• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating Thread

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    I see so much great mappers here, so, anyone wana be the mapper for my game?
    (I'm using D/P/P Tiles and I'll send them to you.)

If you want to recruit people, please do so in the Team Recruitment thread found

HERE

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2013

Puddle town:
    5/10
    A few tile errors,
    kind of bland,
    Overused tiles.
    Extend the borders,
    Mae different sized puddles,
    Lots of open space,
    Mix up the grass tiles.

Route 1:
    6/10
    Overused tiles,
    kind of bland,
    too symmetrical,
    mix up grass tiles,
    Extend borders.

Network City:
    7/10
    overused tiles,
    Kind of bland,
    To small for a city,
    Extend top border,

Route 2:
    7/10
    Overused tiles,
    Tile errors,
    Too uniform,
    Mix up grass tiles,
    Make water less square.

Forbidden Forest:
    5/10
    Add trees to make it look like a forest,
    Take a better screenshot,
    Change up grass tiles,
    Overused tiles.

With a little work you could be a great mapper.
    You just need some practice.

Shikamaru88

Back dont know if I will stay.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    thx for the advice and comments I also thought too much was going on but when i took stuff out it seemed empty these were just done outta boredom I didnt put much effort but i always love imput on the things I make and your comments are fair... thanks alot

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • Kindle Wood town, made on rpg maker xp. At the top it isn't just a moutain, it's a volcano! At the right is a dangerous route and at the bottom KindleWood, which the town is named after.
    Spoiler:

Tiles thanks to Dew, Alucus, Alistair and Kyledove.

Comments?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2013
    Kindle Wood town, made on rpg maker xp. At the top it isn't just a moutain, it's a volcano! At the right is a dangerous route and at the bottom KindleWood, which the town is named after.
    Spoiler:

Comments?

9.5/10
    The map is great looking.
    The only problems that I have are of the tiles.
    The bushes, lampposts, and benches don't have any shadows.
    The darker/brown tiles in the top need more shades.

Al the other custom tiles are excellent.

Wind Gale

Lost With the Wind
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen May 19, 2014
    Kindle Wood town, made on rpg maker xp. At the top it isn't just a moutain, it's a volcano! At the right is a dangerous route and at the bottom KindleWood, which the town is named after.
    Spoiler:

Comments?
    I would give it a 9.9/10
    The map looks great. The only thing is that the cable cart building [I think that is what it was called] looks kind of strange blending into the trees. It could use something like a little border line there. Other than that excellent work. I like the shape of the town. It is not too square. The tilesets are also excellent.

Merovin

Dragon Master!
    Years

• I've been working on a small project for a while now, and I figured it's about time I got some feedback on a couple of maps.
    So here they are;

Route 01

Spoiler:

Route 05

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2011
    Map Name: Oran City
    Map Editor: RpgMakerXP
    Comments: It's first city you go to after leaving your hometown. Looking for good critique that will help me make this map look much better.

Map Rating Thread

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • This is the starting town for my game:
    Map Rating Thread

The bottom looks a little empty and I'm wondering what to put there, any suggestions?

Tile credit to:
    Alucus
    Kyledove
    Alistair

And if you're wondering, Avatar gave me permission to revive this.

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2013
    9/10
    looks a little too similar to pallet for my likeing.

Great to see the thread alive.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • 9/10
    looks a little too similar to pallet for my likeing.

Great to see the thread alive.

I like it, and I love those tiles. I no doubt think pallet may have been his inspiration behind the map. But I think it looks awesome.

Who's tiles are those, anyway I can get them, or atleast can u tell me who made them so I can ask the orginal artist?

Here is a few maps I've made/Updated

Narfa Town(was a city)
    Spoiler:

Moovea(Features a Ranch)
    Spoiler:

These are concepts, not the final version narfa is closer to completion then moovea but I still feel like both can use improvements

Also i'm aware of the errors in narfa, I fixed them just didnt update photo.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • Thanks Ty 101 and KingCharizard for the comments :) Beleive it or not, but I didn't get inspiration from littleroot, maybe it was sub consious ;)
    The tiles are a mix of Kyledove's, Alucus of borg's and Alistair's, but they're all edited by me so you'll have to get them directly from the threads.

@First map: Quite a few errors, bit blurred (although that's probably just photobucket, for large images like this always use image shack) and pretty bland. Try using different tiles, or at least raise the saturation to make it more interesting, which is I guess why you were asking who's mine were. The base design is fine, it just needs a lot of polishing.
    @Second map: Better than the other, still needs polishing though and since there is a Pokecentre maybe add another house? Or, to make it unique, add a house that acts as a Pokecentre if you want to keep it smal.

KingCharizard

Years
  • Ok here is a sample map I made not being used in any projects, just wanted to get peoples thoughts on the tiles.
    Spoiler:

The tiles were made by Wesley FG, I think imma gonna use them but I want to know what people think of them when used to create a map.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • You should connect the ground paths on the left there, rather then break them up.
    Also, the map itself is a bit too small. Makes no sense for someone to build a PC and mart out in the middle of nowhere. There would need to be people around to have a market *I don't mean the mart, but in general lol).

Maybe add another 30-40 tlles onto the height and add a few buildings.
    I think it will flesh it out a bit.
    Post it if you do chance it.

KingCharizard

Years
  • You should connect the ground paths on the left there, rather then break them up.
    Also, the map itself is a bit too small. Makes no sense for someone to build a PC and mart out in the middle of nowhere. There would need to be people around to have a market *I don't mean the mart, but in general lol).

Maybe add another 30-40 tlles onto the height and add a few buildings.
    I think it will flesh it out a bit.
    Post it if you do chance it.

lol I know, but maybe nurse joy needs a mart lol :) It was just a sample map, i'll remake the whole thing and repost it.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Ok here is a sample map I made not being used in any projects, just wanted to get peoples thoughts on the tiles.
    Spoiler:

The tiles were made by Wesley FG, I think imma gonna use them but I want to know what people think of them when used to create a map.

I do like the general idea, though I think that the map is far too cramped, maybe double the size of the map, and break it up with some trees to make it flow a little more naturally. And I agree that it wouldn't make sense for there to be a Center and Mart in that sort of area, perhaps there could be a small camp with a 'rest house' and a trader, to make it a little more realistic?

KingCharizard

Years
  • What about this? My mapping skills aren't all that great, plus im not done editing the tiles but this is what I can create with what I have

TowerTown1
    Spoiler:

TowerTown2
    Spoiler:

Im trying to create a tropic feel, For a tropical world...

here is a couple in game screens
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • Here is a slight outdated version of North Odale Grove. Not much has changed except for minor detail tiles, such as rough short grass tiles and such. But let me know what you think :).

Odale Grove is a small town at the base of Mt. Kej. It is home to our hero, and the regions Pokemon Professor, Linden. Odale Grove has experienced a constant rain storm for the last year and a half and it has been nonstop. Odale Grove is a community inhabited by older folk who live quietly.

Spoiler:

Back