• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

May 15, 2008: California Supreme Court Legalizes Same Sex Marriage

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
Years
  • So I think the title is pretty much self-explanatory as to what this discussion is about. So before this begins, here is a little bit of an article from Wikipedia lightly explaining the situation-

"The status of same-sex marriage in California, known for its large gay communities and generally liberal political climate, has been a political issue since at least the late 1970s.

On May 15, 2008, the Supreme Court of California overturned the ban on same-sex marriage. The four-to-three decision made California the second state, behind Massachusetts, to allow full marriage rights for same-sex partners. Barring a last-minute injunction, marriage licenses will be issued to same-sex couples starting on June 14, 2008.

California had already permitted domestic-partner registration, a right similar to civil unions found in other states. This grants 'same-sex couples all state-level rights and obligations of marriage — in areas such as inheritance, income tax, insurance and hospital visitation' but does not apply to 'federal-level rights of marriage that cannot be granted by states.' "

So pretty much, what's everyone's opinion on this? I personally agree with it. I'm gay and live in California and I feel that myself, and my community, finally recognized as equals, for the most part, here in California. I also see this as a huge step forward for our country as a whole. I feel that maybe someday all men, and women, will be equal. Moreover, I see this as somewhat of a Civil Rights movement. As so many before us, the gay community will fight for our birth given rights to be seen as equals to the rest of this country. As they say, "As does California, so does the rest of the country.". How I hope that statment will prove true.

Now before this "discussion" can begin, there will be a few rules/suggestions/clarifications.

Rules
    • DO NOT just post a "yes" or "no" answer. Give some substance to back up your opinion.
    • Keep all hate speech to yourself!
    • Be respectful to the arguements of everyone in the thrread, even if they have a different idea than yours.
    • Do not make personal attacks on other members due to their point-of-view.
    • You do NOT have to live in California to post your opinion.
    • I advise that younger members stay away from posting, lest you have a viable arguement.
    • And have fun ^.^

EDIT: Just an extra side-note, I've asked the all powerful S-Mod (xD) Ausadriel to keep an eye on this thread. So make sure to mind your manners ^.^

Last edited:

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    I'm very happy about how this is begining to come into effect all over the world. My two best friends are gay and the more widespread this ideology is becomming, the happier they seem. Marriage should be the coming together of people who love each other, thankfully the stigma associated with gay marriage is fading and letting that message come through. However I can appreciate why people may be against it, what with religious beliefs and all.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    OMFG
    THE WORLD HAS BECOME WRONG
    can't you see boy-boy is wrong
    i just fin dit very weird n annoyin & not to offend gay people but .....

UR ALL GAY
    I H8 YOU
    (no offence )

No offence?
    That has to be one of the most offensive thing's I've heard in a while. It's not like you even have a reason, you just seemed to attack people because of what they are.

Years
  • I haven't got a problem with it, it really doesn't affect anyone except for the 2 people. It's when Gay adoptions etc come into it that it starts to get complicated.

No offence?
    That has to be one of the most offensive thing's I've heard in a while. It's not like you even have a reason, you just seemed to attack people because of what they are.

You find it offensive to be called "gay"?

crazy

Last edited:

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023

It was more in the relation to the "I HATE YOU" phrase. It was a pretty ignorant thing to say about people simply because of who they are. I have already voiced my opinion on the matter.

Storm-DC

Dance Instructor
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2019
    uhm, we already have it here for over 10 years and it's not that special. most of those also end in diforce, just like the straight marriages. it's really cool for the ones that stick together though :p

Xairmo

Years
  • I haven't got a problem with it, it really doesn't affect anyone except for the 2 people. It's when Gay adoptions etc come into it that it starts to get complicated.

crazy
    I do agree that the whole adoption controversy comes into it that it doe sbecome complicated, yet I still don't see why gay couples should be denied the same rights as a straight couple. I was watching the news the day that this had all happened, and one of the basises that the decision had been made on was "If you offer something to some Californians, you must offer it to ALL Californians.". The State Supreme court decided that denying same sex couples the right to marriage violated the state constitution. So would this not mean the same thing on this issue of adoption?

