• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mewtwo, Genetically Created?

Water Gym Leader

Arlyn Aquos
Years
  • Okay so I was going through Mew's Pokedex entries and came across this from Emerald "A MEW is said to possess the genes of all POKéMON. It is capable of making itself invisible at will, so it entirely avoids notice even if it approaches people." So I got to thinking of Mewtwo and the Ditto theory. The Ditto Theory is that Ditto is a failed attempt at a clone of Mew, well what if it wasnt a failed attempt. What if Mewtwo's DNA was inside of Mew. When the scientist tried to create a better Mew they extracted the DNA of Mewtwo and created the first Mewtwo, since Mew's DNA contains the DNA of all Pokemon past, present, and future. Same theory applies to Ditto in the Ditto Theory. What do you guys think of this?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Gamefreak has already shut down the Ditto is failed clone idea. It was brought up during an interview and they said they had never heard that idea before. They liked it as it was creative, but the inspiration behind Ditto and its being is a simple smiley face such as :)

As for Mewtwo, they didn't extract any dna, they took a fossil and cloned the dna as it was then altered some parts to make Mewtwo stronger. It wasn't a selective thing, they took the whole and tried to improve upon it.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    What I want to know is how Mewtwo is in Pokemon Conquest.

Its a spin off that follows no Canon source since it is its own stand alone game series that does not connect to the Main game. The Main games do not acknowledge any of the spin offs that can and cannot interact with them. So they are all similar to being alternate worlds. Mewtwo is pretty much there because they wanted it to be there.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Yeah, if you know things about genetics, you can understand what they mean when they say Mewtwo was created from Mew's DNA. I don't think there are unique "strands" or something of DNA from every existing pokémon species inside Mew; rather, Mew's DNA possesses every ability and trait that other pokémon can have. So if you used the DNA of Mew, you can't just make any pokémon from them. You can make Mew. Or, if you edit the DNA a bit, a slightly different clone which is called Mewtwo.

Still I find it very weird that Mewtwo is labeled as #150 and Mew as #151. But that might be because the people in the pokémon world thought that Mew was extinct and hadn't even found fossils of it until the events of the games/movie (officially revealed at last, like with Kabutops and other fossil pokémon) so they didn't include it in the pokédex until after Mewtwo was already created. Mew isn't easy to obtain in the games, after all, while Mewtwo pretty much is.

I like the Ditto failed clone of Mew theory, so I'm a bit sorry that they shot it down :p

Thergox

Average Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2014
    Well, Ditto could very easily be a Mew squashed by a steamroller.

. . . Sorry, you guys already put all the smart evidence I would have put down. I had to say something stupid.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Yeah, if you know things about genetics, you can understand what they mean when they say Mewtwo was created from Mew's DNA. I don't think there are unique "strands" or something of DNA from every existing pokémon species inside Mew; rather, Mew's DNA possesses every ability and trait that other pokémon can have. So if you used the DNA of Mew, you can't just make any pokémon from them. You can make Mew. Or, if you edit the DNA a bit, a slightly different clone which is called Mewtwo.

Still I find it very weird that Mewtwo is labeled as #150 and Mew as #151. But that might be because the people in the pokémon world thought that Mew was extinct and hadn't even found fossils of it until the events of the games/movie (officially revealed at last, like with Kabutops and other fossil pokémon) so they didn't include it in the pokédex until after Mewtwo was already created. Mew isn't easy to obtain in the games, after all, while Mewtwo pretty much is.

I like the Ditto failed clone of Mew theory, so I'm a bit sorry that they shot it down :p

I think can actually explain why Mew was 151 instead of 150.

Bulba said:
    Mew was a little-known secret when Pokémon Red and Green were first released in Japan. Even Nintendo was not initially aware that Shigeki Morimoto had programmed it into the game.

Iwata Asks said:
    Iwata: But in spite of that sluggish start, things ended up turning around significantly. What do you attribute that to? Iwata Asks

Ishihara: I think one reason is the power of word of mouth. In 1996, people weren't writing their own Internet blogs, but word steadily spread about how much fun Pokémon was. In addition, I strongly felt that the power of the media, centred around CoroCoro Comic7, served to accelerate the growth in Pokémon's popularity. Finally, there was also the small matter of Mew, the Pokémon that Morimoto-san contrived as a kind of prank...
    7CoroCoro Comic is a monthly manga magazine aimed at primary school students first published in 1977 by Shogakukan. In addition to manga comic strips, it also features articles on hobbies and video games.

