• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savordez

It's time to end fangames.
Years
Kaise Town! Plus a bit of Mt. Kaise
Spoiler:

The tool I used won't render autotiles so there's no flowers too. (Also there's some errors with the tiles but I've already fixed most of them)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2022
Kaise Town! Plus a bit of Mt. Kaise
Spoiler:

The tool I used won't render autotiles so there's no flowers too. (Also there's some errors with the tiles but I've already fixed most of them)

I like the structure of the map, but it could definitely be cleaned up a little. Having lots of in-y and out-y bits doesn't look as good when they impede player movement (they're fine on those inaccessible bits on top of the mountain though). I recommend smoothing out the cliff a little, expanding the left side behind the pokemart and pushing the Pokemart back a bit to be sitting against the cliff. This'll give a bit the player a bit more space, and lets you tighten up other areas without the map feeling claustrophobic. I'd reccommend pulling in that cliff behind that first bottom house, for example. You could also do the reverse: push the house back and pull the cliff by the Pokemart in, though personally I prefer to keep a map not so one sided.

The other thing is, like you said, tile errors. Since I don't know which ones you've fixed and which ones you haven't, I'll just point out the ones I noticed: the cliff to the left of the pokemart, that red bit behind the Pokemart, the cliff below the first house, and not so much an 'error' but I think the flower tiles you're using dont blend in with the grass so well, as you can see the sharp border separating the tiles.

My only other suggestion is not to use those hedge tiles unless you make it a theme of the town. Having just one or two in random places looks a bit weird.

But like I said in the beginning, the structure looks good, and the tiers are done well. Maps always look much better in-game anyway : ).

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2024
I've been messing around with Gen 1 and 2 tiles and I've put together two maps I'd like feedback on.

I've included two versions of each map; one with just the base map, the other with an example of what the area will look like with characters populating it.

The first is one of the floors of a small apartment building and home of the player's character as she leaves behind her grandparents to set out on her Pokemon journey. My biggest concern with this one is the shadows for the walls; I'm not sure if they look out of place or if I'm just noticing it because I put them there.

Just the map:
Spoiler:

With example entities:
Spoiler:

The second is out in the forest at the partially-built radio tower, currently using its only active transmitter to broadcast "Catherine 119", and the "Wagon Trails" farm. This one has more things I'd like feedback on, namely whether the greenhouses, garage and crops at the farm and the incomplete sections of the radio tower look okay.

If you're looking at the example entities map, do you think the cars and pickup trucks look okay?

Just the map:
Spoiler:

With example entities:
Spoiler:

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
@PuzzledPsyduck:

Map 1
10/10
Excellent map.
You've made good use of space, you have made the building realistic, without making it look barren or too big and it looks very entertaining and interesting to explore.

Map 2
9/10
Good usage of old graphics, while still keeping a modern mapping style, like realistic house sizes and logical placement of roads and other manmade objects.

My only nitpick is that the main North-South road is really boring only being 2 tiles wide and looking the same almost all the way.
Try removing some trees here and there beside the road to give it some detail.

Black Eternity

Lord of Eternity
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 30, 2016
Alright, let me explain a couple things before I get berated, lol just kidding.
I have never done any mapping with these style tiles before, and I am just testing out a couple things

1. The trees on the north side are not finished, currently I don't have a tile for multiple trees. And
naturally trees don't grow in a straight line, so, that being said, I am still working on it.

2. The layout is not complete, the open space will be filled, and the houses will be placed in
a more appealing manor.

3. What I really came here for, was the pond. I would like to know your constructive criticism.
Do you think the bridge across is too long? Note, the right blank area will be filled.
More or less foliage inside and/or around the pond?

Let me know what you think.
Spoiler:

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
The pond looks nice, and I wouldn't worry about the bridge being "too long".
I do think you have too much detail in the pond. It'd look better if you used the vegetaion more moderately.
Also: Since you said you were moving the houses; Leave more room for a small path between the bridge and the house. Right now, the house is way too close to the pond and bridge. It feels cramped.

