• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Mature" Pokemon

Should there be a "mature" version of the Pokemon anime?

• Yes

Votes: 35 67.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I would like to see Pokemon become more like a family show that can be enjoyed by all ages. Take the success of "Doctor Who" here in the UK for example. It contains death, suspense, horror, peril, complex plots and open sexuality, and is enjoyed by all, from 5 year old kids to their 80 year old grandparents. Its premise is similarly ridiculous - a mysterious alien who travels through time and space in a blue box that is bigger on the inside - yet it deals with mature themes in an adult way, that is still perfectly appropriate for young children to watch. I would definitely watch a Pokemon series like that, rather than the simplistic, repetitive, cliched stuff we have now, that isn't really enjoyed by any non-Pokenerd over the age of ten.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I would like to see Pokemon become more like a family show that can be enjoyed by all ages. Take the success of "Doctor Who" here in the UK for example. It contains death, suspense, horror, peril, complex plots and open sexuality, and is enjoyed by all, from 5 year old kids to their 80 year old grandparents. Its premise is similarly ridiculous - a mysterious alien who travels through time and space in a blue box that is bigger on the inside - yet it deals with mature themes in an adult way, that is still perfectly appropriate for young children to watch. I would definitely watch a Pokemon series like that, rather than the simplistic, repetitive, cliched stuff we have now, that isn't really enjoyed by any non-Pokenerd over the age of ten.
    You do know peppa pig got sued because in episodes where the family are on the car they didnt ware seat belts XD

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    You do know peppa pig got sued because in episodes where the family are on the car they didnt ware seat belts XD
    aw, poor peppa that is something to lolz about XD I think they should try and not make all the episodes so similar or add something more dangerous like a bit of blood XP

Stewie

Griffin
    Years
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned 'dark.' 'Mature' seems to be confusing some people. A darker anime is what I think you guys mean based on the comments thus far.

Take Naruto for example, it still has the electric colors that are used to attract younger people, but the storylines and plots are awesome. And then you get very dark scenes, literally and figuretively. Emotionally and physically.

The first season was of Pokemon was great. But with each season, it got more and more bland and repetitive the more the seasons came. The first season, the charcaters had, well... character. I dislike the way the current one tries too hard to explain an attack in battle: "give it everything you got, full charged Thunderbolt!" or "Full blast!" What's different than with a regular Thunderbolt? And other attacks; "jump high to dodge the vines from the big Venusaur or it's size will smoosh you!!" I call this ABC show. Sure it's a continuation anime, but they don't feel nearly as continued as DBZ was or Naruto is.

Give me mild blood, give me personality. Darker. I would be a very happy person if this happened.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024

Doctor Who's premise is more accessible than Pokemon because it has some real-world grounding. The Doctor's companion is an ordinary person from Earth, and we experience the adventure through their eyes.

Pokemon could never hope to be that accessible or to have such a wide appeal, because it has no real-world grounding. The best it could hope for is to be a well-written kid's show, like Spongebob.

Years

I would also like to see Pokemon as a more family-orientated show and stop all the "Pokemon is gay" crap. I'd like to see much darker and mature plots in the episodes like in the movies.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
    I would also like to see Pokemon as a more family-orientated show and stop all the "Pokemon is gay" crap. I'd like to see much darker and mature plots in the episodes like in the movies.

It's funny, with the anime, I forget the movies actually have halfway-decent plots. Sure, the movies are far from being great, but they are excellent for fans of Pokemon. Why DOESN'T the show reflect that a bit more, instead of being the same thing episode after episode after episode, with what little plot there is being nearly trivial?

I'm not a hater, I don't regret watching the first 2 seasons of Pokemon, but the anime is pretty poor, even by children's show standards.

Years
    It's funny, with the anime, I forget the movies actually have halfway-decent plots. Sure, the movies are far from being great, but they are excellent for fans of Pokemon. Why DOESN'T the show reflect that a bit more, instead of being the same thing episode after episode after episode, with what little plot there is being nearly trivial?

I'm not a hater, I don't regret watching the first 2 seasons of Pokemon, but the anime is pretty poor, even by children's show standards.

I wouldn't say it was poor but it could at least have some better plots. The movies deal with strong storylines and includes near-deaths or actual deaths in nearly all of them. The anime would have been much better if 4Kids hadn't over-censored it with its banning of certain episodes and overwriting bits of dialogue, cutting scenes out, etc.

Team Rocket are too over-used, they didn't do anything at all in Pokemon Heroes and a few normal episodes and their presence in them is pointless.

Yes, the anime is a bit repepetive in every episode and a lot of stuff from older episodes now no longer make sense like the baby Pikachu, Lt. Surge calling Pikachu a baby pokemon, the Eevee episodes acting like the evolved forms are a complete set, etc.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    I'd watch it; the only reason Ash and his friends are always kept young is to appeal to the younger audience who'll buy the game (thus why in the game, you're 10 as well - Ninty seems to think only 10-year-olds take interest in Pokemon).

As long as the female counterpart doesn't show off her body and have gigantesque boobs, I'd go for it.

That's not necessarily why. It's just what happens in most long running animated shows. The Simpsons, Flinstones, Jetsons, and many more had their characters essentially "ageless" while still maintaining continuity.

I understand some (many?) animes have a plot where characters age, but Pokemon isn't one of those animes.

