• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillPowerPedro

https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson
Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 9, 2022
    Map Name: None as always.

Map Game: Emerald as always.

Comments: I actually am trying to capture a very specific emotion, that I felt quite often when I was younger, with this map. You know when you've just been through a big dungeon, and you finally find a little relief in a game, whether it be a town or just resting spot, you don't actually want to keep going, or at least that's the way it is for me. I've never liked the fighting/dungeons in most games, so I always used to just want to stay in a town between caves/dungeons, wishing there was more to do there etc. In this map you come in through the top right cave, and come out to half of the city, before being forced to go through the other cave, to reach the rest of it.

This is my first city map ever, and I wanted to do something new/interesting, and combine it with a route/the mountains. Unfortunately, that made the actual city part more or less impossible. So, I really don't know if that part came out ok or not. I didn't bother doing anything with the water since you only see a very tiny bit of it... and I'd already spent 2 weeks or so on this map. It's also my biggest map to date.

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

9 and a half/10

Great! Awesome! Everything is nice, but it could be a little bit smaller. The trees are bunched together so tight. Other than that, Congrats, you made a wonderful map.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • Map Name: None as always.

Comments: I actually am trying to capture a very specific emotion, that I felt quite often when I was younger, with this map. You know when you've just been through a big dungeon, and you finally find a little relief in a game, whether it be a town or just resting spot, you don't actually want to keep going, or at least that's the way it is for me. I've never liked the fighting/dungeons in most games, so I always used to just want to stay in a town between caves/dungeons, wishing there was more to do there etc. In this map you come in through the top right cave, and come out to half of the city, before being forced to go through the other cave, to reach the rest of it.

This is my first city map ever, and I wanted to do something new/interesting, and combine it with a route/the mountains. Unfortunately, that made the actual city part more or less impossible. So, I really don't know if that part came out ok or not. I didn't bother doing anything with the water since you only see a very tiny bit of it... and I'd already spent 2 weeks or so on this map. It's also my biggest map to date.

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

i'm going to be honest with you here, this is one of the best maps ive seen in this thread, bar maybe sasquatchd00d and colcolstyles. and maybe my own

lalo0101

Thanks Mulczhar for Avatar:D
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2013
    Map Name: Cherrydale town

Map Game: Firered

Comments: well this is the starting town in my current hack
    and credits to Nintendo and zein for tiles

Map Rating/Review Thread

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Map Name: None as always.

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

As usual, your maps are absolutely beautiful. You should still try to do something with the water for the bits that you can see, because it'll still be very bland there. There's a particularly large patch you can see from the edge of the route area and south of the city.

Also, the brown-rock splodges of mountain look a bit out of place among your myriad of trees, so I suggest changing that? Apart from the two things I've said, the map looks epic. (b'-')b

hack1

Dragon Green
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2015
    Map name: Freezenite City
    Map game: Fire Red
    Comments: Second City for my hack Pokemon Dragon Green. Doesn't use any custom tiles.

Spoiler:

Chaos190

Likes to Hack Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2016
    Map name: Freezenite City
    Map game: Fire Red
    Comments: Second City for my hack Pokemon Dragon Green. Doesn't use any custom tiles.

Spoiler:
    Nice job with the houses.
    Add more flowers and your map has border problems. From coming in. The Mountain really needs more shape because it's going in a straight line and that's no good at all.
    6/10

simdu68

asleep all summer zzZZ
    Years
  • Nice job with the houses.
    Add more flowers and your map has border problems. From coming in. The Mountain really needs more shape because it's going in a straight line and that's no good at all.
    6/10

are you joking??? there are toooooo many houses!!
    @ hack1: a map should never have so many houses, I bet you even haven't got a inside for every house....;and it look very bad, just doesn't fit with pokémon a town with many houses, in pokemon games there should not be more than 5-8 houses (8 only for really very big towns), and houses without doors is also bad in my opinion, they are just useless and do the map look boring --'
    and overall you map is just too big....
    then you also have border errors, and you map is completely square, the trees and mountain shapes is bad, you should never make them straight....and the pond is also.....out of place, I bet you wanted to make like a park with a pond or something so, anyway the idea is not bad but how you did it is wrong, if really you want to make a park either you make a really small park in the middle of the town or for a big park it should be completely away from the town......
    well, can't really explain what I'm thinking about I could only show by doing myself such map but I'm too lazy^^
    hope you still understand what I mean :S

I don't want to give a rating number coz with all negative points you surely know how low it would be :/

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years

• are you joking??? there are toooooo many houses!!
    @ hack1: a map should never have so many houses, I bet you even haven't got a inside for every house....;and it look very bad, just doesn't fit with pokémon a town with many houses, in pokemon games there should not be more than 5-8 houses (8 only for really very big towns), and houses without doors is also bad in my opinion, they are just useless and do the map look boring --'
    and overall you map is just too big....
    then you also have border errors, and you map is completely square, the trees and mountain shapes is bad, you should never make them straight....and the pond is also.....out of place, I bet you wanted to make like a park with a pond or something so, anyway the idea is not bad but how you did it is wrong, if really you want to make a park either you make a really small park in the middle of the town or for a big park it should be completely away from the town......
    well, can't really explain what I'm thinking about I could only show by doing myself such map but I'm too lazy^^
    hope you still understand what I mean :S

I don't want to give a rating number coz with all negative points you surely know how low it would be :/

Id like to have seen his face when he walked into a doorway for nothing to happen :D..

But in all seriousness, there are NO houses in the world that have the shape some of yours have... Take the bottom left most house. what is that?

I think you need to practise a lot more or invest in a mapper if you want your hack to come to fruition...

