• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mekakucity Actors

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years

MEKAKUCITY ACTORS

Shintaro Kisaragi, a HikiNEET who shut himself inside his room for 2 years, had been living his life normally until he met a cyber girl named Ene, who lives inside his computer. She appeared in his computer screen when someone anonymously sent him a mysterious e-mail one year ago. One day, Ene messes with Shintaro's PC which causes him to go outside for the first time in two years.

Shintaro goes to the department store, where a group of criminals break in and hold the people inside hostage for ransom. Here he comes in contact with a group of teenagers calling themselves the "Mekakushi Dan" (literally "Blindfold Gang"), who stop the robbery with their mysterious eye powers and force Shintaro into joining their group...

(Source)

Information

Episodes: 12
    Aired: Apr 12, 2014
    Genres: Comedy, Romance, Sci-Fi, Supernatural
    Producers: Aniplex, Shaft

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    Pumped to watch this. This, Akuma no Riddle and Black Bullet will stretch my 'watching' list to 11. :B

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    I've watched the first episode three times, and this is still confusing.

I like the main character, he gives off an Araragi (Bakemonogatari) vibe and he seems to work well with the crazy setting of the anime. The anime itself is very colorful and we get some nice backgrounds to see, not as colorful as say Nisekoi but still bright. It's primarily a set-up episode with a few cryptic scenes that introduces the main character and lead him to meet with the "Mekakushi Dan". So, it's not the most eventful episode.

I'll stick with the series, just to see how it progress. (also ene is so hnnngh.)

derozio

Years
    As of now, I've seen the OP and it looks + sounds good. :3 And don't worry, I went on its thread on MAL and the ones who've read the novel are saying that it is sort of confusing in the beginning. Will start making sense later. Although they're kinda dissatisfied with the budget, it seems. Don't like the not-so-bright art/animation, apparently. Whatever, I'll watch it in 5-6 hours. Will post my impressions then.

Reactions: Arc

Avadon14

Little Pocket Monster
    Years
    I actually REALLY like it.of course I've read the novel, Manga, and done research.

Though there are some things I didn't really understand (Not plot-wise, but more like choices in animating it (Like why Shintaro has a ginormous room when all he had was this in the manga
    Spoiler:
    )

I do admit, however, that it is probably a daunting task to understand it on the first go!

It's actually one reason i'm worried that It'll be so condensed to the point it won't make sense and just feel a bit rushed.

TwilightBlade

Years
    I also watched it three times when dorking around with the livestreaming. I understood it more by the end of the second episode. The protagonist is a social recluse and mysteriously gets the cyber girl. I think his room was so big in the anime adaptation for mere aesthetics...? The cyber girl and his computer are practically his world, and he is in his area of comfort.

Anyway, after spilling soda all over his keyboard, he's forced to go to the mall. Initially, I thought Shintaro was hallucinating or this was just SHAFT being SHAFT, but yeah, masked criminals took the bystanders as hostages for a pricey ransom.

Shintaro reminds me of Araragi from Bakemonogatari. Dramatic blowing-in-the-wind black hair and head tilts, everywhere.

I bet all three teenagers in the mall have special powers. The girl in the beginning and end with the red barrettes in her hair is very mysterious, too.

Those clouds looked awful! >:( I expected more than 12 episodes for a very hyped series, too.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Aaaah, I'd been waiting for this for some months after dabbling in the manga, and music, and light novels. In general, I was impressed with the anime. It gave me a new appreciation for Ene's character, and the whole thing was very cool to see. I think they could've dove the robbery scene a little differently, it felt less lackluster in the manga, but I hate being one of those people that compare a movie to a book too much, so I'll stop there. XD

The ending theme makes me excited to see a lot of what's to come. I think the anime will show a lot of the main things that happen, which originally I was worried it would skip a lot. I hope everyone who's just getting into it sticks with it, because it's a crazy ride - despite the fact that at first it seems like a boy talking to his vocaloid, and running into creepy people. lmfao

derozio

Years
    Copy/pasting my post from the DCC:
    me said:
    I watched Mekakucity Actors. Kinda underwhelming, to be honest. I expected much more from it. Especially in the visuals department. I can understand having a unique art style just fine. And I like it. But the animation team was just lazy. Now, I know it is a SHAFT work and they aren't exactly known for all-out fluid animation but instead for creative cuts and nicely drawn scenes. But I've seen Bakemonogatari and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Leaving aside the former as it was a high budget series, the animation even in the latter was much better. Here some scenes just looked low budget.

Plus, it was kiiiiiiinda boring. I'll be honest. But I'll still watch more of it. No Game No Life and Mahouka, so far, have been more interesting. Heck, even Gokukoku, the show done by those who made the dreadful Elfen Lied, was more interesting in its first episode for me.

derozio

Years
    I also watched it three times when dorking around with the livestreaming. I understood it more by the end of the second episode. The protagonist is a social recluse and mysteriously gets the cyber girl. I think his room was so big in the anime adaptation for mere aesthetics...? The cyber girl and his computer are practically his world, and he is in his area of comfort.

Anyway, after spilling soda all over his keyboard, he's forced to go to the mall. Initially, I thought Shintaro was hallucinating or this was just SHAFT being SHAFT, but yeah, masked criminals took the bystanders as hostages for a pricey ransom.

Shintaro reminds me of Araragi from Bakemonogatari. Dramatic blowing-in-the-wind black hair and head tilts, everywhere.

I bet all three teenagers in the mall have special powers. The girl in the beginning and end with the red barrettes in her hair is very mysterious, too.

