• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating Thread

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years
  • This is the starting town for my upcoming game, Pokemon Plutonium. It is named WindSwept Village

Map Rating Thread

Please comment and leave feedback. Thanks. :)

I like the idea, but I think it needs to be worked out a bit more. Would an island really be that square? And the little mountain on the left, would a mountain really be that square? Try to make the mountain lines a bit more random, it gives the map variety and believe me, it brings your maps more alive. This same thing goes for the water, sand and grass parts of the map, make them less square and more random, you'll have a much more realistic and vivid map making it much more fun to walk through in-game.

Your flower placement and choice is done wonderfully and you should keep it that way. However your map is kind of bare, try to fill it up with more trees, and maybe use smaller trees to fill it up as well. As of now, the idea of the map is great, but it needs a bit more work.

Rating: 6/10

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • This is the starter town of my game "Pokemon Carnaval". It's called Validay Town.
    tiles by Kyledove.

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
    Years
  • OK. Guys, thought I would show my revamp of TwinLeaf Town.
    It is based 10 years after the D/P/Pt events.
    Map Rating Thread
    Added as an attachment due to the image link not working in my posts properly.
    Map Rating Thread

Zadow

Pokemon Ebony Developer
    Years
  • @carmaniac
    Rated Map :
    OK. Guys, thought I would show my revamp of TwinLeaf Town.
    It is based 10 years after the D/P/Pt events.
    Wow, this is a really nice map. :)
    Rating : I overall would give it a 9 out of 10.
    Reason for rating + Suggestions : I like the way you kept a feeling of symmetry without making it completely symmetrical and boring. I do have a tiny problem with it though, 2 things, two parts of it look a little bit empty, at the signpost, and down the bottom, I'm not really sure how it looks in-game or anything but it looks a little bit empty from here. And, the second thing, I'm not loving the idea of one tile water spaces :S it just looks a little off.
    But other than my personal bone pickings it looks amazing! :)

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
    Years
  • @carmaniac
    Rated Map : Wow, this is a really nice map. :)
    Rating : I overall would give it a 9 out of 10.
    Reason for rating + Suggestions : I like the way you kept a feeling of symmetry without making it completely symmetrical and boring. I do have a tiny problem with it though, 2 things, two parts of it look a little bit empty, at the signpost, and down the bottom, I'm not really sure how it looks in-game or anything but it looks a little bit empty from here. And, the second thing, I'm not loving the idea of one tile water spaces :S it just looks a little off.
    But other than my personal bone pickings it looks amazing! :)

Thank you for the kind comment.
    I do have a slight habbit of putting in 1 tile lakes and slight emptyness
    but in game it looks fine-ish.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2021
    Did a bit of tweaking from the feedback I received several days back and I came out with 2 outcomes;
    Kyledove's tiles
    Map Rating Thread

Yes, I noticed the stairs near the lab are blocked out; this is fixed now.

Alucus' tiles(correct me if I'm wrong, not quite sure)
    Map Rating Thread

I think I overdid it with the flowers on this one. :P

Which d'you guys think is better and how d'you reckon it could be improved? Feedback is extremely appreciated. :)

Edit: My original, for reference sake:
    Map Rating Thread

Last edited:

The Original Darkwiz787

Stuck with text below my name.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    Wow, that's really nice compared to the original. I just want to say the pallete seems much more fitting with the school being there IMO.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Not all of the tiles go together well, the kyledove ones you were using are those ones.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2021
    Based on what you said about the lab and Pokemon School not matching the tiles, I have replaced those buildings with some that fit more with the scheme. I'm not quite sure about that lab, does anyone have a more suiting one? I have also added the area where the main Pokemon in the game resides; Shaymin.

Map Rating Thread

Credits to Alucus and Calis Projects for the tiles.

Raikt

Fiction writer.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    So, after bouncing around the game development forums for a while now, I feel comfortable enough posting a few of the maps I've been working on. It's most a "see how I'm doing" sort of thing, since I've only been mapping for about two weeks now. I'd really appreciate any feedback on them, as I'm really enjoying myself. Just a few notes:

- I've noticed the selection tool on the left hand side. :p If it's really annoying, I can redo it, but otherwise I know it's there.
    - If the beach looks weird to anyone (I'm also highly critical of my own work), that's because I had to scratch their tiles myself. I couldn't find a good tileset with beach tiles pre-included. :/

EDIT: Just noticed I forgot my "nubs" at the end of the ledges. I'll have to fix that up.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I know this isn't exactly what this thread has in mind, but it is technically a map so...
    Map Rating Thread

This is the region for my game, Serri. It was drawn with MSPaint in HGSS style which took me 12 hours to complete and perfect. The green bar at the bottom is where the text appears in case you don't know. Before anyone asks, this isn't based on any particular landmass (anymore...) as i modified it to suit my tastes. If you find something resembling it then let me know, I'd be very interested. If anyone is curious the starting town is the one in the middle with only a route to the east.

