• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

arpeejajo

King Of Muay Thai
Years
  • Rated Map: andyp159's map

Rating: 9/10

Reason: I think this map is very well done. It looks really natural, like something you'd actually see in a game.

Suggestions:
    Keep up the good work.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • Andyp159, I'm gonna give both of your maps a quick rating.

I'm short on time, so pardon me for just focusing on the problems.

Both are well done, natural and all, BUT, I spy severe tree-shadow mistakes on the big trees, and connection errors on the medium-sized.

Also, the flower placement looks really lazy.

Overall, aside from these common problems, this is two maps which are nearly as good as it gets with the FrLg tileset.

Both gets a 8/10.

snap12

Billie Jean is not my lover
    Years
  • This is my first submission!

Base: Punk Rocker and Kyledove's rombase
    Map Name: Longshore City
    Comments: I've only been mapping for a few weeks and this is one of the better one's (i think) that I have come up with. Be brutal, I want to get better :)

edit: I know the cave looks a bit wierd but I cant figure out how to get the top of it looking right. suggestions?

Map shot:

arpeejajo

King Of Muay Thai
    Years
  • Rated Map: snap12's map

Rating: 7/10

Reason: Nice layout. Only 1 problem for me, there seems to be too many things (flowers, rocks, etc..) on the map. It's looking too busy.

Suggestions:
    Remove some rocks in the grassy areas.

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    This is my first submission!

Comments: I've only been mapping for a few weeks and this is one of the better one's (i think) that I have come up with. Be brutal, I want to get better :)

edit: I know the cave looks a bit wierd but I cant figure out how to get the top of it looking right. suggestions?

Map shot:
    well if you want me to be brutal :badsmile:...
    way too square, No more to be said.
    why on earth would you put fallen logs where mountains are supposed to be? For the cave, make as if it were part of mountain that the city rests on. So that you go under city when you enter the cave. Also there are too many tile errors.
    by rating: 3/10

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2012
    Map Name: Rough Rock Plateau
    Map Game: Aura Shard
    Credits: 874521, Kyledove
    Mapshot:

snap12

Years

• well if you want me to be brutal :badsmile:...
    way too square, No more to be said.
    why on earth would you put fallen logs where mountains are supposed to be? For the cave, make as if it were part of mountain that the city rests on. So that you go under city when you enter the cave. Also there are too many tile errors.
    by rating: 3/10

very good points. thank you man, I appreciate it

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
    Years
  • Map Name: Canen Town
    Map Game: Its for Practise
    Credits: Me!(I made all the tiles)
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

snap12

Years
  • Map Name: Canen Town
    Map Game: Its for Practise
    Credits: Me!(I made all the tiles)
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

I like it except for the two trees right in front of the first house. Plus there is a small tile error on the right side. Interesting new tiles, and props that you made them your self!

7.5/10

Otter

Reminiscing Every Now and Then
    Years
  • What better way to spend my time after vacation than to tidy up the map rating thead a bit, eh? Let's see who got left behind...

Map Name: Rough Rock Plateau
    Map Game: Aura Shard
    Credits: 874521, Kyledove
    Mapshot:

This looked very promising before I brought it up to full size. So the idea is good. High rocky plateau in the middle of a forest.. you seem to have nailed that pretty well, especially with the custom buildings and the large rocks scattered all over. There's a few things I'd tweak, though.

Stairs. You tried playing around with the shape of the plateau, which is good, but having those stairs ascend the entire way up in a straight line is not a good idea in my book. Try to avoid putting more than 2 stairs together, or even better just leave it at 1. However, considering the number of levels you have to climb in this map, that would probably be too complicated, so 2 is fine.

Grass. The tall grass, rather. Putting it in cities is generally not a good idea. While the forest area at the very bottom of the map could actually be okay for tall grass (since it's away from the buildings like that), the grass on the bottom right and that random patch in the middle are bad, imo. Save the grass for routes.

Rocks. Most importantly, the small ones on the cliffs. You used them in a different way, which is a nice thing to try with maps, but I'm not sure what purpose it serves here. If you just put them there as decorations, I'd suggest removing them and tweaking the slopes themselves a bit to make it more interesting. You'll have to do that for the stairs anyways. Finally, while the big rocks up top add to the rocky feel nicely, I would suggest moving them around a bit to give more "paths", making it feel more like a town carved out of the plateau, rather than a bunch of houses peppered onto a slab of rock.

Walking Space. Not a huge issue, but you've got some narrow ledges which aren't very good for playability. Also, thinking about it in terms of a real place, people don't want to be walking on a narrow ledge right next to a big cliff. Add some railings OR just extend the ledge a bit and add a few rocks on the side (not a full border) to make it more "safe".

That just about covers it for the big problems. The squareness is nintendo-ey, so that's fine. I'd bug you about flower placement and whatnot, but I think you have enough to work on as is. Just remember that flowers go in clumps. And with that, I'm done. Good job!

Final rating: 7/10

One more, shall we?

This is my first submission!

Map shot:
    I know this map got a few.. "ratings".. but really you guys, it's his first submission. He deserves a bit more than just "too square". It's also not really a "nice layout", but hey, that's what this thread is for, eh? Let's see what we can cook up.

Shape. The entire map is two giant squares; one is the city, the other is the beach. Yes, as previously stated, it's too "square", but what exactly can you do to fix that? First, extend the forest. Add more trees to the sides of the town. That will give it more of a shape. Next, tweak the shape of the cliff that borders with the beach. Imagine erosion, if you will, wearing away at that wall. Add a little canyon here and there as if a stream cut through there, a little rocky outcropping here and there, and you already have a much better shape. Finally, bring the water's edge closer to the cliff, and mess around with the shape of the beach. All of this brings me to the next point.