Black Eternity

Lord of Eternity
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 30, 2016
The pond looks nice, and I wouldn't worry about the bridge being "too long".
I do think you have too much detail in the pond. It'd look better if you used the vegetaion more moderately.
Also: Since you said you were moving the houses; Leave more room for a small path between the bridge and the house. Right now, the house is way too close to the pond and bridge. It feels cramped.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take a note, and post an update soon. :P

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
Years
Hey guys, I want to show off my own screen of a cave I am working on. It is called Sandy Cavern, and some of the Wild Pokemon include Trapinch, Stunfisk, Baltoy, Kangaskhan, and Hippopotas. I tried to add other colored rocks, but it seems off when I do so I only used the ones I have. Any other suggestions of what to add? Also, sorry about the map being cut off a little bit around the edges but it isn't a big deal.

Please give good criticism. I am also looking for people to help me with some recolors, so PM me if you want to help with those.

Last edited:

Florio

Years
The northern half of Route 6 for my game. More info here.

Spoiler:

This map is really nice, I really like the staircases and the sign. Also the grass and flowers are well positioned. 10/10.

Spoiler:

Here is the latest map of my game, Pokemon Crimson Skies. This is Route 9, and has the Pokemon Swablu, Marill, Riolu, Skarmory, Hawlucha and Dedenne. There is a house you can heal your Pokemon at near the cave entrance, and a berry patch beside it too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Atomic Reactor

@ Rayd12smitty, Really great map dude. The tiles used all mash together nicely, and the gameplay aspect of it is nice, meaning you can navigate it easily and there's plenty of space, but it's not too open. So you used good amount of spacing. Whole map is done real well. Good amount of depth and interesting terrain too, which is important. Interesting terrain + playablility/maneuverability = wonderful maps (imo).

@ Florio, I am not particularly fond of these tiles, it's hard to pull off the desaturated look well. The map itself though isn't too bad. I would not have so many corners though. Instead, work in bigger segments of squares sometimes. Like this (used frlg tiles for example)
http://prntscr.com/54tu44
I also would suggest you use a different texture/ tile when you walk on mountain areas instead of the top of a mountain. It usually looks better (imo)
http://prntscr.com/54tuwv
I also never liked the stairs in the tileset you're using, looks too much like a ramp.
Other than that, the map isn't too bad! Just some things I think would improve it if you fixed :)

[-Edit]
Here's a map I just made for fun too if anyone has any suggestions!
http://prntscr.com/54twkb
54twkb

Last edited:

Florio

Years
@ Rayd12smitty, Really great map dude. The tiles used all mash together nicely, and the gameplay aspect of it is nice, meaning you can navigate it easily and there's plenty of space, but it's not too open. So you used good amount of spacing. Whole map is done real well. Good amount of depth and interesting terrain too, which is important. Interesting terrain + playablility/maneuverability = wonderful maps (imo).

@ Florio, I am not particularly fond of these tiles, it's hard to pull off the desaturated look well. The map itself though isn't too bad. I would not have so many corners though. Instead, work in bigger segments of squares sometimes. Like this (used frlg tiles for example)
http://prntscr.com/54tu44
I also would suggest you use a different texture/ tile when you walk on mountain areas instead of the top of a mountain. It usually looks better (imo)
http://prntscr.com/54tuwv
I also never liked the stairs in the tileset you're using, looks too much like a ramp.
Other than that, the map isn't too bad! Just some things I think would improve it if you fixed :)

[-Edit]
Here's a map I just made for fun too if anyone has any suggestions!
http://prntscr.com/54twkb
54twkb

Thanks for the advice Atomic Reactor, I will definitely take it into consideration. I like the tileset I'm using so I have no problem with that. And I don't usually try to do things segmented because I try to make my maps look like they flow more naturally, but I'll try to get a bit less corners. Also I might try to find a new staircase and I'll try finding a new mountain texture.

As for your map, it looks pretty good but I feel like some parts are fairly bare. Try adding some more rocks around the mountain area and maybe some more logs around the map.

Atomic Reactor

Yeah the tileset is totally up to you haha. And I totally get trying to make things look more natural, but you have to take into account the playability aspect as well. More natural does not always correlate that well with playability, which is why I suggested segmenting it more. But, as critiques go, you can choose to use/ignore them, does not matter to me!

