• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Manga vs. Anime (IMO)

Years
  • I've been most interested in the anime for a while now, and have just read most of the translated series. All I'm missing now is #4, 5, and 7. Everyone says that the manga is better than the anime, but here's my opinion on which characters are better:

Red/ Ash: I dunno. Red's cooler, but sometimes he gets on my nerves.
    Blue/ Green/ Gary: Blue/ Green. He's much calmer and more collected and besides, Gary turns too nice at the end of the anime.
    Oak: Anime. He's just easier to like IMO.
    Brock: Anime. Does Manga even have a personality?
    Misty: They're about the same. I kind of like Anime better because of her past, though. Of course the fact that Manga is a mermaid is cool, too...
    Serge: Manga. Anime just lacks...something.
    Sabrina: About the same.
    Erica: Manga. I hate that spoiled-brat-princess-femenist-male-hater that is Anime Erica.
    Koga: I don't really like either one...
    Blaine: About the same.
    Giovanni: Anime. He seems cooler and more evil. Sure, we never get to see him kill in the anime, but that certainly doesn't mean he doesn't...
    Lorelei/ Prima: Lorelei. Prima is kind of weird o_O. Plus, the voodoo thing is kind of cool.
    Bruno: Anime. Manga is just obnoxious and kind of geeky.
    Agatha: Er...she doesn't yet exist in the anime.
    Lance: I've heard him say a grand total of like five lines in the manga, so I can't really say. Most people tell me that I'll like Manga better. Mind you, I've never been too fond of mass murdurers (but thieves and assasins are cool ^_^).

And as to the world itself:
    I don't really like how it's so anarcish. I wish the anime would be a little more realistic like the manga (and not so sunshine-rainbow-kitten), but the manga world seems kind of...I dunno. "Too dark" isn't the phrase I'm looking for. I've seen darker. Maybe "too harsh"? Meh, don't mind me, I'm rambling...

But yeah, I love the manga, but anime is still my favorite medium. I've kind of always liked anime better anyway, maybe that's why. Manga confuses me sometimes.

Anything anyone want to add? Make your own comparisons? Maybe tell me about other characters I don't know yet? Tell me what I've left out? Tell me if this is spam or not (that wasn't the intention)?

Years
  • my turn ^^

Red vs Ash
    First of all, Red is virtually older than Ash. The manga has a timeline rather than the anime. If you go by the anime, Ash is ten years old while Red is fifteen. Red also has a pretty strong team. Most of them are fully evolved and so on...not counting his old Pikachu. He even has a better looking outfit. But Red annoys a bit sometimes. MANGA.

Gary vs Green(jp)/Blue(jp)
    Hands down manga! Green has the best outfit in the G/S/C manga compared to Gary. Gary just wears his usual purple shirt and sometimes that cape and hood but Green wears his traditional, cape AND gym leader outfit. Though both have a good team, but Gary annoys me and Green looks like he's taller than Gary. MANGA.

Oak (Anime) vs Oak (Special) vs Oak (Ono)
    If I removed Toshiro Ono's Oak, Anime could have won. This is where Oak seems to lack... um ... something. But Oak in Toshiro Ono's manga looks like he's in his late 30's rather than in his late 50's or something. NO DESICION.

Storyline/Plot
    The anime plot against the Special Plot? You have to be kidding me. It's manga hands down! In the anime, the main goal of our hero is to become the world's greatest Pokemon master. In the manga, our heroes stop a Team bent on world domination, 4 -er- 3 Insanely strong humans bent on abolishing the human race, a madman who is ambitious on plunging the world into sub-zero temperatures etc etc. You do the judging. MANGA.

