• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mac vs. Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    Hey guys! I heard many people say that Mac is better than Windows. But being a Windows owner ever since ive had a computer, i have no idea what is soo good in Mac. To me it looks like windows 98 (lol).
    So, to Mac owners, id like to ask, what is good about Mac and what makes it better than Windows (if any). :rambo:

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    I think you've opened an OS war. xD

Anyway, here's my opinion.

Let's talk about stability and functioning. Windows is probably one of the least stable OSs' out there. This is because all the components of Windows are linked. If one program crashes, the whole system dies.

Mac OS on the other hand has based its system from UNIX, the most stable operating system. The programs are separated and if one program crashes you can restart it or force quit it (a feature only in Mac OS).

Now security. Like all Windows users have experienced, Windows is the most prone OS to viruses and problems. Whereas Mac OS is a secure OS (because UNIX is secure), and is yet to be affected with viruses.

When talking about power and production, I think Windows is your choice. For gaming or building software, Windows proves to be the most reliable in this area. Mac OS is not bad, but I would recommend Windows.

Windows users usually find it hard to switch to another OS. There are many other differences, but I am tired of writing. So, the best way to know about Mac, is to try it out. I hope this helps, my friend.

Last edited:
    Years
    A Mac OS is actually not any more secure than a Windows OS, it's just that no one really bothers to write a virus or other malware for a Mac OS because it's got such a small market share (around 10%, while Windows has most of the remaining 90%), and people who make viruses and such do it so they can make a profit from it, be it advertising with spambots by hijacking someone's email account, or stealing someone's personal information and selling it to advertisers.

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    A Mac OS is actually not any more secure than a Windows OS, it's just that no one really bothers to write a virus or other malware for a Mac OS because it's got such a small market share (around 10%, while Windows has most of the remaining 90%), and people who make viruses and such do it so they can make a profit from it, be it advertising with spambots by hijacking someone's email account, or stealing someone's personal information and selling it to advertisers.

Yes, very true. Like I said, it is yet to be affected with viruses. Mac users are increasing (as I read somewhere) so anti-viruses and anti-spy ware programs will shortly be needed for Mac OS; eventually.

Years
    Yes, very true. Like I said, it is yet to be affected with viruses. Mac users are increasing (as I read somewhere) so anti-viruses and anti-spy ware programs will shortly be needed for Mac OS; eventually.

They actually should be using them now, since they are at risk still, since some people do program viruses for them, it's just a very small minority of those who program malware.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    By a coincidence, I am a Mac user and I already use Antivirus/Anti-spam/anti-malware software. granted that may be overkill at this time, I feel it necessary. (It also help that it scans for Windows Viruses in addition to Mac OS coded viruses.)

To be honest, whether you prefer mac or windows boils right down to personal preference. I use Mac because I like Mac, but that doesn't mean I hate Windows. (I'm typing this message from the Windows 7 Partition on my Mac)

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Wii OS is best. But other than that (and Linux), it's Windows pre-Vista for me.

Zet

Years

Anyway, here's my opinion.

Let's talk about stability and functioning. Windows is probably one of the least stable OSs' out there. This is because all the components of Windows are linked. If one program crashes, the whole system dies.

Mac OS on the other hand has based its system from UNIX, the most stable operating system. The programs are separated and if one program crashes you can restart it or force quit it (a feature only in Mac OS).

Now security. Like all Windows users have experienced, Windows is the most prone OS to viruses and problems. Whereas Mac OS is a secure OS (because UNIX is secure), and is yet to be affected with viruses.

When talking about power and production, I think Windows is your choice. For gaming or building software, Windows proves to be the most reliable in this area. Mac OS is not bad, but I would recommend Windows.

Windows users usually find it hard to switch to another OS. There are many other differences, but I am tired of writing. So, the best way to know about Mac, is to try it out. I hope this helps, my friend.

The whole Windows system doesn't crash/freeze on me when one program crashes, do you even use a Windows OS?

Mac OS X on the other is not the most stable it is on par with Windows, get your head out of the lies that macfans/jobs spreads to the world.

Security: Yes Windows may be more vulnerable to viruses, but that doesn't stop the fact that apple sometimes does a ninja update to the antimalware file on the OS from time to time to prevent the latest viruses in the wild. Not really that great any more, eh?

If you want to try out a mac, just go to a mac store in your local city or just go to a store that sells macs and try it out.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    It's a comparison between apples and oranges. Or maybe oranges to tangerines. Each has its strong points. Putting aside my issues with Apple as a corporation and its higher-ups, I just have more use for Windows and no reason to use anything else.

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    The whole Windows system doesn't crash/freeze on me when one program crashes, do you even use a Windows OS?

Mac OS X on the other is not the most stable it is on par with Windows, get your head out of the lies that macfans/jobs spreads to the world.

Security: Yes Windows may be more vulnerable to viruses, but that doesn't stop the fact that apple sometimes does a ninja update to the antimalware file on the OS from time to time to prevent the latest viruses in the wild. Not really that great any more, eh?

