• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Middle East conflicts?

xCalierz

Don't look, it kills the irony
    Years
    Gaddafi is now using US and British journalists as shields. According to reports, Britain was ready to launch missiles on Tripoli, however, their plans were thwarted due to news crews nearby the targeted sites. Why those journalists risked entering a current war-zone is beyond me. The news organizations that sent them must have known the peril in sending their crew to Libya, namely Tripoli.

I don't think this should stop war efforts, to be honest.

Absolute dedication if you ask me, journalists are crazy.

Anyway, now that we've had this development occur, and the fact that the British government has approved an assassination order if it comes to it, then then it may end with a shot from a grassy (or sandy) knoll.
    Of course he may be dead, or may surrender, who knows in the western world?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I don't like Gaddafi. I don't really care if they execute him.

But....that's not why we're there I don't think. Mission creep is occurring.

We went from "no fly zone" to "justified" attacks designed to eliminate the weapons cache of Gaddafi and his supporters and give the rebels and even playing field once again. And now, we're after individuals and we have secret forces on the ground.

This will expand further and we will have ground troops. Mark my words.

Whatever movement or revolution was spreading across the mid-east I think now has been set back due to the level of involvement at hand.

Years
    It's happened in Egypt, Tunisia, Libya, Bahrain, Yemen and now Syria. Libya is so far the worst. Gaddafi should step down RIGHT NOW.

Doma Yuset

Banned
    Years
    Intervention was necessary to halt any further genocide and massacres. Mission creep is to be expected, but I highly doubt any NATO nation wants to be saddled with the responsibility of sending any ground forces and I doubt the rebels want foreign troops in there either.

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    The new news today is that the Libyan rebels have retaken the cities of Ajdabiya and Brega, a huge turning point (since for the last three weeks the rebels have been losing ground). This will help the international world realize that the rebels-who at least currently stand for democracy and human rights-have a fighting chance against the evil and merciless Gadhafi.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Syria's army is still cracking down on protesters sadly...
    Yemen's president refuses to step down as well...
    I wonder if Iraq will boil over eventually as well...if it hasn't already...

Years
    Syria's army is still cracking down on protesters sadly...
    Yemen's president refuses to step down as well...

Well, the possibility for that still exists, in all the nations of the middle east that have similar sociopolitical identitites. I certainly hope not though, Iraq needs to come to an end.

Years
    Magmaruby and Aquasapphire;6538695[FONT=Times New Roman said:
    ]
    [/FONT]
    It probbely won't because the Iraqi government is already moving in a democratic direction due to the US invasion in 2003.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    The Us has sent CIA members to the ground to gather info on Gadahfi's troops to weaken them...
    As for Iraq chaos could return to the nation (in an Egyptian or Bahrain style though) which would trouble the US and Europe seeing as Iraq has the second largest oil reserves in the World...

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12917315

Interesting to note that Moussa Koussa - the Libyan Foreign Minister (and awesome name holder) - has, in effect, fled from Libya to the UK. Apparently, he did so under his own free will but will not receive immunity from any prosecution that may be brought against him, probably for the Lockerbie incident all those years ago.

Still... is this a sign that the Gaddafi regime is crumbling from within, or just an unexpected outlier of an event?

Back