• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

marijuana legalization

Status
Not open for further replies.

blink.

Banned
Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2010
    yes or no? keep it civilized.

USA btw guys. at least for me.

Last edited:

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Yeah, its not any worse than having tobacco and alcohol legalized, and it can bring a bit of money in from taxation. Not really any reason not too other than a moral opposition against drugs, even the weak ones.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Marijuana is actually one of the less addictive drugs, and in quite a few cases, are actually healthy. I think doctors prescribe it to improve your eyesight.
    Just look at other European countries like the Netherlands. They are in a much better condition, and they have legalised marijuana. But I'm not one to say correlation is causation, so it may be something else.

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
  • @blink.
    Wow, you went against your own rules there, Chet.

As for me, no, I believe it shouldn't be legalized for anything but medicinal uses, if such uses can be found. It doesn't help in any way, and in the end, everyone would be abusing it, nothing would get done.

On a similar note, we should ban tobacco as well, as that's just overall bad for your health and for those around you. I don't care if you think you look cool smoking, you can go to another country that has it legalized. I'm not going to get lung cancer just so you can look cool.

And that's my two cents.

blink.

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2010
    example of a bad post; viceroy gawain

example of a good post; luck

you see, people against marijuana tend to forget one thing; evidence. they claim it's so bad for you but when it comes down to it, it just plain isn't. it's been noted for having many, many positive health benefits, such as helping chemotherapy patients, or making those last few months for somebody terminally ill a lot easier. it's also been noted that those smoking marijuana are almost always happier with whre they are in their lives.

everyone would be abusing it, nothing would get done.

what's wrong qith 'abusing' it? it's potentially harmless, whereas you don't even have to smoke it nowadays. with almost no negative side effects except for munchies.

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
  • Oh I know it's "potentially" harmless and not addictive, but kids would be doing it at an earlier age just cause it's ok with the world and mommy, daddy, big brother and sister do it. This would form a mental addiction (much like internet or computer addiction) rather then a chemical one (nicotine), and they wouldn't do much with their life other then get a job to fuel their habit. In the end, the world slowly grows dumber cause of lower test scores and dropouts who get by just fine smoking pot in their bedroom, as mom and dad, coming from previous generations where it was legalized, are also to high to kick little Jimmy out of the house. It's not a problem we'll experience right away, but over time.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2013
    and most of those moral oppositions are founded by retarded christianfags who have no real evidence anyway lolololol

True in the words of the late great Peter Tosh Legalize it - don't criticize it

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    Oh I know it's "potentially" harmless and not addictive, but kids would be doing it at an earlier age just cause it's ok with the world and mommy, daddy, big brother and sister do it. This would form a mental addiction (much like internet or computer addiction) rather then a chemical one (nicotine), and they wouldn't do much with their life other then get a job to fuel their habit. In the end, the world slowly grows dumber cause of lower test scores and dropouts who get by just fine smoking pot in their bedroom, as mom and dad, coming from previous generations where it was legalized, are also to high to kick little Jimmy out of the house. It's not a problem we'll experience right away, but over time.

From my experience, kids have a tendency to want to try things that aren't legal. The way I see it, kids will get used to its existence and it won't be so "cool" to get a hold of some.

If I may add, drug legalization usually = lower crime rates. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I found the video that shows statistics about Amsterdam and the cesspool of crime that they are in.
    If you want links to the statistics, it should be in the side bar of the video.

BrockObama

Custom User Title
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2009
    so uhh.. legalization of marijuana would be the shiz.

i don't have any statistics to post or politically correct statements to make, i just love smoking weed. :)

.:Kanto:.

I'm back, yet again!
    Years
  • Marijuana should be legalized, it's less dangerous than cigarettes, and only 1 in 8 people get addicted. It also explains my absence from the forums for a long time... uhh I probably shouldn't have said that. I stopped a while ago, no negative effects at all. Wasn't addictive, still as smart as I used to be, still breathin' fine. So in my opinion, it's perfectly fine. and SHOULD be legalized. :)

Nemaru

nah
    Years
  • Personally, I don't do drugs and I think weed is problem. 80% of the kids in my high school would disagree (I know quite a few burnouts), but honestly, for health's sake weed should never ever be legal, in fact police should pay more attention to it.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    example of a bad post; viceroy gawain

example of a good post; luck

Example of a post with unreadable grammar: blink.

