• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Mega Kangaskhan WAY TOO OVERPOWERED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    I used to think Mega Kangaskhan was overpowered, but I have discovered a lot of counters.

Thundurus OHKOs it with Focus Blast and can easily survive a Sucker Punch (and can switch into Earthquake);
    Mega Aggron can OHKO with Superpower (although irritatingly it often leaves it with a few HP) and can survive two Earthquakes with defensive investment;
    Doublade with Eviolite can 2HKO with Sacred Sword and sometimes survives two Earthquakes (and can switch into Power-Up Punch and Return);
    Ditto with Imposter and Choice Scarf can beat it by spamming Sucker Punch (but can't be switched into it).

Thundurus is my most reliable counter.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Does PC have a different definition of check and counter? That's no joke, we need to know else we accidentally ignite a flame war.

In our book, a counter is at full health and can hypothetically switch into the target, also at full health, and beat it. A check can beat the target if given a free switch in.

Thundurus is not a counter. A 252 Jolly Return from Kangaskhan is a clean OHKO, Thundurus cannot safely switch in. He is no check either; while it is faster, Focus Blast is still only a 2HKO while Kangaskhan one-shot him without any boosts.
    Also, we are talking about Focus Miss, but that's irrelevant.

252 SpA Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 256-302 (72.9 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 325-384 (108.3 - 128%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Mega Aggron fares a bit better, which is not saying much. As you have said, Superpower often fails to OHKO Kanga but you also said Aggron would be able to survive two Earthquakes, ignoring the defense drops from Superpower. Kangaskhan however can setup PuP in front of it and OHKO it at -1. Aggron is neither a counter nor a check.

252+ Atk Mega Aggron Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 304-358 (86.6 - 101.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
    +2 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Earthquake vs. -1 252 HP / 0 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 342-402 (99.4 - 116.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO (clean OHKO with PuP beforehand)

Doublade is definitely not a counter. In the best case it can take two hits, one from switching in, another one while it fails to OHKO. However, is it a check?
    It is, although it requires maximum Atk with an Impish nature and that is assuming that Kanga is neither Adamant nor bulky attacking.

252 Atk Doublade Sacred Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 176-208 (50 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Eviolite Doublade: 138-165 (42.8 - 51.2%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO

Ditto never counters anything. Worse, you forgot to account for its low HP; it is 2HKOed by everything in Kanga's standard movepool, especially PuP.
    When you can bring in Ditto safely, never use Sucker Punch because Kanga can set up two PuPs in front of Ditto while your Sucker Punch fails to 2HKO.

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan (Ditto) Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 127-151 (36 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Power-Up Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan (Ditto): 129-153 (43 - 51%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO (clean 2HKO with the boosts)

As said, Sableye, Cofagrigus and SL Gourgeist are Kanga counters and none of them is reliable.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Does PC have a different definition of check and counter? That's no joke, we need to know else we accidentally ignite a flame war.

In our book, a counter is at full health and can hypothetically switch into the target, also at full health, and beat it. A check can beat the target if given a free switch in.

No, the definition is the same. But a lot of people use them interchangeably without realising there's a difference, and I was being a bit lax with my usage.

Thundurus is not a counter. A 252 Jolly Return from Kangaskhan is a clean OHKO, Thundurus cannot safely switch in. He is no check either; while it is faster, Focus Blast is still only a 2HKO while Kangaskhan one-shot him without any boosts.
    Also, we are talking about Focus Miss, but that's irrelevant.

252 SpA Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 256-302 (72.9 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 325-384 (108.3 - 128%) -- guaranteed OHKO

First of all, it is irrelevant to calculate damage for Return. Thundurus would only ever be switched into Earthquake. Otherwise it would be used as a check. A counter does not need to be able to switch into every move.

Secondly, I forgot to mention Thundurus has Life Orb, which guarantees an OHKO on a Mega Kanga with an offensive build.

Mega Aggron fares a bit better, which is not saying much. As you have said, Superpower often fails to OHKO Kanga but you also said Aggron would be able to survive two Earthquakes, ignoring the defense drops from Superpower. Kangaskhan however can setup PuP in front of it and OHKO it at -1. Aggron is neither a counter nor a check.

