• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating Thread

MasterSceptile

Pokémon Master/Glitch Hunter
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 9, 2019
    Name: Test Town
    Editor: RPG Maker XP
    Comments: My first map that I made in about 10 minutes. It was meant to be the Starter Town of my game, but looking at these other (larger) maps people have made, I'm thinking of redoing it. The color palette is expected to change (more saturation), but the layout would be the same.

Map Rating Thread

Last edited:

XD003

The Silver Rose of Chaos
    Years
  • Game: Inferno Red
    Name: Route 23 (Aboveground)
    Other notes of information: Since the game is being made in GSC tiles, there were no tiles for Route 23 from the original RBY games. The games also never provided an official explanation as for why Route 23 was signifigantly reduced, so I came up with my own reason: Before the events of GSC, Route 23 flooded over in most of the southern side, stopping just before Viridian's Badge Check. There was also a rock slide which came after the flood that blocked off the original Victory Road exit. I'll let the map speak for itself, here it is:

Map Rating Thread

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    @MasterSceptile: It's quite a good map, I like the layout of it, but one thing - remove one of the trees on the bottom left of the lower clearing, so that the path can go straighter. I also think it may be a good idea to put in some flowers in the lower area too.
    @XD003: Looks great, I can picture it being in GSC (and really it should have been). Keep up the good work.

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
    Years
  • I like that route, too. It was sad they didn't bring back the old Rt. 23 in HGSS (it doesn't even show up anymore). Interesting backstory as well.

cesa

Teh Game Developah
    Years
  • Map Rating Thread

Name: Route 2
    Comments: One of the only 2 routes I've made for a game. Yeah, pine tree shadows aren't reflected, when we have all maps, I will then reflect them.

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
  • Map Rating Thread

Name: Route 2
    Comments: One of the only 2 routes I've made for a game. Yeah, pine tree shadows aren't reflected, when we have all maps, I will then reflect them.

I think it would be better if you actually showed us the map...just saying.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Mate, I had a look around in the source code and your image is currently being hosted on a forum which we don't have access to, hence why you can see it and we can't. Upload it to somewhere like Imageshack or Tinypic then repost it so we can see it too. :)

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
    Years
  • Can I ask how to insert Palletes? I see in other peoples hacks that they have ones that aren't in other games.

And I have this problem and I cant post a picture because I don't have 15+ posts. I'll try to explain it, when I walk from the first town in my hack, and into the first route, when you walk back, it appears all glitchy and the map becomes weird (Like things that aren't supposed to be in places are there, the map becomes bigger etc..)

Sorry if this also isn't the place for putting this, I'm new and couldn't find a place to put it..

EDIT: Oh sorry, this isn't the place, I thought this was another thread, sorry. :/

Last edited:

XD003

The Silver Rose of Chaos
    Years
  • Can I ask how to insert Palletes? I see in other peoples hacks that they have ones that aren't in other games.

And I have this problem and I cant post a picture because I don't have 15+ posts. I'll try to explain it, when I walk from the first town in my hack, and into the first route, when you walk back, it appears all glitchy and the map becomes weird (Like things that aren't supposed to be in places are there, the map becomes bigger etc..)

Sorry if this also isn't the place for putting this, I'm new and couldn't find a place to put it..

EDIT: Oh sorry, this isn't the place, I thought this was another thread, sorry. :/

Sorry, this is the Game Making thread. At the most, I think that questions like that are better suited for here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58 if I'm understanding your question correctly. But I'm just guessing. I was always quiet and never asked anyone on the forums for help - Both out of laziness and fear of getting my head eaten off <<; But yeah, sorry I can't be of better help with your problem.

XD003

The Silver Rose of Chaos
    Years
  • First off, pat on the back to you for using second generation tiles. It saddens me that there's rarely used. However, there's a few things you could have done to make the map better. First off, there's pretty much no flowers, which to be fair doesn't really subtract much from the map, but at the same time, it would certainly give it a nice positive boost.

Those...small water rocks? Not sure what their called, but we'll call them that... You really shouldn't have them in squares like that, it doesn't look very natural or very good. Squares can be hard to avoid while mapping in the second generation, assuming you're mapping the way their meant to be mapped with [32x32 tiles versus 16x16], but even so, it's not that difficult to mix up the shape a bit.

-Pats himself on the back- Well, I'd say the issue with that is that there isn't alot of Gen II tiles; At least, I didn't see any. I'd assume I have the only one, and its not even complete; I'm finding myself ripping tiles from GSC to finish the set. And it's sad that there arent more GSC tiles, as they look really good.

Also, the flowers don't exactly match with the provided tileset (They blend in with Kanto Gen II Tiles), so they'd look a bit out of place. I'd need to rip the tiles from GSC in order to get the Johto-styled ones, as I'm using the Johto Grass (Kanto Grass is a bit wavy-ish)

Also, by water rocks, do you mean my Makeshift Dive spots? I wasn't really sure how to make them look in GSC-Style, as Dive was Third Generation exclusive. But yeah, I wanted to keep it stled the way GSC had their maps, and I really didn't want to expand the map further to make the dive spots seem bigger (It was already quite big on the map; Okay, maybe not too big, but still)

However, thank you for the feedback. I really do appreciate it, and I'll try to make my GSC-Themed maps look better in the future. Hopefully I'll have more tiles to work with x.x;

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Here's two of my maps. All progress on my game has stalled since I seem to have an aversion to programming in Fakemon data, so I figure I might as well show some of what I have. Both maps are routes - and in fact the first two of my game.

The first is Route 50. It is here that you are at first prevented from entering by a little boy trying to identify when Unimoth are found. Later, you head through here to collect a prototype Pokedex and encounter your Rival, battling them for the first time. It is a West -> East route.
    The second is Route 51. You can't enter here due to the grand reopening of the nearby town's Pokemon Centre, until of coarse you perform some silly little chores. You find several trainers here, and when you obtain Rock Climb you can access a mountainous lagoon to the north of the route. It goes from the West down South, and also North later.

Credits go to: Mostly Kymotonian/Kyledove, as that's where I obtained most of the tiles from. Some credit goes to me for some minor tile editing (the rock climb wall, deeper back cliff face, angle stairs and orange paths). Some other credit may apply, but I forget who to. If it is due to you let me know and I will fix it.

So, what do you think?

Last edited:

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
    Years
  • I like those two maps.

They have a nice, organized yet road-like structure, a nice palette that's easy on the eyes, and the paths aren't straightforward and you navigate a good length and width of each map. You seem to have what it takes to be an awesome mapper; I hope to see more from you in the future.

I give both a 10/10. I even like how you have to go through a tiny bit of grass in the shortcuts XD

Last edited:
    Years
  • @ Jim, i'll give the first map a 8/10 and the seconded one a 10/10, i love the structure of the seconded map, keep it up!

MasterSceptile

Pokémon Master/Glitch Hunter
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 9, 2019
    Name: Test Town V2.1 (Yeah, still no real name.) and the basic layout of Route 1.
    Comments: Ok, I'm back after tweaking my original map to be bigger and doing the color saturating that I wanted to do. NOTE: It is not finished! As you can see, there is plenty of empty space, so any suggestions for what to put there?
    EDIT: Now I've also included an early concept image of Route 1.
    Tell me what you think:
    Map Rating Thread

https://a.imageshack.us/img135/5610/startertown2.png

Original for comparison:
    Map Rating Thread

MasterSceptile

Last edited:
    Back