EDIT: And thank very much Ausadriel ^.^

Aza.M

Legendary Trader
    Years
  • i'm sorry that i said my words of disrespect & i apologise to all the gay ppls out there

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    the only thing that stops gay marriage is people who dont understand thats the way some people are and it cannot be changed. its obsurd how a seemingly 'great' man or woman can suddenly be branded not so great once it is found out that they are homosexual. its a much more open thing nowadays and im glad of it, cos its about time human happiness came above abiding set designated rules that everything has to be a certain way. and gay couples shouldnt be denied adoption, it would save a helluva lot of hassle.

using the word gay to call someone is quite an immature thing to do, but i guess we all learn at some point. and anyway, something id like to add is, since when did the word gay become an adjective? lol

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • I personally agree with this legalization. Marriage and love should only be based on the love that two people share for one another. If two people love eachother deeply enough to get married, then so be it. Gay marriage restrictions were only limiting the amounts of happy lives in America. Though some particular religions and beliefs may reject gay marriage, it doesn't matter. The country is running on an equalized government, not a religion. If they wouldn't allow gay marriage then I certainly don't believe in equalization in America. This is just like black-white discrimination some time ago - it involves two parties, one party who believes they are superior to the other. America is aiming for equality, not another war. My opinion: California is headed in the right direction in this legalization, and I hope the whole country does the same.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Eh, Gay Couples only want the same tax benefits married couples get. Even then...
    Courtesy of N.A.R.T.H
    Gay male couples are 50% more likely to divorce within an eight-year period than were heterosexuals; and lesbian couples were 167% more likely to divorce than heterosexual couples.
    ...They don't stay together very long anyways.

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    I personally agree with this legalization. Marriage and love should only be based on the love that two people share for one another. If two people love eachother deeply enough to get married, then so be it. Gay marriage restrictions were only limiting the amounts of happy lives in America. Though some particular religions and beliefs may reject gay marriage, it doesn't matter. The country is running on an equalized government, not a religion. If they wouldn't allow gay marriage then I certainly don't believe in equalization in America. This is just like black-white discrimination some time ago - it involves two parties, one party who believes they are superior to the other. America is aiming for equality, not another war. My opinion: California is headed in the right direction in this legalization, and I hope the whole country does the same.

very well put clade :) are you a politician in disguise??? :shocked: lol

Xairmo

Years
  • Eh, Gay Couples only want the same tax benefits married couples get. Even then...

...They don't stay together very long anyways.
    I don't want tax benefits. Im only 16, I barely even know the basics of what a tax benefit is. All I want is equality and the same right to be with my loved one just as straight couples are allowed to.

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I'm not bothered my seeing men in a relationship. But I would never have that kind of relationship, I just don't believe in it. For other people, its fine, I'm not going to complain. But for me, I don't believe in that sort of relationship.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I don't want tax benefits. Im only 16, I barely even know the basics of what a tax benefit is. All I want is equality and the same right to be with my loved one just as straight couples are allowed to.
    Then I don't understand why you couldn't simply get a Domestic Partnership. You still get all the benefits of marriage, without being officially married.

I don't understand what the appeal of marriage is to homosexuals anyways. It's just a title, and in reality its exactly the same as a Domestic Partnership.

Xairmo

Years
  • Then I don't understand why you couldn't simply get a Domestic Partnership. You still get all the benefits of marriage, without being officially married.

I don't understand what the appeal of marriage is to homosexuals anyways. It's just a title, and that won't mean much of anything once you're actually married.

I can see your point, but I find the idea of creating Domestic Partnerships somewhat "dumb". Why did the government go and create something completely new when we could simply just get married? Just the fact that they separate gay from straight like that is slightly offensive.
    @The Bold: It's not simply about the benefits, screw the benefits! The fact is the gay community wants to be seen as equal to the rest of the country.

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    I don't understand what the appeal of marriage is to homosexuals anyways. It's just a title, and in reality its exactly the same as a Domestic Partnership.

surely marriage means the same thing to gay couples as straight ones?

Xairmo

Years
  • I'm not bothered my seeing men in a relationship. But I would never have that kind of relationship, I just don't believe in it. For other people, its fine, I'm not going to complain. But for me, I don't believe in that sort of relationship.

I can respect that kind of response ^.^

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I can see your point, but I find the idea of creating Domestic Partnerships somewhat "dumb". Why did the government go and create something completely new when we could simply just get married? Just the fact that they separate gay from straight like that is slightly offensive.
    @The Bold: It's not simply about the benefits, screw the benefits! The fact is the gay community wants to be seen as equal to the rest of the country.

Not to sound hateful, but a majority of this country does not want Gay Marriage, and you really should be a little more thankful that the government has provided something that allows two people to be partners without offending political and religious groups.

Xairmo

Years
  • Not to sound hateful, but a majority of this country does not want Gay Marriage, and you really should be a little more thankful that the government has provided something that allows two people to be partners without offending political and religious groups.

I am grateful for that, and I am EXTREMELY grateful for what happened on the 15th. The fact of the matter is the government should not and can not deny me my rights for being of a different orientation. Isn't this suppose to be the country where ALL men are equal? But I do suppose all men are only equal as long as man is actually a Man and not a woman, man must make a certain income, man must be of a certain race, and man must be of a certain sexual orientation to be equal? This whole "crisis" just shows how completely flawed and contradictory and even slightly corrupt our government has become. As for religion, it has no place in politics. Politics and religion should be kept to there respective topics.

Back