252+ Atk Mega Aggron Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 304-358 (86.6 - 101.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
    +2 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Earthquake vs. -1 252 HP / 0 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 342-402 (99.4 - 116.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO (clean OHKO with PuP beforehand)

To elaborate, Aggron would switch into a predicted Return in order to counter, unless it had already mega-evolved. And those calculations are misleading, since they assume Power-Up Punch has been used, which will not be the case usually. These are the correct calculations:
    252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 67-81 (37.8 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO [even better than I remembered]
    Power-Up Punch + Earthquake is possible if Superpower fails to KO, which I guess is what you were trying to say. In that case Iron Head followed by Superpower is perhaps a more reliable strategy. I'll have to try that out.

Doublade is definitely not a counter. In the best case it can take two hits, one from switching in, another one while it fails to OHKO. However, is it a check?
    It is, although it requires maximum Atk with an Impish nature and that is assuming that Kanga is neither Adamant nor bulky attacking.

252 Atk Doublade Sacred Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 176-208 (50 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Eviolite Doublade: 138-165 (42.8 - 51.2%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO

As I said before, it would only switch into Return or Power-Up Punch.

Ditto never counters anything. Worse, you forgot to account for its low HP; it is 2HKOed by everything in Kanga's standard movepool, especially PuP.
    When you can bring in Ditto safely, never use Sucker Punch because Kanga can set up two PuPs in front of Ditto while your Sucker Punch fails to 2HKO.

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan (Ditto) Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 127-151 (36 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Power-Up Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan (Ditto): 129-153 (43 - 51%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO (clean 2HKO with the boosts)

I said myself that it can't switch into an attack, so I was essentially calling it a check. I'll elaborate on the strategy behind Ditto, because I left it brief and it's actually not so simple.

Firstly, it is best to bring it in after Mega Kanga has used Power-Up Punch, because it copies the boosts. In this case, Return will OHKO the opponent while Sucker Punch will still only 2HKO you.
    If Power-Up Punch has not been used, then that's when you spam Sucker Punch. I have to admit, it requires some luck though, as it relies on landing a crit on one of your four hits. This isn't as crazy as it sounds though, since the chance of that is 1 - 0.9375^4 = 0.22752380371, i.e. 22.75%.

Ditto was more of an afterthought than a serious proposal for a counter, though.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    So out of curiousity, why is Return seemingly the default normal type move on everything? It only has a max power of 102. Wouldn't there be many other types of normal moves that are way better? (I'm asking because I'm debating on what to do with mine. I was briefly thinking of Facade which would have a max power of 210 vs the 153 Return would have (and if Mega Evolved for Kangaskhan, 315 vs 229) OBVIOUSLY it would depend on if they got a status ailment or not, and that was pretty much just the one example I was thinking of, but why is Return pretty much the only normal move anyone ever seems to suggest for anything? It's not THAT powerful (it's not weak, but there are stronger moves and when you trade the damage goes down to the default level anyway, so any time you trade that pokemon, you have to build up it's friend ship again in order to use that move, whereas any other move is at full power as soon as you get the pokemon)

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    So out of curiousity, why is Return seemingly the default normal type move on everything? It only has a max power of 102. Wouldn't there be many other types of normal moves that are way better? (I'm asking because I'm debating on what to do with mine. I was briefly thinking of Facade which would have a max power of 210 vs the 153 Return would have (and if Mega Evolved for Kangaskhan, 315 vs 229) OBVIOUSLY it would depend on if they got a status ailment or not, and that was pretty much just the one example I was thinking of, but why is Return pretty much the only normal move anyone ever seems to suggest for anything? It's not THAT powerful (it's not weak, but there are stronger moves and when you trade the damage goes down to the default level anyway, so any time you trade that pokemon, you have to build up it's friend ship again in order to use that move, whereas any other move is at full power as soon as you get the pokemon)
    Sometimes you'll see Frustration if happiness is still at the minimum. Otherwise Return is the best option. I don't know about you, but base 102 is pretty powerful. All the other normal type moves either come with recoil (Giga Impact, Double Edge, although Staraptor uses this one plus it has low distribution), or too situational (like Facade, although I have seen some people run Facade and status their own Kang in doubles).

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    Utilizing the speed I mentioned in the first post though, correct? (Your Lucario is faster) So, if you don't have a speedy fighting type power-hitter on your team or a quick sleep inflictor, I think you pretty much lose.

When a pokemon falls into the Uber tier, it's typically because there is only one or two ways to defeat it when using pokemon that do not also fall into the same tier.

Your method of victory falls into what I said in my first post.

For it not to be overpowered, there needs to be more than one or two ways to defeat a pokemon.

Prankster Whimsicott pretty much makes Mega Kangashcaun worthless, Spore and she's ready to be knocked out by any pokemon with a decent fighting type move, fast or not.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    No, the definition is the same. But a lot of people use them interchangeably without realising there's a difference, and I was being a bit lax with my usage.
    Thank you very much, we almost thought we might offend anyone seriously when inisting too hard on the definition.

However, we find your definition lax in a another way. Defining checks and counter should happen in a closed enviroment and under the assumption of every possible decision the opponent can make (accuracy is a decision, crits are not unless crit stage 3). When you start applying strategy to that you start to falsify the results by assuming that the opponent will always act as predicted - in which case you don't have even ground anymore. For example, the opponent will never spam PuP when they see Ditto in the Team Preview, that's why we will overlook that example.

Secondly, I forgot to mention Thundurus has Life Orb, which guarantees an OHKO on a Mega Kanga with an offensive build.
    252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 330-390 (94 - 111.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Combined with the shaky accuracy you roughly have a chance of 48.16% to beat offensive Kangaskhan. Thundurus cannot be Modest because it would lose the speed check in that case. A hypothetical battle at full health between those two is basically a coin toss, just that Kanga wins on edge, too.

From that we deduce that you are actually using Thundurus Therian.

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 367-434 (104.5 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It is still no counter because it will lose when it switches in PuP (+ Sucker Punch) or Return but at least it can check (Focus Miss still sucks, though).

To elaborate, Aggron would switch into a predicted Return in order to counter, unless it had already mega-evolved. And those calculations are misleading, since they assume Power-Up Punch has been used, which will not be the case usually. These are the correct calculations:
    252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 67-81 (37.8 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO [even better than I remembered]
    Actually, our calculations are accurate. Assuming they have even ground, Mega-Aggron will most likely fail to OHKO Kanga, which allows her to set up PuP. Then the calculation with Earthquake applies; she is faster and counting the prior damage from PuP it is a straight OHKO.

In that order:
    Kanga uses PuP
    Aggron uses Superpower (fails 87,5% of the times), Defense drop
    +2 Kanga uses Earthquake on -1 Aggron - KO

However, what you can do is Iron Head, then Superpower - in that order only.

Never underestimate STAB Return. 102 base power is not low; most moves with more than base 100 usually have nasty side effects like shaky accurracy or recoil. Not Return - at +2 with in the combination with Parental Bond it nukes everything that does not resist it.
    Facade is fine when it is activated, but unless is is you are stuck with a rather unimpressive base 70 move (imagine STAB 5th gen Hidden Power). Because Kangaskhan has to hold her stone in order to perform, this move is simply too unreliable. You either have to give up your Return or one of the coverage options which is unacceptable.
    Amusingly, you haven't mentioned Double-Edge. It is a base 120 move with recoil, which will definitely ensure that you won't kill more than two targets. +2 Return is already strong enough. It has slightly more immediate power but is unviable for setup sweeping.

Prankster Whimsicott pretty much makes Mega Kangashcaun worthless, Spore and she's ready to be knocked out by any pokemon with a decent fighting type move, fast or not.
    Whimsicott does not have Spore. In fact, there is no Prankster Spore - that would be totally broken in Singles.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday

It's because Return is by far the most reliable Normal attack of decent power to use. Most others are too weak or have adverse side effects. 102 is not bad at all. People use Flamethrower all the time, and that has a base power of 90. STAB Return is 153 bp.

The issue with Façade is that its rather weak without a status effect, and most Pokémon don't want to be statused (for example, a burn would basically nullify the boost Façade gets because the Pokémon's Attack gets cut). It works best on things with Guts or Quick Feet, like Swellow or Ursaring. Though why Return is mentioned more than Frustration, I'm not sure.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    It's because Return is by far the most reliable Normal attack of decent power to use. Most others are too weak or have adverse side effects. 102 is not bad at all. People use Flamethrower all the time, and that has a base power of 90. STAB Return is 153 bp.

The issue with Façade is that its rather weak without a status effect, and most Pokémon don't want to be statused (for example, a burn would basically nullify the boost Façade gets because the Pokémon's Attack gets cut). It works best on things with Guts or Quick Feet, like Swellow or Ursaring. Though why Return is mentioned more than Frustration, I'm not sure.

Actually in gen 6, the attack lowering aspect of burn is no longer applied when using Facade: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Facade_(move) And why would you use Facade BEFORE getting a status ailment? That's basically just telling your opponent what you're going to use so ofcourse if they know you have Facade they're not going to use it. If they don't know you have Facade, they're likely going to use a status ailment (likely burn hoping to lower your attack, but paralyse or poison are iable too) The difference between Flamethrower and Return though is that Flamethrower can be super effective against stuff and has an added chance of inflicting a burn, so using an average move that has added benefits I can understand. (So using Crush Claw that lowers Defense 50% of the time, or Dizzy Punch which can inflict confusion, or even Chip Away that ignores stat changes, I get those, but Return has no added benefit, is a straight attack and if the user is traded (or even possibly put into Pokebank, but that might just be a rumour) the strength of it goes back down to the default level as if you had just met the pokemon. to me, it just doesn't seem like that great of a move. However, Return is mentioned more than Frustration because it's way easier to get your pokemon to like you than to hate you, and even just walking around with the pokemon in your party slowly lowers the strength of frustration, so I get that one at least.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    However, we find your definition lax in a another way. Defining checks and counter should happen in a closed enviroment and under the assumption of every possible decision the opponent can make (accuracy is a decision, crits are not unless crit stage 3).

Perhaps this is the correct definition, but either way I find it bizarre. Half of the point of switching is to force your opponent to use a move that they would not normally choose against that Pokemon. I accept that it's not guaranteed that they will actually use that move, but it is unproductive to examine such unlikely cases. With such a ridiculous definition of counter, not only does Mega Kangaskhan have no counter, but neither do an awful lot of other Pokemon. I accept that we may have to just disagree on this one though :P

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 330-390 (94 - 111.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Actually, it's 75% chance to OHKO, assuming this is for Battle Spot (I guess you set the levels to 100 instead of 50?). I realised a while after I posted that I had forgotten to change Thundurus' Nature from Modest to Timid. Modest would have guaranteed an OHKO, but like you say, it needs the Speed.

Combined with the shaky accuracy you roughly have a chance of 48.16% to beat offensive Kangaskhan. Thundurus cannot be Modest because it would lose the speed check in that case. A hypothetical battle at full health between those two is basically a coin toss, just that Kanga wins on edge, too.

Taking into account what I said above, it's 52.5%, which swings it in Thundurus' favour. I accept Focus Blast doesn't have the best accuracy, but in situations like this, it's worth it.

Actually, our calculations are accurate. Assuming they have even ground, Mega-Aggron will most likely fail to OHKO Kanga, which allows her to set up PuP. Then the calculation with Earthquake applies; she is faster and counting the prior damage from PuP it is a straight OHKO.

In that order:
    Kanga uses PuP
    Aggron uses Superpower (fails 87,5% of the times), Defense drop
    +2 Kanga uses Earthquake on -1 Aggron - KO

However, what you can do is Iron Head, then Superpower - in that order only.

This is exactly what I said after I edited my post (which was still more than half an hour before you posted, so I'm not sure how you didn't see it, but anyway).

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Perhaps this is the correct definition, but either way I find it bizarre. Half of the point of switching is to force your opponent to use a move that they would not normally choose against that Pokemon. I accept that it's not guaranteed that they will actually use that move, but it is unproductive to examine such unlikely cases. With such a ridiculous definition of counter, not only does Mega Kangaskhan have no counter, but neither do an awful lot of other Pokemon. I accept that we may have to just disagree on this one though :P
    We not necessarily have to disagree; check and counter are very strict definitions and, most of all, purely hypothetical. It also means that we ignore set dependencies in order to be able to compare things - Mega Aggron can check a sweeper Kanga at full health but is screwed by support Kanga's Seismic Toss because of its low HP for example. Another one is that in Singles it is rather rare to keep SR out of the equation. This means that Thundurus will KO Kanga everytime Focus Blast hits while Sucker Punch and LO recoil is not enough to kill Thundurus. In return we also ignore that in a real battle it is almost impossible to bring in a Thundurus into a half way decent Kanga player that is not +2 unless you sack your ghost which is not an ideal situation. That's why people usually only do vanilla testing when discussing checks and counter because otherwise the data becomes uncomparable.

Thinking of that, maybe we should write an article about this concept when we have time. Sound funs

This is exactly what I said after I edited my post (which was still more than half an hour before you posted, so I'm not sure how you didn't see it, but anyway).
    Probably because we spent our time in the reply screen. Edit times aren't dispalyed there. We should drop it into the suggestion box eventually.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    In return we also ignore that in a real battle it is almost impossible to bring in a Thundurus into a half way decent Kanga player that is not +2 unless you sack your ghost which is not an ideal situation.

It's not "almost impossible". You could switch a Ghost-type into Power-Up Punch, and then immediately switch to Thundurus. That almost guarantees Earthquake being used, so you've essentially given yourself a free switch-in.

That's why people usually only do vanilla testing when discussing checks and counter because otherwise the data becomes uncomparable.

I understand vanilla testing, but there's vanilla and then there's water. You can take it too far and the test becomes over-simplified and meaningless.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    It's not "almost impossible". You could switch a Ghost-type into Power-Up Punch, and then immediately switch to Thundurus. That almost guarantees Earthquake being used, so you've essentially given yourself a free switch-in.

I understand vanilla testing, but there's vanilla and then there's water. You can take it too far and the test becomes over-simplified and meaningless.
    That's what we have meant with leaving the context out of the equation; as said, Team Preview works both ways. When you start to expect a certain behavior form the opponent the example becomes incomparable because you give yourself a subtle but significant advantage the opponents have no answer to because they need to act on railroads for you to have that advantage in the first place. You may think this kind of test is oversimplified and we see no inherent disagreement in this one, except we prefer simply 'simplified' over 'oversimplified'. You might not see the benefit of the vanilla testing when you only observe it from Thundurus' view but when you switch perspective, it becomes a lot more insightful - the Kangaskhan player knows that Thundurus is a shaky check, but still a check and will try to wear it down with SR. You in return know what the opponent might think and have to apply metagaming to that by keeping both Thundurus and the ghost (to prevent PuP) in tip top shape.
    Objectively, this scenario is still stacked against Thundurus and ghost (and SR) because they are reliant on two Pokemon in order to check only one. A more reliable check would be Terrakion who can survive a +2 Sucker Punch with half of its HP left (while nagging two Justify boosts) and cleanly OHKO Kanga with Close Combat.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    That's what we have meant with leaving the context out of the equation; as said, Team Preview works both ways. When you start to expect a certain behavior form the opponent the example becomes incomparable because you give yourself a subtle but significant advantage the opponents have no answer to because they need to act on railroads for you to have that advantage in the first place.

That's not quite true, since I take into account the opponent's expectations of me too. They may expect me to switch to Thundurus to avoid Earthquake, but no sane person would use that as a reason to use Power-Up Punch when the current Pokemon they're facing is Ghost-type (and there is no guarantee I will even have Thundurus on my team, bearing in mind this is 3 vs 3). There is no problem with including some context as long as the reasoning remains valid when thinking from the opponent's perspective too.

You might not see the benefit of the vanilla testing when you only observe it from Thundurus' view but when you switch perspective, it becomes a lot more insightful - the Kangaskhan player knows that Thundurus is a shaky check, but still a check and will try to wear it down with SR.

Stealth Rock is uncommon in Battle Spot Singles, since it's only 3 vs 3, which means it's not usually worth spending a turn setting them up. However, if this was 6 vs 6 I would accept your point.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back