And thanks, I'll try to make it less bare (it would look less bare if there were NPCs on the map too I think)

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 28, 2023
These are pretty much the first maps that I've ever made other than the slightly-edited rom map edit stuff I did years ago. These are based off the vague maps I drew for a fangame when I was like 10, and I'm trying to finally give them life.

Bloomingbud Town
Spoiler:

Route 50
Spoiler:

Route 51
Spoiler:

Tromango City
Spoiler:

Sunso City
Spoiler:

Route Paradise
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2022
These are pretty much the first maps that I've ever made other than the slightly-edited rom map edit stuff I did years ago. These are based off the vague maps I drew for a fangame when I was like 10, and I'm trying to finally give them life.

Bloomingbud Town
Spoiler:

Route 50
Spoiler:

Route 51
Spoiler:

Tromango City
Spoiler:

Sunso City
Spoiler:

Route Paradise
Spoiler:

You've posted a fair few so forgive me for going too far into specifics. You seem to generally have the gen 2 map style down. Tromango City in particular looks very authentic, as does Route 51, though you can walk trough it without going through grass. Sunso City looks really good too, except I don't particularly like the 2x2 houses you've included. Maybe cut down some tree space just to expand them and make them look less tiny. I think of all of them Route Paradise needs the most improvement. The Southern section below the ledge is good, though maybe it'd look better if the right hand side was pulled in a bit. The top section though has a lot of open space and no need to go through any of the grass. I think you could pull in that wall of trees on the left about 5 tiles, while keeping the shape, and filling in some of the clear grass with tall grass. To the right of the little island of trees, also a few patches of grass.

Nonetheless, I don't really do the whole 'out of ten' thing, but if I did your maps would be a high number. You don't see a lot of Gen 2 style maps, but you've pulled it off extremely well.

edit: I should also mention the flower placement. They always look just exactly where they should be.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2016
Just wanted some feedback on this map. I do plan on editing, but maybe the feedback could guide me.
Spoiler:

I feel like it's a bit big and space-y. Especially in play through. and I really like the house but I feel it sticks out a bit too much style wise.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Just wanted some feedback on this map. I do plan on editing, but maybe the feedback could guide me.

I feel like it's a bit big and space-y. Especially in play through. and I really like the house but I feel it sticks out a bit too much style wise.

It's hard to comment on that... Bit too small... But houses without shade need changing, it looks weird, especially since the bridge has shade.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Spoiler:

I recommend you take off all the buildings, cut the map's dimensions in half, and then put the buildings back on. that should in theory preserve most of your coastline's detail while making your cliffs feel more natural, and reduce the wasted space. I wouldn't scale it down further than that, though, as if the map gets populated by trainers or NPC's it'll feel less empty as well.

KillerMapper

Helix Follower
Years
Making big maps is often a mistake made by many people (I had this problem too). Bigs maps tend to be empty (it takes time to fill it with stuff) and consequently being boring to play. That's why you won't see huge maps in official pokémon games.
Try to reduce the size, and make it less empty. Think about the limits too, do you want the player be able to surf everywhere (if they can use surf) ?

Here is a small town I've made for my game. As you can see, I tried to keep the map with a small size, so it's not looking empty. Of course it's not perfect and unfinished (especially where is the road), you can give your opinion on it :)

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
Here is a small town I've made for my game. As you can see, I tried to keep the map with a small size, so it's not looking empty. Of course it's not perfect and unfinished (especially where is the road), you can give your opinion on it :)

Firstly I think the map has too many clashing styles; D/P/Pt, HG/SS and B/W. There are a couple of mapping errors also. The map itself is fine. Not too much empty space and a careful layout.

If you just stick to 1 style and fix the mapping errors it should look just fine.

I have some of my own mapshots of maps. These are small segments of different maps witht the purpose of showing off the tiles and mapping style. My thread may be inactive but my DeviantArt certainly isn't.

Enjoy!

Spoiler:

More info on my DeviantArt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back