Those clouds looked awful! >:( I expected more than 12 episodes for a very hyped series, too.
    is it weird that I understood all of that during my first watch? XD

zZJoennZz

What da!?
    Years
    To be honest, I am hyped to watch this. Not because I'm a big fan but hearing opinions from my peers online. However, I must say I expected too much and didn't met it but I'm not entirely disappointed. I kinda like what they did to Shintaro's room. And about the story, since I've read the manga, I kinda get it in one go.

I've watched most of the MV's of the music where this anime is based of with subtitles of course so I can vaguely see where this is going. xD

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years

You're not the only one here.

Anyway, I've been hearing about the manga, but never actually picked it up. The first episode is really interesting to me. I guess I should check it out when my exams are over. P:

Avadon14

Little Pocket Monster
    Years
    Check the studio... you will understand.

To be honest. I've apparently never watched a shaft anime! Well. witht the exception of this of course~

Anyway, I've been hearing about the manga, but never actually picked it up. The first episode is really interesting to me. I guess I should check it out when my exams are over. P:

I would suggest this 100%
    Though don't be upset if it doesn't sync up with the anime after the exposition of each. I'm pretty sure it follows the story of the novel which is different due to things you'll probably find out later into the novel/anime/manga~

It is a bit weird. because there are details that are purposely left out. they are going to presumably be revealed in the next episode. as in the manga and novel. they are revealed in the chapter with the same name as the episode.

Years
    The art style was a lot different than what I would have imagined based on the pictures that were released prior to the air date, but it's not completely terrible nor one of the best, in my opinions so I'll keep watching. Oh! But it does remind me Mawaru Penguindrum in certain ways because of the whole terrorist vibe in the first episode, and the little details in the environment. If anyone has watched that series, you'll probably know what I'm talking about because I probably am making no sense right now XD

TwilightBlade

Years
    Thoughts on episode 2:

Male protagonist is nowhere in sight, but it introduces a blonde student, Momo. She was alright, and I liked her interactions with the teacher. Typical SHAFT to break up scenes by showing flashes of a solid color. Orange, red, blue. Hm, what could it mean... For Bakemonogatari, I think it mostly showed red.

Momo never sees people in her imaginations or flashbacks, only inanimate objects. Tape recorders, flowers, and teddy bears. Poor girl hads no friends, and the scenes convey loneliness. I wonder what happened to her dad. :(

The environments have a sense of grandeur to me. They're over-the-top and ostentatious. A spiral staircase and lush garden near vending machines? Hmm.. As Avadon14 mentioned, Shintaro's room was ginormous compared to the manga panel. A huge room emphasizes their loneliness.

The girl that Shintaro bumped into at the mall seemed to have her eye on Momo. I'm hoping we learn more about the power of red eyes. :D

derozio

Years
    Putting this on hold. Doesn't interest me as much. And, between JoJo, Ergo Proxy and my soon-to-start GITS, I don't think I'll have the patience to sit through a show that mostly bores me. I'll pick it up once it finishes. Have fun, y'all!

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    Okay, look who just read the manga.

I would suggest this 100%
    Though don't be upset if it doesn't sync up with the anime after the exposition of each. I'm pretty sure it follows the story of the novel which is different due to things you'll probably find out later into the novel/anime/manga~

Okay, now that I've read it, you're right. It's not exactly on sync with the manga. I guess I have a lot of material to check out, eh? :'D

On a side note: Episode 2, I was at first confused what actually happened lol, what with the protagonist suddenly disappear from the scene. Still, I'm a sucker to confusing plots that makes no sense at the beginning, so this is still on my watching list.

Avadon14

Little Pocket Monster
    Years
    It is a bit weird. because there are details that are purposely left out. they are going to presumably be revealed in the next episode. as in the manga and novel. they are revealed in the chapter with the same name as the episode.
    Whoops, I realized that it was Mekakushi Code, Sorry!

The environments have a sense of grandeur to me. They're over-the-top and ostentatious. A spiral staircase and lush garden near vending machines? Hmm.. As Avadon14 mentioned, Shintaro's room was ginormous compared to the manga panel. A huge room emphasizes their loneliness.

Wow...
    That's actually pretty genius...

Okay, now that I've read it, you're right. It's not exactly on sync with the manga. I guess I have a lot of material to check out, eh? :'D

On a side note: Episode 2, I was at first confused what actually happened lol, what with the protagonist suddenly disappear from the scene. Still, I'm a sucker to confusing plots that makes no sense at the beginning, so this is still on my watching list.

It should come together next episode, then fall apart at about episode 5, then together at 8, and fall apart at 10, then who knows....
    I'm really hoping for this to be a trilogy of animes named after the three albums,
    Mekakucity Actors
    Mekakucity Days
    Mekakucity Records

If not it's gonna be supersmooshed together.
    If you need any help on what order to listen to the songs (if you choose to) then just ask!

TwilightBlade

Years
    I like this more now that episode 3 brought everything together. When they were all at the mall again, I totally called it, that it would actually tie into Episode 1. The terrorist attack isn't so random now. Shintaro got away that day because the Blindfold Gang helped in his escape.

I like how Momo went to the mall for the same reason her brother did: both of their electronics were ruined by a drink.

Kido's perfect, and Kano seems like a lot of fun~

Marry is an adorable fluffball klutz. I like her power to lock eyes with someone and freeze them. The scene also showed us that she can't use it on inanimate objects. Otherwise, she could have saved the glasses and pitcher of tea falling and/or save Momo's cell phone from falling into the pitcher of tea.

Episode 3 ended too soon for me, though!

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    As of episode three, this anime makes sense now. And, it also got really interesting.

Marry is also the most adorable thing ever.

Back