Mature doesn't mean it has to have sex or extreme violence, no, that's adult. Mature can be aimed at a younger age group. Look at Avatar: The Last Airbender, or Teen Titans, those shows are somewhat more mature then a show like Pokemon, in that they have interesting characters and plots.

While I agree with what you say here, if you look through the posts on this forum, most people talking about a "mature" Pokemon anime want it filled with gratuitous sex, violence, etc... Basically they want Pokemon to be their personal slash-fan fic.

Pokemon was originally considered "mature" even though it was aimed at a younger audience in both Japan and the English versions. Listen (or read) the original episodes of the Pokemon anime, including Mewtwo Strikes Back. While not "HARDCORE" or anything like that... They're both well done and deep.

It might deal with mature themes, but it's nothing that wouldn't blow the mind of any 10 year old.

It's also worth noting that the anime series and the movies are two separate entities made by different companies. They may employ some of the same people (particularly voice actors), but they're separate, which is probably why movie references in the anime (or vice versa) are rare and/or vague.

Last edited:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Oooor... We can slowly bring up the maturity of the current show, to keep current audiences, return audience, gain few younger audiences, repel other audiences, save the internet's ass from 9 year old rapes, and everyone is happy... Maybe except Pokeshippers, but yeah.

And by maturity: Story, rating(Just no more than TV14), slight violences, information on concepts, and of course everyone's favorite: Anime girls.

CyanideEspeon

Strange Woman
    Years
    That would be amazing. But I don't want Pokémon killing each other in battle to be acceptable with the rules, but people breaking them would be fine with me. Maybe having them bleed would be a good idea. Having some wild Pokémon as cold-hearted killers would be interesting.

Edit: It would be great if it was more like Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Edit 2: Having some members of evil teams die and the heroes feeling sorry for them would be a good idea.

Last edited:
    Years
    I'd like it if they made organisations like Team Rocket and others more evil. Why not have organisations that have been set up for the sole purpose of enslaving or even exterminating all Pokemon and as CyanideEspeon said, have some bad guys die but without the feeling sorry part. They would have to deserve everything they get with the pokemon themselves uniting to get rid of them. I like the idea of maybe some killer wild pokemon also, especially those who probably hate humans.

Last edited:

Alpha_Spike

Ace Trainer
    Years
    If Pokemon had been set up to be like how DBZ is then it would be better. By that I mean some of the battles taking more then a single episode and showing both sides struggling. I mean come on in EVERY episode there is an easy win/defeat why not have a battle thats stretched out. Also I agree they need a more mature version. Maybe add in a bit more detail in the battles etc etc

Years
    If Pokemon had been set up to be like how DBZ is then it would be better. By that I mean some of the battles taking more then a single episode and showing both sides struggling. I mean come on in EVERY episode there is an easy win/defeat why not have a battle thats stretched out. Also I agree they need a more mature version. Maybe add in a bit more detail in the battles etc etc

That would be interesting. However, I'd like the anime to focus more on plot and storyline as well as long-winded battles. I'd like to see more two or three parter stories like some shows do. The two pokemon ranger episodes (Deoxys Crisis and the Riolu episodes) are the only two parters in the entire anime and I'd like to see more two/three parters. They should have more emphasis on the story and less on battles.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    Even if it wasn't really serious it would only have to be as mature as Yu Gi Oh and that would be miles better, instead of the repetitive crap that they churn out now.

That would be interesting. However, I'd like the anime to focus more on plot and storyline as well as long-winded battles. I'd like to see more two or three parter stories like some shows do. The two pokemon ranger episodes (Deoxys Crisis and the Riolu episodes) are the only two parters in the entire anime and I'd like to see more two/three parters. They should have more emphasis on the story and less on battles.

The anime has quite a few two/three parters. Like the whole safron gym challenge from season one, the st.anne min arc, the pokemon league arc.

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
    Kinda, yeah, but I mean like this (don't click if you don't like wiggly anime boobs):

Spoiler:

As long as it doesn't get to that lol ~.~

:F Hawt, just hawt.

But if you watch the old Pokemon seasons, it had much adult humor, not truley "mature" though.
    I'd watch a mature version of Pokemon, sure. It might get me into the anime again.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Wasn't there just a thread like this that recently died a couple of weeks ago? o_O I dunno.

Either way, yeah I wish there were a more 'mature' version, at least something aimed at younger teens, instead of 5-year-olds, but that's also why I read the manga. It's a few steps up from the anime in that way, but even the manga isn't as up there as some would like. ; ;

The Girl Once named Tracie

She who tames Celebi
    Years
    I would love to see a pokemon version for the older teens/adults!

Of course, not like sex and death and all that..... maybe more on a Japanese Sailor Moon sort of level? That was aimed at teens, and then brought to America as a kids show. Whoever sayed Cartoon Network could show kids in the daytime, and Adult at night, you have the perfect idea in mind (;

Even though they would NEVER go for it (the idea was considered in 2000, but trashed because pokemon is meant to be for all ages, in all areas), it would be nice to see.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2015
    Honostly I've imagined a Pokemon game like this. I can picture a sequal to XD with a Shadow Mewtwo that has basically the same role he did in the first movie.....but thats beside the point. Take FMA or Naruto for example (my favorite animes) if Pokemon had more of a story like these two and had some deep scenes and stuff like that, it may appeal to old Pokemon anime fans that absolutely hate it now and the fans that love everything. Overall I think this would be great as long as they don't use Ash or any of the regualar characters in the anime. They should use the in-game characters such as Red, Gold, Silver, Blue, etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back