• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating Thread

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2013
    Ok this is actually 2 maps together. The home town and the first route out of the town

WARNING LARGE IMAGE

LINK

Tile credit to kyle pokemondiamond alistair and my self

Love it, my only concern is that the tiles for the planks over the cave and the big glass building don't seem to fit in.
    9.5/10

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
    Years
  • Ok this is actually 2 maps together. The home town and the first route out of the town

WARNING LARGE IMAGE

LINK

Tile credit to kyle pokemondiamond alistair and my self
    i give it a 10/10 goods tiles and tree placement

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Love it, my only concern is that the tiles for the planks over the cave and the big glass building don't seem to fit in.
    9.5/10

Well the large building is the lab as this is the starting town, also the planks will have storyline significance so thats why they are there.

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2013
    I mean that the tiles don't seem to fit in with the color and style scheme.

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    I mean that the tiles don't seem to fit in with the color and style scheme.

Its not meant to I wanted the lab to stand out over everything else in the town

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    I think i know what he means, and it botheres me a little as well. It's that you have nearly the entire outline of the Lab in black. It looks very unnatural and very unprofessional, although that is just my opinion.

Dude it's not though, the outer edge is to enhpersise the edge the inner edges are grey on the white areas, and blue on the blue areas. It may be cus the building is white,which makes it hard to add different line shades to it.

Years
  • Well, I've been thinking of picking up a game I was working on about 2 years ago (except in RPG Maker XP this time). Here is a map I have been working on, mainly used to demonstrate the style (though it will be used in game, if I pick it up again). And yes, the graphics are vanilla RPG Maker XP. They are supposed to be that way.

WARNING! Large Image:
    Spoiler:

NOT MEANT TO BE A POKÉMON MAP.

Last edited:

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • Well, I've been thinking of picking up a game I was working on about 2 years ago (except in RPG Maker XP this time). Here is a map I have been working on, mainly used to demonstrate the style (though it will be used in game, if I pick it up again). And yes, the graphics are vanilla RPG Maker XP. They are supposed to be that way.

WARNING! Large Image:
    Spoiler:
    I don't like it, I don't like it at all. It just isn't Pokemon, it doesn't have that feel. And as well as that it is just the tiles from rpg maker, not very creative to just use those I don't think. Unless of course you are going to change it to Pokemon tiles, as then it would be great.

@klofkac: Really good, I certainly wouldn't think it was your first map if you hadn't said it yourself. Nice use of tiles and it doesn't look square or anything. Great job!

Years
  • Perhaps I should have mentioned this in my post: it's not meant for a Pokémon fangame. It was/is for an original game I was/am making.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • Perhaps I should have mentioned this in my post: it's not meant for a Pokémon fangame. It was/is for an original game I was/am making.
    My mistake, I shouldn't have just asumed it was for a Pokemon game. Anyway, for just a normal game it looks really good.

The Smell

Doof-Man
    Years
  • Here's my newest map! I can slowly feel my skills improving. :)

Oh, I should include that this is the starting map! The hook at the end of it is the starting point. In this game you will play as a Pokémon, so I needed a forest. :P

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • This is the map for a Pokemon fan game I'm working on... Bet that's a new one for you! It's the size of an R/S/E map, so I've put it behind a spoiler.

Spoiler:

If you're wondering about all of those ledges, that area is a BMX-esque course. I know nothing about stunt biking, but I have a reason for including it. The city you start in is to the north, and you get your first Pokemon at Crawford Academy, the large building south of the course. To keep you from going into the tall grass, a pushy salesman forces you into the course (you get a bike in the city to the north), and something that I haven't determined quite yet keeps you from going over there after leaving it. When I put this together (it's a pastiche of screenshots) I had the trees set in their frame one pixel lower than they should have been, and have since fixed it... Though you probably can't even see a one pixel discrepancy.

Oh, and the white things in the grass spray out Repel. It's my way of explaining weak Pokemon on the first route, while Pokemon on a route connected to it (accessible after the third gym) are much stronger. It's to protect kids that go to school in the area... I tend to put too much thought into simple things.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • I agree with you about all of the open space, it's been bothering me too... but I don't really know what to do about it. This needs to be the tallest map in the game, as it stretches almost all the way across the island it's on; there are only two other vertical routes in the area, and they're basically stacked on top of each other. After visiting the academy you leave to the south, and the only other time you'll need to use this route is to go between the two paths to the north. Still, that IS a lot of screens full of nothing of interest, especially in the south.

Since I'm using the FR/LG tileset, I want to emulate their style as much as possible. As you can see here, my paths and tree structure are modeled after those used in the game, though I compromised and went with less squareness in the trees. What do you mean by "tree shading"? If you mean using smaller trees to kind of... anti-alias, well, I won't be doing that. It's ugly, and whoever came up with it should feel ashamed. While I agree that the cement path would look great (why didn't I think of that?), it needs to be a single continuous path from the academy to the town in the south, and even around the big cities in FR/LG it's always a dirt path leading into the little buildings that separate areas.
    edit: I just realized, I took out the building on the path to the south... never mind that last point!

I probably will add rocks to the lake, I wasn't really focusing on that area. The pond isn't actually a pond, it was carved out of the ground. It's a staircase leading to an underground room, which has filled with rainwater; you need the HM Drain to access it.

How are the ledges hindering the map? Sure, that area takes up a lot of space, but I don't see how the ledges themselves are a problem. As for the vegetation... Yeah, okay, trees and flowers are good. I tried putting more blank spots in the grass in a previous map, but didn't like how it looked.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Rating: 7/10

It's quite a nice map, but I'm a picky person...

The trees are nice and constant, but there isn't really any variety, minus for a few dead trees. I know RMXP has a limited tileset for what you can do with this, but my advice would be to add a few more dead trees

With the water, it would be an idea to add something to fill up that empty space. Like rocks, or bits of land.

And my final nit pick... Add some more flowers, stumps, and or rocks. You have a few, but it really does help fill up the empty space.

While I do agree that the map looks barren now, you also have to take into effect that monsters are overworld characters in this game, not just random encounters. In-game, the map would be filled with monster life, as well as a person or two. Perhaps I should have mentioned that...

Of course, though, I really appreciate the crit and I'll try to make the map better. The only thing I don't really agree with, though, is the comment on tree stumps. Instead of being a single-tile object like everyone would think it is, it is a two-tile object. This, of course, limits its use. About the flower thing, I didn't really want to overdo it, but it seems that I did the opposite. That will most definitely get fixed. The same thing goes for the trees.

At the moment, to hopefully fix the tileset issue and add a variety of tiles, I'm combining a mega-tileset with all the default RMXP tiles. You also have to remember I'm going with the theme that this is supposed to be a vanilla RPG Maker game (no custom content).

But really, thanks for the rating. I'm shooting for a perfect 10.

The Smell

Doof-Man
    Years
  • Here's another map of mine. It's a longer forest map, and I'd like some ratings of it. :)

I haven't added any flowers or anything, only grass. :P

Thanks guys!

Map Name: Loti Forest

Map Editor: RPG Maker XP

Comments: A long, windy forest.

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2013
    Here's another map of mine. It's a longer forest map, and I'd like some ratings of it. :)

I haven't added any flowers or anything, only grass. :P

Thanks guys!

Map Name: Loti Forest

Map Editor: RPG Maker XP

Comments: A long, windy forest.

8/10

It is a little bland and repetative, I recommend adding other trees into the map.

Back