• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Male, female, does it matter?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Do you have a certain preference of what gender you want some (or all) your Pokemon to be? For me, it just depends on the Pokemon. Feminine looking Pokemon (like Umbreon, Gardevoir, Lopunny) I prefer female, as well as with starter Pokemon. Otherwise, I really don't care.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Oct 6, 2010
    I really never cared. I use to attempt to get both male and female of each pokemon. I gave that up quickly... Now im back to not caring considering I cant read the text in the game im playing now XD

Hatenko

Hiya!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2010
    I tend to have alot of gender exclusives in my party now (Vespiquen, Gallade), but I typically tend to go for whatever the Pokemon looks like. If it's dainty, tiny, petite, graceful, well shaped, etc., I tend to go for the females. Like a male Gardevoir, that's just wrong.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    It makes no difference to me, but I generally prefer my favorite pokemon to share the same gender as me. :P

I am rather picky about my Roserade being female when I restarted my Pearl game awhile back though. :P

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
    It depends on the Pokemon.

I'm also pretty picky about gender diversity; I don't like the idea of having an all male party. No Pokemon team of mine is gonna be no sausage fest.

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    I prefer my Pokemon to be males, but if the Pokemon looks feminine (Roserade, for example), then I'll get a female instead.

But in the end I guess it doesn't really matter.

joehat

Yay
    Years
    It definitely matters to me. I just can't have a male Lopunny or Gardevoir, it doesn't seem right.

Pokemon that I have a tough time imagining a male counterpart of:

Gardevoir
    Lopunny
    Ninetales
    Rapidash
    Ledyba, Ledian
    Bellossom
    Sunflora
    Sneasel, Weavile
    Beautifly
    Skitty, Delcatty
    Mawile
    Medicham
    Altaria
    MILOTIC
    Cherrim
    Glameow, Purugly

The list for male's only would be like 3 times as long...Some notables like Alakazam and Machamp...Agh....Female Machamp......Ah..

Rainflower

분홍신
    Years
    it all depends on my player character gender. if i chose female player, then the majority of the party should be female and vice-versa. XD

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    I used to want all my Poke'mon female, but I changed my mind when I realized that it was a stupid idea and now look at me with my awesome MALE Blaziken and all that jazz. ^_^
    Most of my Poke'mon are female, though.

sabapple

Fly High☆
    Years
    Most of my team is male, the only times I have a female on my team is if I feel the Pokemon shouldn't be male, like Milotic,

Cheesymitten

Dukcs
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2015
    I didn't like it when my starter pokemon turned out to be a girl,
    Later on in life i realised i needed the female pokemon X3
    And then i never got that female starter again =(
    But i usually never pay attention to the genders...

Idiomorph

Pokémon Geneticist
    Years
    I usually run with whatever gender my best hatchling happens to have... I had difficulty thinking of my Breloom and Flygon as female at first, but now I have trouble with the reverse proposition!

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    I never really thought about it until I read somewhere that you're more likely to come across male Pokémon as a female trainer and visa-versa. Then I took a look at all of my Pokémon, and realised they are all boys. XD So I would like a girl Pokémon one day, if only to break the chain. o.o

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I don't normally have a preference. I actually kind of like when my girly Pokemon are female and vice versa. xD;

But... I ALWAYS have to have a female Pichu to train to a Raichu in every game. In my Diamond version, my very first Cherrim had to be male. In Platinum, my Cherrim needed to be female. Actually, in Platinum, all of my Pokemon were female except my Vaporeon but that was okay because it was named Jeef. Oh, and any Nosepass/Probopass I have has to be female. It's just weird otherwise. ♥

For the most part, I don't care about genders though.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    The only time I've bothered about gender is when I was looking for a female Budew, because I wanted to call it Cordelia. But apart from that, I don't care.

Back