• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years
  • how is this map?

Spoiler:

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • This is the Map Rating Thread, for rating Maps. Not tiles. No matter how horrible the mappers eye for graphics is, you should never take away points for bad graphics. If you can't stand the graphics, don't rate the map, because you're bound to be biased.
    You're half right here, Pwofessow. While you shouldn't take out points for tiles (and palettes, actually), keep in mind that these maps are often going to be used in a hack, and so we should point out everything that just doesn't seem right.
    how is this map?

Spoiler:
    small and cute, but it has tile errors on the pond and on the left side of the house's roof.
    I suggest that you move the house more to the right, and maybe fill up some space that seems just dull to look at. Oh, and don't forget, it's rather weird to keep using the same grass tile...
    6.5/10

MASTEROFPUPPETS93

Liebe Ist Für Alle Da
    Years
  • MOP is doing some Maps *-*
    I'm sorry for being inactive, but i lost the pleasure at RH the last months...
    But now i'm back :D
    At the moment i'm helping haefele in his hack "The Mystery of Celebi" with mapping...
    And I won't do anything else... Everyone got real life. ;)

Map Name: -
    Map Game: Firered (GER)
    Hack: Pokemon: The Mystery of Celebi
    Credits: -

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

So rate... ;)

~MOP

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2015
    if i were you i would look to the left upper room
    and in the mid there are 2 oppenings but there is not really room to go in and walk
    it will give a really un natural feeling if the next room is too big

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
    Years
  • *sigh* things are really starting to annoy me, for one, people are rating on the tiles thar the person used, even though this is the MAP rating thread.
    Also there's nothing wrong with grass in clusters, they look really nice, and make the map a lot neater.

---------------
    With that said, I've been trying out a new style of trees.
    Spoiler:
    Thanks man, I know That person downrated my map because of the grass being normal.
    This is the Map Rating Thread, for rating Maps. Not tiles. No matter how horrible the mappers eye for graphics is, you should never take away points for bad graphics. If you can't stand the graphics, don't rate the map, because you're bound to be biased.

While I'm at it, your rating system doesn't help with telling the mapper how to improve, just tells them where they're bad. At least add a few comments about how to change things for the better.

EDIT: I just noticed something. Grass in clumps is bad? So what do you want, a checkerboard?

@Ven

I don't see anything particularly different apart from the blatant lack of tree shading.
    Thanks aswell, Please can someone re-rate the earlier map?

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2010
    Hey. Some of you may remember me for my previous two maps. (which got a total of about 20 10's from various people, and a lot of great criticism!)
    It's been about a year, and I decided to try mapping something again. For some odd reason, my A-Map refuses to do some commands, so I'm stuck with little-to no block editting, palette changes, and all that fun stuff. I do however, have a previous ROM of mine which had changes I made in the past, so I was lucky enough to have that to make my life a tad easier.
    Anyways, due to the fact that I do not have 15 posts yet, (last time I checked) please copy+paste into your address bar to view. I'd love criticism on it.

Map Name: Floating Islands
    Comments: Please judge by only what the player will see (7x7 blocks around) I am also aware I forgot tree shading. PLEASE DO NOT MARK ME DOWN ON THIS. =(
    Mapshot: i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq184/Stealth3218/FloatingIslands.png

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • Hey. Some of you may remember me for my previous two maps. (which got a total of about 20 10's from various people, and a lot of great criticism!)
    It's been about a year, and I decided to try mapping something again. For some odd reason, my A-Map refuses to do some commands, so I'm stuck with little-to no block editting, palette changes, and all that fun stuff. I do however, have a previous ROM of mine which had changes I made in the past, so I was lucky enough to have that to make my life a tad easier.
    Anyways, due to the fact that I do not have 15 posts yet, (last time I checked) please copy+paste into your address bar to view. I'd love criticism on it.

Comments: Please judge by only what the player will see (7x7 blocks around) I am also aware I forgot tree shading. PLEASE DO NOT MARK ME DOWN ON THIS. =(
    I say, it looks rather good as a map, not really much to show, but at least it has used up all the space needed, imo.

Now, just a note:
    That block on the southeast, is that supposed to have an item? because if it's not accessible it seems rather pointless...

Overall, 8.5/10. It didn't appeal much to me, well, if I were you I'd take more advantage from the space that you used up as water.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • Map Name: Cave of Beginnings?

Map Game: Fire Red

Comments: This is the starting map in my hack.

Mapshot: See attachment.
    So you begin from a cave?

Anyhow, it's pretty boring. There is much free space, the tiles are often repeated, and generally, too square. Needs alot of improvement. Good luck.

4/10.

Ven

Tyrian
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2011
    Hey. Some of you may remember me for my previous two maps. (which got a total of about 20 10's from various people, and a lot of great criticism!)

Nice to have you back Stealth, I saw one of your maps on the older pages of the thread, and I have to say, they were pretty good.
    Anyways, the grassplacement is nice, I'm also happy that your mountains aren't too random, and they aren't too linear, something that isn't too easy o master. Considering the players range of sight, emptyness isn't really a problem here, although the bottom right could use a fence or something.
    Oh and also, the rocks you have in the water, there's a block error on the bottom two tiles, your supposed to use the curved deep water blocks.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2010
    Oh and also, the rocks you have in the water, there's a block error on the bottom two tiles, your supposed to use the curved deep water blocks.
    Like I said. I have access to very little block edits due to A-Map not agreeing with me. That's the regular block from FR.