Space. Man, the other raters didn't even touch on this subject. Squareness isn't even the biggest issue of this map. This map is empty and huge. There's too many wide open spaces in the town itself, and the beach is much too wide. Once you change the shape of the town and add more stuff, the space issue should be solved there (at the very least, you can put trees in whatever wide open spaces you have left over). However, the beach must be made smaller by at least 2 tiles' width, if not 3 or 4 in some places. Also, some paths in the city are just too wide. Most notably, the lower left and lower right patches of dirt take up too much space (I'll let the top left one slide since I see it acts as a sort of center for the town).

Detail Placement. One of the raters said the map is "too busy". On the contrary, it is ridiculously empty, and only feels busy because small, one-tile details such as rocks, bushes, and flowers were incorrectly used to make up for vast amounts of empty space. This shouldn't be a problem once you add more trees, but know that bushes and rocks cannot fill up space that way. When building a map, these "detail tiles" usually go last, after you have dealt with trees, mountains, paths, and other foundations.

-Optional-

Elevation Changes. The map is really flat, I'll admit. The ledge on the bottom left shouldn't be a substitute for the cliff tiles. I like the other idea of making the cave go "under the city", and that could be made even more interesting if you add another layer or two of cliffs near it. Likewise, the edges of the map could be more interesting with not just trees, but also some hills. The amount of elevation changes you put in your map should depend on the kind of topography you are trying to illustrate in this region of your world (if it is in a hack). If it is mountainous and rocky, then more elevation changes are good. If the land here has gentle slopes and no rough terrain, then don't add more than 2 or 3 different elevation layers in the map.

Seashore Details. Ocean rocks are always nice to add, since they fill up some space in that big blue patch of the map. They also help with borders, which you'd have trouble with if you tried connecting this map to anything else. Some large 2x2 rocks could also be added to the beach, to fill up space, and/or to the ocean. Other ideas to fill up beaches and oceans could include small islands, insertion of palm trees and small shrubs, and a simple downsizing of the map so you have as little ocean/beach space to fill up as possible.

I've written quite a bit here, so you should get an idea of what to do. The town layout itself isn't too bad. Not too square, variation of buildings, plenty of details thrown in, etc. With some more practice, I think you could easily manage to make very interesting maps. I hope my wall of text helped you more than it intimidated you. Walls of text tend to do that sometimes. Good luck!

Final rating: 3/10 ("brutal", as you said, but you know what to do ;p)

snap12

Years
  • @ Otter:

Wow, thanks man. I really appreciate you taking what looks like a large amount of time to give me some great suggestions. I know that it would be easy for a map of the month winner like your self too just ignore my failed attempt, but instead you've given me a lot to think about and that means a lot. I might save that post as a word document and keep it as a quick tutorial haha :)

snap12

Years
  • Here is my edited map that many of you graciously helped me with before. I know its not perfect yet but I think im starting to get a better understanding for mapping. There might be some glaring tile errors that I can see right now so just let me know :)

Longshore City 2! :
    Spoiler:

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    Here is my edited map that many of you graciously helped me with before. I know its not perfect yet but I think im starting to get a better understanding for mapping. There might be some glaring tile errors that I can see right now so just let me know :)

Longshore City 2! :
    Spoiler:
    Oh wow it's almost perfect, a major improvement, but there are still some errors.
    Spoiler:

The things circled in red are tiles errors and should be removed.
    the flowers circled in blue mean they are group together to much.
    all together I give you a 7/10
    if you have any question pm me.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • Map Name: Karian City
    Hack of: Pokémon FireRed
    Hack Name: Pokemon: At World's End
    More about this Map: If you need to know, the reason the Net Center and the Pokemon Center is in there is because the Net Center is the Global Terminal in the GBA versions. I may also post that map for a rating, if I feel like it. I really want feedback on what else should be added or taken from this map.

I think you should read Otter's two reviews on the previous page. ;) This map has WAAAY too much blank space. It's empty and huge. The player is likely to get tired walking from one end to the other. Also, your rocky outcroppings are too square. With all that blank space around them, what purpose are they meant to serve?

snap12

Years

• Oh wow it's almost perfect, a major improvement, but there are still some errors.

The things circled in red are tiles errors and should be removed.
    the flowers circled in blue mean they are group together to much.
    all together I give you a 7/10
    if you have any question pm me.

Okay thanks, I see your point.

Well hopefully this is the last time im posting this map, as too not spam the thread.

There are probably too many rocks in the water but im too lazy to change that now.

Map Shot:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Iii thought i should post mah map here.

Spoiler:

Comments: The palettes are not Wesley's! Anyway... i know time doesn't really matter but this took me 3 hours.
    Credits: Saurav, Kyledove, Nintendo, Deviation, Linkandzelda <3, Zeikku and myself.

EDIT1: OH and Alucus for the pond. ;D
    EDIT2: AND Alistair for the lil trees. ^^

bb

Last edited:

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    Testing out my new snow set

-------------------------------

Game: None (tileset in Sea of Dreams)
    Map Name: Leisure Path
    Credits: TB Pro, Alistair, Wesley FG, Kyledove, ScareX, Ozumas.

Map:
    Spoiler:

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    Okay thanks, I see your point.

Well hopefully this is the last time im posting this map, as too not spam the thread.

There are probably too many rocks in the water but im too lazy to change that now.

Map Shot:
    Spoiler:
    arg! the tile errors are still their! If I were you I would just remove those 2 lumps and swicth them out with normal tile errors.

Ven

Tyrian
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2011
    Game: None
    Map Name: Boredom Beach
    Credits: Nintendo

Map:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I got bored.

Last edited: