• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mediafire closing accounts in January 2021?

Years
    News is spreading that Mediafire is e-mailing out to people telling them that they will be disabling accounts unless some action is taken. Does anyone know the details surrounding this, beyond what is simply stated in the below tweet?

Spoiler:

Source: https://twitter.com/textfiles/status/1339625133363912706

Edit: meant to say this later, but it's likely that a few completed romhacks and romhacking tools posted by members here are uploaded to mediafire.

Years
    Has anybody said what the criteria for abandonment is?

I don't know how big the average rom hack is, but would it be feasible for the community to download any in danger of extinction, especially from inactive creators, and archive them elsewhere?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Wow, mediafire is still a thing?

Genuinely didn't even know. I thought the sopa fiasco killed stuff like that back in 2012. That being said... I don't know why they're doing this. Probably some business strategy to get people to come back after inactivity.

Years
    This mediafire link below was shared on PC's Discord. Apparently this is in line with their data retention policies that have been in place since May 2020... doesn't seem that shocking if their policies haven't changed since then.

Free unregistered accounts get disabled after 14 days.
    https://www.mediafire.com/policies/data_retention.php
    edit: and free registered accounts that aren't logged into for 8 months get their accounts abandoned.

Last edited:
    Years
    thanks for the heads up. i literally just used mediafire recently to upload my secret santa gift (bcs i don't know where else is a trusted site to host files). thankfully i still have my account password logged in bitwarden, so it's all good.

Back