Personally, I think no obviously harmful drug should be legalized. Of course if you need Marijuana to outlive some condition (MEDICAL) then use some damn common sense :P.

So yeah, No Marijuana except for severe medical purposes.

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2009
    definitely yes. weed is amazing and seriously isnt as bad as people hype it up to be.

Dragonzord

Metagame x Metamon
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2012
    I almost never post here...but just had to.

Abraham lincon once said " (Prohibition) goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things tha

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    If people want to do it, let them get on with it but warn them beforehand that their actions are their responsability alone — like how cigarette (tabacco) packets have to have warnings on themselves in my country, although they could do with taking up less space and in some cases being less graphic.

Many of the benefits and downsides of ingesting Cannabis sativa are just random things found by individual studies made by university students for their degrees and have little true implications; whether or not that's actually true y'all ought to stop believing all the statistics you read since each individual's biological reaction to most anything is different. I cite Sigmund Freud's use of cocaine to that end.

By the by, it was in fact legal in the US for farmers to grow it during WWII due to a lack of something, I think in the army, but I forgot what exactly.

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
  • Well, it's a drug, so it'll be abused just like all the other drugs out there. I've always been against it because I have never been presented with a real reason for it to be legalized, other than "its sum real good shiz." Also, from what I've heard, drug dealers oppose the legalization because it'll interfere with their sales. I think I wouldn't like an idea if it could damage my only income too. If the US decides to legalize it, then smell you later, California.

...aaaaand THC! I had to throw that somewhere in there.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • Marijuana has been linked to disruption in brain development. So if dumb teenagers like yourselves try out the drug, then you're not ever going to get any smarter.

http://www.livescience.com/health/090203-marijuana-brain.html

In addition, the abuse of one drug often leads to the abuse of others, and so legalising it would only encourage such harmful behaviour.

This.

I find it very, very easy to point out the people who have shared their opinion in this thread who have and haven't tried the drug, simply because the people who do have somehow lost the ability to find the shift key on their keyboards.

However, there are upsides and downsides to each side of the argument, and while I hate to sit on the fence on such a debate, I'd like to bring to light some arguments for the more polarized opinions.

Legalizing it would theoretically do no harm to society as a whole. A lot of people I know (I feel odd admitting I'm the only person in my home who doesn't smoke weed) do the drug, and the means to which some go to possess it can become extreme; legalizing it would eliminate the necessity to go to such extremes. (In English, there'd be less crimes in the name of the dearly departed Bob Marley.)

However, it'd also make a lot of today's youth a bunch of bumbling stoners. The youth that I know who smoke weed are all a bunch of bums and tards, and they carry themselves with an unprofessional disposition that makes me feel like I'd catch their stench of failure being around them. It's not a pretty sight to watch someone be stoned; to see it legalized would skyrocket the amount of people who are seen this way, and if anyone's had the experience I have around stoned people, it's nothing fun and it's nothing this society needs to be glorifying. (It's bad enough the way it's loosely accepted in society; and I'm ashamed to say I fall under that demographic, since I could care less what choice you make regarding whether or not you choose to take it.)

Another downside of legalizing it is the ignorant reflex of youth. We want what we can't have? What happens if we can have marijuana all of a sudden? It becomes just like cigarettes; society's norm. To a lot of kids, that's not cool anymore. You need to be badass, and to be badass, you gotta do something illegal MAAAN. So what do you do? Up the ante, of course. Go for something more dangerous. What's that mean? Legalizing pot means that crack becomes the new pot, and we're suddenly back in the 60's again. And people wonder why parents are so anal about their kids being on drugs...

There are upsides. I feel the downsides outweigh the ups, but in all honesty, I'd probably be in favor of it if directly asked, since it would mean that the people I know wouldn't be arrested for consumption of it. Besides, I'm not taking the drug now and I probably never will, so it's not a matter that directly concerns me. I just thought I'd help each side realize the ups and downs before spouting out "OMG EFF YEA BRO THAT'S SO CASH" or "EWW NO PEOPLE WHO SMOKE WEED SHOULD GO DIE".

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back