- Age 30
- Seen Nov 24, 2023
IntroductionSome of you might remember a hilariously awful hack from 2013-2014 named "Mirage Of Tales: A New Age Dawns". Inspired by my love of class-based RPGs and "Choose Your Own Adventure" books, I started the project after having just discovered ROM hacking, and was too excited to jump right in. Thus, there was next to no planning and I was learning how to hack (and making things up) as I went along, so naturally, it was simply horrible to play.
I removed the download links because the demos from 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2017 no longer reflect my standard of work now. The project has been started and restarted many times, first based on FireRed, then Emerald, and today it is based on the Pokéemerald decompilaton.
Over the years, I've been working hard to improve my skills in every aspect of ROM hacking and recreate my original vision. I filtered out what didn't work, and added what did. It's always been a solo project in the past but in 2020, mgriffin became my partner in developing the game. That's enough of a history lesson now, I think. Welcome to Mirage Of Tales 2.0!
Avlar is a peaceful country with a rich history, famed for its vast woodlands, rolling hills and towering mountains. You play the role of an orphaned eighteen year old who was lucky enough to gain a scholarship at the Pokémon Trainer Academy in Umber Valley, a quaint little town situated in what's known as the Ore District.
The day of your graduation comes, and it's time for you sit your final exam, get a job and go out into the big wide world with your Pokémon by your side. Which profession will you choose? What kind of person will you become? It's all up to you. Every decision you make has the potential to change the course of your experience.
CareersShould you want to, you have the ability to choose your own trainer class. Each different profession has its own distinct objectives, missions and storyline branches.
Choose wisely - you can only pick one!
The "default" profession, you are automatically granted this title on the day of your graduation. You'll have no boss to do things for and no HQ to report back to. If you'd like to play Mirage Of Tales the way you'd play a traditional Pokémon game, having freedom without constraints, this is the path best suited to you!
Like Trainers, these lone criminals are their own bosses. Trainers can obtain the Rogue title by committing small crimes or tricking people into getting what they want.
You have the option of joining the Avlar region's widely respected Ranger Union. Your duties as a Pokémon Ranger will involve protecting endangered Pokémon, taking care of the environment and helping those in need.
Join Avlar's Research team and become a Pokémon Researcher! You'll be doing field work or collecting all-important data for your Pokédex, and you'll even be whisked away to exclusive unexplored areas.
*Note: other Careers included in previous releases will be added later as expansions.
- Choice based gameplay; every in-game decision can alter the story in some way
- mgriffin's custom AI for battles
- Time & Seasons
- An alignment system; choose your character's personality
- Overworld wild Pokémon encounters like LGPE
- Houses you can own
- New Moves and Abilities, updated to Gen 7
- The Physical/Special/Status split and Fairy type
- Over 100 custom items and my very own Berries
- Custom regional variants for some Pokémon
- A regional Pokédex including our favourite Pokémon from all generations
- Custom sprites for Trainers/OWs and updated Pokémon sprites for a fresh new look
- Various quality of life changes, such as EXP gain upon Pokémon capture
- Many other secrets that I am not willing to spoil!
CreditsIf I have forgotten you, please let me know! I would never leave you out intentionally. Writing the storyline(s), mapping, scripting, trainer/OW/item sprites, general user interface graphics, and anything else not listed below was done by me.
- mgriffin - For more code related things than I could possibly count, helping me perfect the OW sprites, and generally being an absolute legend. If you see an amazing feature in the game - safe to assume it's because of him.
- Pret & all PokéRuby/PokéEmerald contributors - For the decomp
- DizzyEgg - Battle Engine Upgrade, Pokémon Expansion & Item Expansion
- Myself, Nex, Zeo254, Magiscarf, Hek, Flurmimon, Alistair, Chaoticcherrycake, ThatsSoWitty, Alucus - Tiles
- Myself, MGriffin, Princess-Phoenix, Kyledove, LarryTurbo - Pokemon OWs
- Ghoulslash - Sideways stairs
- Xhyzi - Dynamic OW Palettes
- animeoverlord - Unwavering support for several years, providing ideas
- Chaos Rush & MrDollSteak - The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource (Sugimori Palettes)
- DreamOrDestruction - Suggesting the title "Mirage Of Tales", which I would never have thought of by myself
- Tunak - Unwavering support for several years, providing ideas
- ranger016 - Suggesting the addition of the Ranger career and providing ideas
- The Discord regulars - we love you guys
CommunityOur Discord server is where we post weekly updates. Meaningful updates will be posted here, but if you'd like to follow day-to-day progress on MoT or chat about the game you would be more than welcome to join.