• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen May 16 Pokémon Sunday update: Battle Scene footage!

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    It makes it feel like a next step to the future of Pokemon, and it is, I think it fits nicely.

i know what you mean- and the fact that it runs so smoothly and faster than the previous gens battles- i think Nintendo and GF are pulling out all the stops with this one

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    I'm loving the change. This only makes me think though that Diamond and Pearl were just half-assed. It's still on Regular DS-(Most Current DS), so they could've put more into that.

I'm going to get this in both Japanese and English.

Mages4ever

Looking for a Challenge!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2012
    I don't like how they always sway.
    But other than that, this takes Pokemon to a whole new "level."

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • If you guys have read GameSpot or IGN's articles on the new Pokemon games, a lot of the criticism that comes from their community is about static sprites. Hopefully this will satisfy them. I think more movement is a great addition to the series, and I think Generation 5 will be the transition generation into a fully 3D game by the Generation 6.

I also hope what Serebii says about battles going faster is true. That has been a problem for a while too.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Woah im in love <3 It seems great!!!! I love the animations and the way the camra moves in and out!

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • I also hope what Serebii says about battles going faster is true. That has been a problem for a while too.
    I think we'll have to see how fast these battles go on Wi-Fi before taking that sort of dive. Though it does feel faster, how and where does Wi-Fi lag play a role?

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • It's really pushing the envelope on what we saw as Pokemon before, it's revolutionary and the next step as I'm concerned. Pokemon is evolving and in reality it might just be some nice eye candy but it really shows you the amount of effort GF put into this and how little things can make all the difference.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I think it's great, we've never had this before and it's better than the Pokemon just being motionless, it add's more of a realisic battle effect to the battle.

Hamilton

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    I think it's great, we've never had this before and it's better than the Pokemon just being motionless, it add's more of a realisic battle effect to the battle.

yeah, it makes the pokemon feel more alive

Hamilton

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    What do you mean "new" battle system? We don't even know if they've changed it yet. It looks relatively the same to me so far.

they obviously did if you watched it should be obvious

solaris knight

Phantom ESP'er
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2013
    I'm lovin' it. It adds life to the battle, and you feel more like you're part of the action with the adjusting camera.

Hamilton

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    The camera's moving; woohoo. It doesn't look like it affects the battle at all and the core mechanics still seem the same.

the pokemon move
    they are full body back sprites (mostly)
    the moves have better graphics
    the backgrounds are different
    Pokemon have shadows
    The HP bar looks different
    you can see through the text box
    that's all i noticed right away, but those are still changes

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010

the pokemon move
    Pokemon have shadows

I think what Kirbychu means is that the game mechanics (ie. damage calculation etc.) are the same. So really this thread should be calling it "battle graphics" rather than "battle system", since the actual system for battle is the same, only the graphics have changed.

Also I guess the massive amount of pixelation doesn't bother anyone?

Hamilton

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    I think what Kirbychu means is that the game mechanics (ie. damage calculation etc.) are the same. So really this thread should be calling it "battle graphics" rather than "battle system", since the actual system for battle is the same, only the graphics have changed.

and what i mean is the overall battle experience
    aka "the system"
    and it bothered me, but i'm sure it won't be like that on the final version

solaris knight

Phantom ESP'er
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2013
    I'm going to wait until we get more footage before making up my mind on that. Its only the outline of the sprites that seem to be the problem, though, so maybe it won't seem so bad when we have the game in our hands.

Years

• the pokemon move
    Pokemon have shadows
    None of that stuff affects the battle system though. Those are just pretty changes to make battles look better.

Surprisingly the pixelation doesn't really bother me, it's probably just that way because it's on a big screen.. A few of the sprites themselves could use some work, but they're probably just beta anyways.

Massai

Lesson The First
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    While I geeked out like a little kid last night when I first saw these videos, I think it's really the only legitimate place they could have gone with it, and it looks fantastic. Still, I find the title of this thread misleading, because this honestly has nothing to do with the battle system, it's only the battle animations.

Back