Overall, 8.5/10. It didn't appeal much to me, well, if I were you I'd take more advantage from the space that you used up as water.
    The entire route is supposed to have an L shape. I didnt want it turning into some giant square like most routes I see. Also, that one spot seems accessible to me. =\
    Appreciate the ratings.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • ohyeab.jpg

Here's my map it's only a draft oh well tell me what you think
    First of all, you're probably missing the appropriate credits. Like, who made the tiles.

Now, the map itself is somehow fine on the inside, while I personally don't recommend using rocks next to grass. Also, the fence on the left, why does it overlap in that way?
    Also, I guess that outside the fence there is zero playability, so if there is, you might as well add more trees to lessen the space that is currently shown as a road.

7/10 (reminds me of moo-moo farm).

the map is Ok but its Square o.o
    A fence or a farm that is man-made is 'supposed' to be square.

Otter

Reminiscing Every Now and Then
    Years
  • Had no rehearsal and less homework today, so I figured I should refresh my mapping a bit. Here goes, eh o;

Map Name: Waterfall Gorge - North

Map Game: FireRed

Credits: Nintendo, WesleyFG, Kyledove

Comments: Nothing really. I realize the waterfall is a bit funky, so no need to note that. There is no actual "south" connecting map for this, but this is just the northern entrance to the gorge. Added a few items and trainers for fun.

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2010
    Had no rehearsal and less homework today, so I figured I should refresh my mapping a bit. Here goes, eh o;

Map Name: Waterfall Gorge - North

Map Game: FireRed

Credits: Nintendo, WesleyFG, Kyledove

Comments: Nothing really. I realize the waterfall is a bit funky, so no need to note that. There is no actual "south" connecting map for this, but this is just the northern entrance to the gorge. Added a few items and trainers for fun.

Mapshot:
    This map is very eye appealing. It's not going to be fun to play through in an actual hack, which is what really matters when creating a map.
    It's far too easy to create a beautiful and natural map like the one you're showing us here, but the downside to this is that it usually suffers when you rate according to the balance of how natural a map is, and the playability.
    There are quite a few tile errors located in the shadowing of your mountains/cliffs, and you will have quite a few border errors going along the lower side of the map.
    Also, the mountains going directly over the water look funky to me. Try adding the water borders to make it flow a bit nicer.
    It's a decent map, but if you focus more on the playability, it'd be much better.
    4/10

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Hey. Some of you may remember me for my previous two maps. (which got a total of about 20 10's from various people, and a lot of great criticism!)

Wow. I really like the concept behind this map! I, myself, have used bridges to connect small "floating islands" in a river map once (it's somewhere in this thread) but the idea of connecting islands over an ocean is something I can honestly say I've never seen before. It's not every day I see a brand new concept in this thread. In fact, it seems like it's always the same map over and over again.

Anyways, the execution (i.e. the actually mapping) doesn't live up to the concept but it's pretty good, I must admit. However, I noticed that you switch between the two major schools of thought in the mapping world, which, in case you haven't picked up on the trends yet, are natural mapping and Nintendo mapping. Your flowers and bushes are clumped together and your tall grass is organized into isolated groups which indicates the Nintendo style. On the other hand, your mountain shape, path shape, and (arguably) tree placement, along with the occasional naturally/randomly placed rock or flower, reflect more of a natural feel. The two styles can be used in tandem but it's very hard to pull off.

Okay, I'm just rambling now so I'll get down to what you can improve on:
    • You can get rid of these tiles and just replace them with the straight "whatever you call that thin, rock bar" tile
    • This is just a personal preference and I flip-flop with it all the time but in the above picture, the "rock bar" tile that you used on the far right looks better when you X-flip its opposite tile. I know that 1) you have limited block editing capabilities and 2) that's an awful explanation but it's definitely something to consider
    • I think your paths are too squiggly
    • I don't like what you've done with the rock tile that outlines the islands. Again, I understand that you can't block edit but what you've done just looks weird in my mind. Maybe you could outline the islands with the thin beach tile? I've always liked the way that it looks and I think it would compliment this map in particular very well
    • Personally, I don't like it when two stair tiles are used directly above/below each other
    • The map just feels a little cramped in some spots. The playability is fine but I feel that you could have expanded into all that unused ocean space a little more
    • No tree shading? :(
    To end on a happier note, I'll list a couple positive things you did. :)

• I like the way that you used the dirt path up in the northern section of the map. "Dribbling" paths over mountains has always been a favorite mapping technique of mine and I can see that you have implemented it very well for a novice (and I saw what you did with that rock to left of the northern bridge ;) )
    • You remembered to put shadows under the bridges! Not only that, but you put it in exactly the right spot in relation to the bridge. It looks like you've been doing your research :)
    • You actually put some thought into how you used the ledge, something a lot of people overlook

The positives list is, surprisingly, shorter than the negatives list but that doesn't mean it's a bad map. In fact, seeing your map was a refreshing break from what I consider to be a long series of less-than-pleasing maps. As I previously mentioned, the concept of the map (i.e. the layout and idea behind it) is phenomenal and, if you don't mind, I think I'm going to go make a map of the same style. Thanks for giving me that spark to get me back into mapping again. It's been too long since I last posted here.

So yeah, good job. Keep it up :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back