Jonny Buuz

La di da di do di da di dum...
    Years
  • Map Name: Route 1001

Rom: Pokémon Fire Red

Comments: Well, I've been lurking PC for a long time. Guess I'll try my hand at a hack. First route. And I do prefer the original FR tiles to custom tilesets.

Spoiler:

Flandre Scarlet

Free your mind.
    Years
  • Map Name: Route 1001

Rom: Pokémon Fire Red

Comments: Well, I've been lurking PC for a long time. Guess I'll try my hand at a hack. First route. And I do prefer the original FR tiles to custom tilesets.

Spoiler:

lurk moar

Ahem..
    It has a lovely shape, but its a bit long for the first route, don't you think? xD; grass and Tree placement is wonderful, I like how you made the sand paths.

Overall, I rate it 9.5/10, it's a great map, keep up the good job.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
  • Jonny Buuz said:

The path in this map is completely overwhelming - It dominates everything and to me is, to be quite frank, an eyesore and a liability. Try putting the ground in smaller clumps rather than a long wavy line as that would help make it look more 'natural' which is what you apper to be waning in your map. Also, because of the path, the player gets to skip almost all of the grass in the route going up (And none when going down :O), making it no challenge unless you have trainers on it. I can also see some tree shadowing errors, so you'd better get that checked out.

I do like the waviness and basic idea of the map, so there is a plus side :D

Overall, it could be done a bit better and have difficulty increased, but its ideas are solid and is good for a first-time mapper. 7/10.

------- (-o-) -------​

My turn pl0x :3

Map Name: Route One
    Map Game: Fire Red
    Tiles: [TB Pro], Fused, Alistair
    Comments: I've been modernising some of my older maps, and I'd like to get some feed back on this one. Yes, the mountains are suppossed to be white.

Spoiler:

Sorry about the .JPEG D:

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
    Years
  • The path in this map is completely overwhelming - It dominates everything and to me is, to be quite frank, an eyesore and a liability. Try putting the ground in smaller clumps rather than a long wavy line as that would help make it look more 'natural' which is what you apper to be waning in your map. Also, because of the path, the player gets to skip almost all of the grass in the route going up (And none when going down :O), making it no challenge unless you have trainers on it. I can also see some tree shadowing errors, so you'd better get that checked out.

Overall, it could be done a bit better and have difficulty increased, but its ideas are solid and is good for a first-time mapper. 7/10.

------- (-o-) -------​

Comments: I've been modernising some of my older maps, and I'd like to get some feed back on this one. Yes, the mountains are suppossed to be white.

Spoiler:

Sorry about the .JPEG D:

I love the map shape and size, everything blend well. Great flower placement and grass placement.
    Love the challenging look
    map 10\10

some one rate my map?
    name :ChopleVine Town
    Hack Pokemon Starlight
    Starter town
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Credit: Wesly fg tile
    and gamefrak for Pokemon emerald flower

Chaos190

Likes to Hack Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2016
    The path in this map is completely overwhelming - It dominates everything and to me is, to be quite frank, an eyesore and a liability. Try putting the ground in smaller clumps rather than a long wavy line as that would help make it look more 'natural' which is what you apper to be waning in your map. Also, because of the path, the player gets to skip almost all of the grass in the route going up (And none when going down :O), making it no challenge unless you have trainers on it. I can also see some tree shadowing errors, so you'd better get that checked out.

------- (-o-) -------​

Spoiler:

Sorry about the .JPEG D:
    First off add rocks to the mountains and give it more shape. Hey can you send me that rombase it looks awesome :D
    Basicly I can't see any errors in this map but still add more rocks to mountains and give it more shape.
    8/10

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2021
    Map Name: Route 104 (Pokémon Festa 2002 demo version reconstruction)

Map Game: Pokémon Ruby AXVE

Comments: So, while I'm waiting on my topic to be approved, I thought I'd give you guys a little preview of my hack. My idea was to recreate the Pokémon Festa 2002 Demo. This map isn't complete as I haven't found any more references (movies/pics of the demo) yet. Everything else that's featured in the YouTube video of the demo works in my hack (plus the other script events/trainers on the upper portion of Route 104.

Other sources/references:
    https://ysys310.hp.infoseek.co.jp/event/festa4-2.jpg
    https://web.archive.org/web/20020809092324/pc.pokemon-gba.com/0-6.gif
    https://web.archive.org/web/20020809093625/pc.pokemon-gba.com/0-8.gif

Another amazing thing is that Nintendo translated the text from the demo & it's included in the English version of Ruby. Enough babbling, here's a preview of my prototype Route 104 reconstruction. (Probably will need to resize the map at some point, too much extra space on the bottom)

Mapshot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • not being funny but:

1: it doesn't look like you did anything more than add a couple of ledges and take out most of the map, and change the people round

2: I tried doing that in a hack, it got ignored, just so you know....

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    My second attempt at a 'town' map. Please point out any tile errors or any improvements you think is suitable/better for this map.

Spoiler:

Chad -

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • I dont think you've got the space right..

You have too much space where you dont necessarily need it, and 1 space pathways where there should really be 2 or 3.

if you change those things, then it'll also look quite a lot better.

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    rom base: pokemon ruby
    Hack name: Pokemon Canary (bahmanz's hack)
    Map name: none yet (starting city)
    Spoiler:

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
    Years
  • I love the map shape and size, everything blend well. Great flower placement and grass placement.
    Love the challenging look
    map 10\10

some one rate my map?
    name :ChopleVine Town
    Hack Pokemon Starlight
    Starter town
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Credit: Wesly fg tile
    and gamefrak for Pokemon emerald flower

Bumping my map can someone rate?

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    ^only thing i don't like is the flower by the lab, other than that nothing. 4/5

i still need mine rated.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back