'll be closing this now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back