• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating Thread

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
  • Here is a slight outdated version of North Odale Grove. Not much has changed except for minor detail tiles, such as rough short grass tiles and such. But let me know what you think :).​

Odale Grove is a small town at the base of Mt. Kej. It is home to our hero, and the regions Pokemon Professor, Linden. Odale Grove has experienced a constant rain storm for the last year and a half and it has been nonstop. Odale Grove is a community inhabited by older folk who live quietly.​

Spoiler:

I need to learn to map like this, all my maps are somwhat square and not as lively & creative as this map is. I like it its a very unique town to begin in.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • I need to learn to map like this, all my maps are somwhat square and not as lively & creative as this map is. I like it its a very unique town to begin in.

You are on the right track, I would say that you just need to work in more trees around your buildings, try to give it a more natural, non symetrical look.

There are always 'dead spaces' on maps, where the player won't really walk, that is where you want to fill it in with single trees, since the player most likely will not be walking there, it is a prime spot for filler tiles such as trees, rocks, tall grass and such.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • Here is a slight outdated version of North Odale Grove. Not much has changed except for minor detail tiles, such as rough short grass tiles and such. But let me know what you think :).

Odale Grove is a small town at the base of Mt. Kej. It is home to our hero, and the regions Pokemon Professor, Linden. Odale Grove has experienced a constant rain storm for the last year and a half and it has been nonstop. Odale Grove is a community inhabited by older folk who live quietly.

Spoiler:

Over all design is great, makes the player explore a little, which is always good. The tiles are great, I can see a few of Kyledoves in there but what are the others?

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • What about this? My mapping skills aren't all that great, plus im not done editing the tiles but this is what I can create with what I have

This is a good way to learn. Post your map, get opinions and come back to us with work that you had done after taking those opinions on board.
    Now that map is looking more pokemon-ish. There are a few mistakes like the path having a weird graphic error as it bends into the tower, but overall, the map has improved from before.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2014
    Hey KingCharizard,

just wanna say something about your Tiles:

What about this? My mapping skills aren't all that great, plus im not done editing the tiles but this is what I can create with what I have

TowerTown1
    Spoiler:

TowerTown2
    Spoiler:

The road-tile just in front of the cave looks strange. It should have borders on the left and on the right.

Ok here is a sample map I made not being used in any projects, just wanted to get peoples thoughts on the tiles.
    Spoiler:

The tiles were made by Wesley FG, I think imma gonna use them but I want to know what people think of them when used to create a map.

If you look at the top of the cave, you can see some green pixel. You should make it transparent.
    Also there is a mistake at the ground tile, just left of the cave (one corner of the "road" has no border.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • thanks guys for the advice, i'd say im learning fast... I like these new tiles, but for my current game i think imma scrap these maps because i like kyledoves shinnoh tiles... And your right about the deadspaces never thought about trying that, but i see thats what you've done...

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • An update of a map I posted on here a few months ago:
    Spoiler:

Getting the transpharency in the flood right took absolutely ages. Comments?

Gigatom~

Pokemon Ruthenium Creator ~
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2012
    An update of a map I posted on here a few months ago:
    Spoiler:

Getting the transpharency in the flood right took absolutely ages. Comments?

Good map, 7/10, The only thing that are don't like is that you put to many flowers in it and the blue trees don't look good.

Gigatom~

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    LOL your a flash coder???... then u tweened these effects right?

lol no tweening is evil :p I never tween unless theres no other way to do something, I use frame by frame where ever I can.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    In the first the water near the cliff seems unnatural :/

thelaytonmobile

Beginning Reading Your Message
    Years
  • No one seems to post here that much...:(
    Oh well. So, I just started with mapping, this is map no.1! It was sorta planned (ie a rough sketch).
    The hardest thing to do was the trees. I know I still don't have them right at all. Next time I will choose tiles that are easier to use.:D
    Spoiler:

Credits to Alucus of Borg for the tiles!
    Oh it seems some of the bottom of the picture has been cut off. It looks like there is a way out of the map, but actually you can't get out that way.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • Good map, a lot more interesting than most starting towns. I like the patch of ground at the top right, it is for another house, right? You should maybe change the colour of the house roofs a little just so it's not so obviously from Pallet. The shadow are a little too dark and not transparent. 85/100

thelaytonmobile

Years
  • Good map, a lot more interesting than most starting towns. I like the patch of ground at the top right, it is for another house, right? You should maybe change the colour of the house roofs a little just so it's not so obviously from Pallet. The shadow are a little too dark and not transparent. 85/100
    The ground is actually for a sort of market stall style thing, and a truck.
    I'm gonna change the tiles or something, and I'll edit the shadows to translucent then.
    Actually, the lab is not supposed to be a lab but a sort of community centre, and I will be changing that soon. Thanks for rating it so well, I'm pretty pleased with that rating.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • The ground is actually for a sort of market stall style thing, and a truck.
    I'm gonna change the tiles or something, and I'll edit the shadows to translucent then.
    Actually, the lab is not supposed to be a lab but a sort of community centre, and I will be changing that soon. Thanks for rating it so well, I'm pretty pleased with that rating.
    Very cool idea to have a market, in real life small villages always have a small market. This is something I'd never though of and if you hadn't thought of it first I would definetly do that. For the new tiles, how about using these: https://alucus.deviantart.com/art/Project-H-Littleroot-exact-155512711
    I don't know if these'll match your style, but they're the second best I've seen before.

thelaytonmobile

Years
  • Very cool idea to have a market, in real life small villages always have a small market. This is something I'd never though of and if you hadn't thought of it first I would definetly do that. For the new tiles, how about using these: https://alucus.deviantart.com/art/Project-H-Littleroot-exact-155512711
    I don't know if these'll match your style, but they're the second best I've seen before.
    Oh come on, you can still do a market if you like. Besides, it's less a market, more a Pokemon giveaway stall. Thanks for pointing out the tiles, I will definitely use them if I can find some trees that fit with them.

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
    Years
  • Here's an eventless (including the Cherrygrove flowers, people, and doors) map of the starting town in my game, Pokemon Jade. It's near the tip of a peninsula overlooking a large bay to the south. Any comments?

Spoiler:

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • Here's an eventless (including the Cherrygrove flowers, people, and doors) map of the starting town in my game, Pokemon Jade. It's near the tip of a peninsula overlooking a large bay to the south. Any comments?

Spoiler:

8/10

Really quite a good map. The only things I'd complain about is the overuse of fences and the amount of dirt. Since you're clearly trying to make the town seem green, vibrant and fertile (with the flowers and the little park), the excessive dirt paths seems a little contradictory. Perhaps replace them with greener paths?

I also really like the tiles, especially the trees and cliff edges. Did you make them yourself?

Back