• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Microtransactions, lootboxes, and you

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    i've spent money on games i was really into at the time (mainly tf2) but i'm pretty much out of that phase now and havent engaged in any kinda microtransactions in years. i do think it's ridiculous that they've become accepted in full priced games though - tf2 is free to play and all the rewards are cosmetic or side-grades (not objectively better/worse). anything beyond that is way unethical imo

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
    I'm not even going to lie, I can't bring myself to enjoy console games any more than once or twice a month, when the fancy passes me. My purchases towards new games has dropped to zero while I steadily got deeper and deeper into gacha whale territory (mostly Fate/Grand Order). Mobile games are very easy to pick up and put down whenever I need to, and if I'm already spending so much time on them, why not splurge a little? My other hobbies don't cost me anything and my luck even makes my much more heavily-invested friends feel a little salty (to the point where I just keep things to myself now so I don't unintentionally upset people). All just a bunch of JPEGs at the end of the day, but I like to think of it as therapy shopping without the hassle of buying physical stuff I don't need and have it collect dust. Definitely not something for everyone though, and the predatory trap of it all is very, very easy to fall into, which makes me wish that governments would stop sitting on their hands and pass some actual regulations for MTX and lootboxes (more than the 'pity' system these types of games tend to have, 'guaranteeing' a roll after $1000s or more is spent).

Back