If you want to try out a mac, just go to a mac store in your local city or just go to a store that sells macs and try it out.

No, I don't use Windows. I used to, though. It used to happened to me with Windows; namely XP (SP 2). I use Mac OS now. I was just stating my experience with Windows, as a previous Windows user :\

Anyway, I don't know what you want to do, but try out the Mac. IF you don't like it, switch back..

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    oh my?!? i really think i have.

but really, ive never seen many people use mac OS. And also why is mac so expensive? :\ (in comparison to a windows PC or laptop with almost the same specs.)

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    No, I don't use Windows. I used to, though. It used to happened to me with Windows; namely XP (SP 2). I use Mac OS now. I was just stating my experience with Windows, as a previous Windows user :\

Anyway, I don't know what you want to do, but try out the Mac. IF you don't like it, switch back..

Tried it, hated it, make Mac virus on top of my To-Destroy list. Besides, SP2 is horrific, SP3 makes up for the errors. And don't kill Windows Explorer, you need to force-boot it to return your desktop.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    oh my?!? i really think i have.

but really, ive never seen many people use mac OS. And also why is mac so expensive? :\ (in comparison to a windows PC or laptop with almost the same specs.)

Oh dear god, you've started the fires of a flame war. It's a good thing I've already donned my fireproof jacket and taken out my marshmallow and stick; the flames will get pretty hot.

The reason why Mac hardware is so expensive in relation to comparable PCs is because of the proprietary hardware. However, as anyone here can testify to, Macs are basically PC clones, which means that in essence, you're just paying more for the Apple logo (granted, it's very nice expensive hardware, but that's a moot point). Besides, you can hack the OS and put it on a much less expensive PC (I've done it).

In terms of security, the real winner is Linux. Windows has millions of viruses, but the overall integrity of its security is tighter than OS X's. OS X, on the flipside, has exponentially fewer viruses because of its relative obscurity; because it commands a low portion of the market, no one really cares to code viruses for it. Linux has debatably much tighter security than either two commercial OSes, and its market share is in the decimal places. So yeah...

Program compatibility: Windows is obviously the winner here. Because much of the world runs Windows, more developers make programs for Windows. There's no debate here. Granted, there are programs to alleviate this difference in OS X and Linux, like WINE or CrossOver, but they're not perfect replacements. Thankfully for us OS X users, there are Mac versions of the important stuff and replacements for other stuff. Linux users, you're on your own, since I don't know too much about that.

Appearance: that's your own personal preference. I like OS X's streamlined look, but you might have different thoughts about it.

I'm not going to post a winner here, but I'll let you decide. Yes, you. On the other side of that computer monitor.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    The only issue I have with Macs is that they are so hard to try. I'm not saying the OS is hard to figure out because all ads and mac fans will tell me ad nauseum that it's simple. I just... do not have the funds for a mac. :s If I were already using a Mac and trying to switch to Windows, it'd be easy to pick up a really cheap computer just to learn the ropes and figure out how the OS works. And I might not even need to do that since Windows can be installed on pretty much any computer. Linux is the same--if I wanna try it, it's easy to do that. But Macs? The only way to try OSX without paying an arm and a leg for it is to set up a Hackintosh and that's not always easy, plus you have to fiddle around a LOT with drivers and the like, last I knew. You sacrifice some features just to run OSX on a non-Mac and that's not a good introduction. (Though I personally would not know exactly how this works because I've never managed it before.)

Part of the reason Macs are so secure and stable isn't just because people don't write many viruses or malware for them, it's because they're so restricted. Windows was written to work with anything, within reason. It'll work with all sorts of different graphic cards, sound cards, peripherals, you name it. But Macs, to my understanding, aren't quite the same way. Since Apple assembles them and sells them as-is, for the most part. So they directly control what the OS has to work with and anything else is foreign--they don't really need to care about it because that's not what they put into the computers. Yes, the parts they use are good quality (...or so I've heard), but the parts they use are used in ALL Macs, so you don't run into weird system crashes as a result of a part being finicky or not playing nice. :[ I know almost all of my major Windows issues in the last few years have been the result of hardware and you just don't have that problem so much with Macs--or very few people I know have had problems like that.

But still, the price point. I'm not going to pay a minimum of $600 just to get a crappy computer (I think that's what the Mini retails for?) for the sake of trying out an OS I might not like. I'd love to try a Mac, but standing in an Apple store for 10 minutes to try out the OS or playing around with a friend's computer for an hour is not enough to know if I'd actually like it or not and without the money to throw at a Mac on a whim, there's really no way for me to know. So unfortunately, I barely consider OSX and Windows, or Macs vs PCs if you will, to be very comparable. Because unless you already own a Mac (which you likely only own because you already like them), you're probably stuck with Windows-only whether you like it or not. :[ So few people can make the comparison well, imo.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Something like this, like TheAppleFreak said, is user preference. I have used both in my lifetime. I like both. Windows does have weaknesses, like program compatibility (ROM tools not being compatible with Vista), and price. Let's compare.