Lance (Anime) vs Lance (Manga)
    Oh. You will see the complete difference between a "g-man" and a Psychic Psycho bent on abolishing the human race soon. Oh...btw, Lance's hair in the manga is way cooler than that hair in the anime. MANGA

Kenta vs Gold
    Obviously, Kenta is much more older than Gold. There seems to be something wrong with Kenta. It's his same goal. "To be a Pokemon master" is starting to annoy me while wiping out Team Rocket seems to be satisfying. Their clothes seem to be similar except Gold's hairstyle and Goggles. Gold also has his signature billiard stick and skate board and that...attitude... foolhardy... MANGA

Marina vs Crystal
    There's a wide wide wide range in goals between the two. Marina wants to be a good example for trainers while Crystal, well Crys likes to catch alot by Kicking Pokeballs. Marina just has a Pokegear while Crystal has a connectable Pokedex and Pokegear. NO DESICION.

May vs Sapphire
    Ok...by attitude, Sapphire wins. By "wildness" Sapphire wins. By hatred with Ruby, Sapphire wins. MANGA.

Anime Gym Leaders vs Manga Gym Leaders
    O.O The anime Gym Leaders don't get too much air. They just hangout in the gym waiting for challengers. Manga Gym leaders? It's like this: Corruption, Team Rocket affiliation, Mewtwo Genes in your arm, You discover Suicune, You control Mewtwo, You lead a band of rogues, you're bent on plunging the world in sub-zero temperatures, Jhoto vs Kanto tournament, you hate that boy with the Aipom, You control Raikou, Entei and Suicune. You summon Ho-oh and Lugia.... MANGA.

shiny_jiggly

Pu? (Clueless?)
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Pu?
    • Seen Apr 30, 2008
    Oak (Anime) vs Oak (Special)
    Oak doesn't seem to come out often in both, so...
    Rating: -NA-

Storyline/Plot
    The anime's storyplot is a bit too draggy to keep the suspense growing. As for the manga, you will sometimes never seem to know what will happen next.
    Rating: Manga

Lance (Anime) vs Lance (Manga)
    Quote from Oni: "You will see the complete difference between a "g-man" and a Psychic Psycho bent on abolishing the human race soon."
    Obviously.
    That makes him a very interesting character in the manga. He, like Yellow, is a Pokemon Psychic too.

Kenta vs Gold
    If you know Gold's attitude, he is as mischievious as his Aipom could be :P I like his equipment too, especially that extendable billard stick. I think that would be more interesting than a normal Pokemon trainer Kenta is

??? vs Silver
    You only see him in the opening of the Raikou Special in the anime. Obviously there is more about him in the manga than the anime.

Years
  • No, don't get me wrong, I like the manga plot. It's just that the genral feel of the world seems...I still can't think of the word I'm looking for...
    I like shows and manga like Yu-gi-oh and Chobits (though that's not really dark) and all the action scenes in Tenchi, so I don't think that it's because it's darker and more violent. Plus, I wish the anime had some more dark aspects to it.

shiny_jiggly

Pu? (Clueless?)
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Pu?
    • Seen Apr 30, 2008
    Lady Dragonrider said:
    No, don't get me wrong, I like the manga plot. It's just that the genral feel of the world seems...I still can't think of the word I'm looking for...
    I like shows and manga like Yu-gi-oh and Chobits (though that's not really dark) and all the action scenes in Tenchi, so I don't think that it's because it's darker and more violent. Plus, I wish the anime had some more dark aspects to it.
    Complex? As in some parts funny and some complex or there's much more suspense to it?

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    I dunno... I wouldn't exactly want to see the Pok?mon Anime turn into some dark, gloomy show; that's why they created Yu-Gi-Oh! If Pok?mon turned like that, I wouldn't want to watch it anymore. Not many girls like me enjoy watching Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Pok?mon's supposed to be made for both genders, so... *shrugs*

Years
  • Kayleigh said:
    I dunno... I wouldn't exactly want to see the Pok?mon Anime turn into some dark, gloomy show; that's why they created Yu-Gi-Oh! If Pok?mon turned like that, I wouldn't want to watch it anymore. Not many girls like me enjoy watching Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Pok?mon's supposed to be made for both genders, so... *shrugs*

Special isn't that "dark". It just has a better plot, storyline and characters. It looks dark because the Rockets DO kill Pokemon. ^^ (What the heck are those whips for then?)