Last edited:

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • @dudleyspud: Hmm, what I first notice about this map is a bad mix of tiles. You've got the smaller Pallet town house, they're fine, but then you've got the larger one, which just looks silly compared to the rest of the map. Then there's the badly ripped HG/SS gym, it doesn't look good right now, but may if it was a better version (like GNCs). The lab at the top is blurred as you didn't input it into the tile set correctly, also it doesn't match at all. The rest is good. By the way, to get rid of the lines go onto layer 3, click view and then current layers and bleow and unclick dim layers.

@jim42: Firstly, half the size and it'll look better. It's hard to get the HG/SS map style right, but you've done it. It's not square at all. The only thing missing is the water shading, uif you add that it'll look a lot better.

Map Rating Thread

The first route in my game, XENOTIME. The southern entrance is from the hometown, north is the next town and west is a special area.
    Credits: Kyledove and Alistair. All pallets mine, do not steal.

Last edited:

Zadow

Pokemon Ebony Developer
    Years
  • I'll rate the two above maps later.

Spoiler:

The first route in my game, XENOTIME. The southern entrance is from the hometown, north is the next town and west is a special area.
    Credits: Kyledove and Alistair. All pallets mine, do not steal.

It's a really nice map, it's solid and does force the character to move through some tall grass which is good :) the change in trees is also interesting, so that you wont ALWAYS be looking at the same trees.
    I don't see any obvious tile errors, and it doesn't seem too empty, as long as you include and NPC or two :p
    Over-all I have no complaints about this map at all, well done!
    I wish I had something I could complain about so it'd seem more thoughtful but I can't! :p
    9.5/10, because there is always room for improvement :]

And now, it'd be really nice if someone could tell me what they thought of a few of my maps, since I finally got the guts to post some.
    (RMXP)
    Here is Rustboro City
    Spoiler:

And, one more, just because I thought it was really pretty...
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2012
    A Pokemon Center from Pokemon: Saints.

Map Rating Thread

Anyone have any suggestions for improving it? Some of the spaces look too bare.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Peeky Chew said:

@jim42: Firstly, half the size and it'll look better. It's hard to get the HG/SS map style right, but you've done it. It's not square at all. The only thing missing is the water shading, uif you add that it'll look a lot better.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say water shading. Do you mean like in the middle of the ocean? Or is it that I have shaded around the coastline incorrectly? I'm also not sure what you mean by "It's not square at all." Do you mean that it isn't blocky? And I assume that by half the size you mean that i didn't reduce the screen shot to half the resolution - i didn't think of that, my apologies.

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2011
    Can someone rate my map? It's still a WIP at the moment, but it's getting there.
    fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/139/0/b/Route_721_by_ForeverXShoddyBattle.png
    Sorry about the annoying URL, i don't have 15 posts yet.

Last edited:

Neo-Spriteman

or goloog. that works too.
    Years
    • Age 26
    • MD
    • Seen Jun 19, 2015
    Map Name: Elmridge City

Map Editor: RPG Maker XP

Comments: This is a map in my yet to be revealed project Pokemon: Galaxy Version. I like it a lot, but need opinions. Like? Hate?

Mapshot:
    Map Rating Thread

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Map Name: Elmridge City

Map Editor: RPG Maker XP

Comments: This is a map in my yet to be revealed project Pokemon: Galaxy Version. I like it a lot, but need opinions. Like? Hate?

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

It's not bad, I say maybe a 7/10, but a few pointers -
    -There is a fruit bearing (?) tree that is on top of a cliff on the right next to the gym.
    -Why is there a light post in a ditch next to the gym? it should be on higher ground. (This and above can be fixed easily by making the little ditch the same level as the tree and joining the edges nearly meeting below the light.)
    -The bridge seems unnatural and disconnected. Try to modify the graphic so it flows better with the landscape.
    -The area joiner building (i.e. the one that you have to go through to get to the south area) should be a few tiles lower; it doesnt make sense for it to stick out of a cliff from only one tile in.
    -Why all the grass?

Also, completely irrelevant, but the project I am working on is also called Pokemon Galaxy. I hope you don't mind, the name is sorta topical for my game.

Back