Morimoto: Well, I'm not sure if "contrived" is exactly the right word… (laughs wryly)

Ishihara: There's no denying that Mew's existence played an extremely significant role… Iwata Asks

Morimoto: We put Mew in right at the very end. The cartridge was really full and there wasn't room for much more on there. Then the debug features which weren't going to be included in the final version of the game were removed, creating a miniscule 300 bytes of free space. So we thought that we could slot Mew in there. What we did would be unthinkable nowadays!

Ishihara: This is in spite of being told after debug ended that you weren't to tamper with even a single bit! (laughs wryly)

Iwata: What's the point of going through all the trouble of the debug process if you're going to go and fiddle with the game afterwards…? I'd venture that this all came from Morimoto-san's mischievous nature.

Morimoto: Well, it was a prank that everyone right up to Tajiri-san was in on. But even though Mew was in there…

Iwata: …It wasn't actually supposed to appear in the game, right?

Morimoto: Right. Unless we could think about any good opportunity to do so, the existence of Mew wouldn't have been revealed to the public. It was left in there in case it was suitable for some post-launch activity. But if there wasn't anyone among ourselves who wanted to use it, I thought it would be fine to just leave it as it was.

Iwata: Mew could very well have ended up never appearing in the game.

Morimoto: Right. But then due to an unforeseen bug, Mew ended up appearing in some players' games. It looked like we planned all of this, but that wasn't the case. So although it caused all sorts of problems to many concerned, fortunately enough it ended up having a positive effect. Iwata Asks

Iwata: You can never predict how things are going to go, can you?

Morimoto: You really can't.

Iwata: That's how the "Legendary Pokémon Offer"8 came about.
    8The "Legendary Pokémon Offer" was announced in the April 1996 edition of CoroCoro Comic. Twenty winners would be selected who could send their game cartridge in so that the Mew data would be uploaded onto it. There were approximately 78,000 entrants.

Morimoto: Right.

Iwata: There was a really incredible response to CoroCoro Comic's announcement of the Mew offer. I feel that's really when things turned round for Pokémon.

Ishihara: I believe so too. The monthly sales we'd had up to then began to be equalled by weekly sales, before increasing to become three then four times larger.

Iwata: I remember feeling that I'd never really witnessed a game selling like that before.

Ishihara: By the time it ranked number one in weekly sales, more than a year and a half had gone by since the game was first released.

Iwata: It's like the way traditional enka ballads explode in popularity only about a year and a half after they've been released. (laughs) (Editor's note: Enkas are melodramatic Japanese popular songs depicting the emotions and experience of Japanese people, with its distinctive singing style using tremolo.)

Ishihara: That's exactly what it was like! (laughs)

Basically, Mew was never supposed to exist. One of the developers added it in last minute. Mewtwo would have been the clone of some "Unknown" Pokemon.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I think can actually explain why Mew was 151 instead of 150.

Basically, Mew was never supposed to exist. One of the developers added it in last minute. Mewtwo would have been the clone of some "Unknown" Pokemon.

I honestly never knew that. Amazing! Haha, they probably wouldn't be able to pull something like that off nowadays, no.

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2013
    The idea of Ditto being a failed attempt is fallacious, was disapproved by Nintendo as far as I remember, plus Mewtwo was created out of some fossil with mews DNA in it, my two cents ^^

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
    Years
  • I remember in Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen that they mentioned in one of the diaries in Pokemon Mansion that "Mew has given birth." I thought that Mewtwo was a genetically advanced Mew baby.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Let's not forget that there were two different Mewtwo in the anime (the one from M01 and Mewtwo Returns and the one from the Genesect movie).

I personally think it was genetically created from Mew's DNA.

Guest123_x1

Mewtwo is a mutation of Mew rather than it's own Pokemon stored inside Mews data
    Exactly. What Team Rocket's scientists did was extract Mew's DNA, then modified it to great extent to create a so-called "superclone", making a new, even more powerful Pokemon as the final product, which could then be used by Team Rocket to carry out their deeds. However, Mewtwo was so powerful that he escaped, set up shop on New Island, and, during the first movie, he lured several trainers, including Ash, Misty, and Brock, to the island, where he stole all their Pokemon, used a 'cloning machine' to extract their DNA and create "superclones" of the Pokemon taken.

Back