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    They.. kill them? O_O *runs off to kick some Rocket butt* But first, I have seen the Special manga. ^_^; I meant like the Anime; I wouldn't want them to turn it into some evil looking show, lol.

Years
  • punkie90 said:
    I would say anime because is better and it's better showed then you having to read it!

O.O Dude, state your reasons... like... How is Ash better than Red

(Or have you even read a single Adventures/Special manga) *devilish-glare-smile*

Last edited:

Omega-Brendan

Bahamut's Owner
    Years
  • One word, Manga iz z best,

Red VS Ash
    When they start they have the same goal, but Red is just better than Ash, Red has a better team, we could get them together to fight, Red is probably gonna win. Plus, he looks cooler too.
    MANGA

Green VS Gary
    They both start out the same, being the loner and being v. experienced. They're teams can be comparablle. But Green looks cooler with 2 1/2 outfits(just that cape is an outfit!?) But I like Green's Pokemon better.
    MANGA

Brock VS Brock
    Manga Brock. He has a bigger variety of Pokemon and fights seriously, and the breeder goal bugs me because he's always there to show off.
    MANGA

Misty VS Misty
    Misty in manga is better, shes a mermaid instead of your average girl... But Misty in anime looks better.
    DRAW

Rest of gym leaders
    MANGA(they get more screen time... or page time...)

J&J VS TR
    well, Team rocket's missions' make more sense, its this Lawrence III kinda mission, and I kinda liked the capture legendary mission.
    MANGA

too tired to explain the rest... sayonara pplz

shep

Water Pokemon Trainer OC profile
    Years
  • if the anime took a darker approach (it does need a less, kiddy, happy feel) it would probably appear to be a desperate attempt to mimic yugioh...

shiny_jiggly

Pu? (Clueless?)
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Pu?
    • Seen Apr 30, 2008
    I doubt it would be that serious.
    Could you ever imagine a Pikachu to be evil both in looks and personality?

punkie90

You can call me PK!
    Years
  • Well. No i haven't read any manga before but I browesed through it. But i do have to say. Anime is a little bit for kids. So maybe once i get some manga I can tell you my true opinion!

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    I love the manga; but I've only seen two books of the Special manga, so naturally I'm more used to the Anime and I like it better. Just out of curiousity, does Green get any nicer throughout the series? I liked seeing Gary nice, but then again, watching him act really friendly around Ash just didn't make him seem like his normal self, lol. XD They should've kept him a little more mysterious and quiet.. In my opinion.

shiny_jiggly

Pu? (Clueless?)
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Pu?
    • Seen Apr 30, 2008
    I just think Green's personality is "cool" throughout the manga. I like him better than Gary, who always hangs around like a playboy with girls at his side.

Miyu-chan

.::f l o w e r g i r l::.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 23, 2014
    From what I've read here, I'm asuuming that this "Manga" is Pokemon Special, ne? n_n; Okay... I just have one question.... Misty/Kasumi is a mermaid? In special?! x_x; *goes to read special manga...* x_x;

Years
  • Miyu-chan said:
    From what I've read here, I'm asuuming that this "Manga" is Pokemon Special, ne? n_n; Okay... I just have one question.... Misty/Kasumi is a mermaid? In special?! x_x; *goes to read special manga...* x_x;
    Yup. Volume two. She rescues Red from a dragonite in the form of a mermaid.

Omega-Brendan

Bahamut's Owner
    Years
  • check vol.2 miyu. Versus Dragonite.

Oh and punkie90, you could just visit pokespecial.tk(when it comes back up) and you'll meet the biggest Pokemon Special fansite

Miyu-chan

.::f l o w e r g i r l::.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 23, 2014
    Really? *lost Vol.2* u.u I'll go buy it again then... >.>;

Back