Mac Vs. PC- Price

Both are relatively expensive. A Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade can cost up to $500. The price of a Tower for a Windows PC can cost anywhere between 400-1000 dollars. But, when you bbuy a Windows PC, you need to but the screen, and all the peripherals separately. Macs nowadays have everything in the screen- and this saves space. Macs, though cost between 1500 and 3000 dollars, though.

Mac Vs. PC- Availability of Programs

Windows has a wide variety of programs and games because it's widely used. Macs don't have nearly as much, but people that invest in WINE can use Windows programs seamlessly. Also, you can install Windows on a different Partition if you run a Mac, but Windows can't run Mac OS on a different partition, because of compatibility. Mac programs won't run on Windows either.

Mac Vs. PC- Security

Every day, viruses, malware, Trojans and worms are made to attack Windows users. The reason Windows OS is so susceptible to viruses is because if important files in the Computers are damaged or destroyed, it can make the system crash because the files that rely on the damaged/destroyed file won't operate correctly. Macs run differently. Each part of the system is separate, but work all together, so if one is destroyed, it can be replaced easily because you still have limited access to the OS. Windows usually will require a fresh reinstall. There are security programs for both though.

As stated above, it's all preference.
    Well, putting aside that Macs are PCs...

Windows 7 Ultimate full costs $320 (source), but most people won't need to buy it. Windows is bundled with most PCs, and because of Microsoft's OEM deal with most manufacturers, Windows is more or less free on new computers (or highly discounted). Even if you did need to purchase it, you can get Home Premium (which is all you really need) for $200, and if you already had Windows, you can get it for $120. Plus, Microsoft offers discounts to businesses, educational institutes, and students, among others. The thing is, though, you don't need to buy a new computer to use Windows 7 (unless your current one is really old). Even Apple computers can run Windows. So that $120 is really all the investment you need. If you want to use OS X, you need to buy a modern Apple-branded computer (unless you hackintosh, which is arguably illegal). I suppose you could have already had one of those, but most people don't.

As for Windows application compatibility, WINE is hardly a solution. It is, at best, a bandage for people with one or two must-have Windows applications, and it's not guaranteed to work. VirtualBox or similar software or dual-booting Windows would work, though, but that involves purchasing Windows.

And it's also not true that a malicious program couldn't trash an OS X based computer. The approach might be different, but you could just as easily render an OS X computer unusable by deleting a few key files as you could a Windows computer.

vinylscratchp0n3

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Years
    I think an OS where you don't need a virus protection software is awesome. But my dad won't let me get a Mac, even though you can run Windows on one. (why would anyone want to run Windows?) :(

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Something like this, like TheAppleFreak said, is user preference. I have used both in my lifetime. I like both. Windows does have weaknesses, like program compatibility (ROM tools not being compatible with Vista), and price. Let's compare.

Mac Vs. PC- Price

Both are relatively expensive. A Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade can cost up to $500. The price of a Tower for a Windows PC can cost anywhere between 400-1000 dollars. But, when you bbuy a Windows PC, you need to but the screen, and all the peripherals separately. Macs nowadays have everything in the screen- and this saves space. Macs, though cost between 1500 and 3000 dollars, though.

Mac Vs. PC- Availability of Programs

Windows has a wide variety of programs and games because it's widely used. Macs don't have nearly as much, but people that invest in WINE can use Windows programs seamlessly. Also, you can install Windows on a different Partition if you run a Mac, but Windows can't run Mac OS on a different partition, because of compatibility. Mac programs won't run on Windows either.

Mac Vs. PC- Security

Every day, viruses, malware, Trojans and worms are made to attack Windows users. The reason Windows OS is so susceptible to viruses is because if important files in the Computers are damaged or destroyed, it can make the system crash because the files that rely on the damaged/destroyed file won't operate correctly. Macs run differently. Each part of the system is separate, but work all together, so if one is destroyed, it can be replaced easily because you still have limited access to the OS. Windows usually will require a fresh reinstall. There are security programs for both though.

As stated above, it's all preference.

I'm a die-hard Mac user, but this is not true.

This thread is beginning to become one of those messes where everybody states an unfounded, argument-taunting fanboyish opinion on something that is really down to personal preference and willingness/ability to purchase.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years

(The rest was cut out because it was huuuge)

Your name should be changed to Information Fail.

Anyways..

I am a PC user, I have no problems with using a Mac though. I use Macs at school in the computer lab all the time, I've noticed they have trouble connecting to a certain brand of wireless modem.

For me personally, they're both as useful. I just browse the web. The games that I do play are also for Macs.

But Macs are much more expensive because you're paying for a brand name (just like you are with Dell, HP, Toshiba, Vaio, and so on.) But Macs are also made out of better, more durable material than a lot of PCs are.

Zet

Years
    I think an OS where you don't need a virus protection software is awesome. But my dad won't let me get a Mac, even though you can run Windows on one. (why would anyone want to run Windows?) :(
    I'm not sure if you're just trolling or not, but you do know that the mac has viruses and crap right? because the mac is a PC.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back