• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Missingno

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2018
    So hey guys I was looking around and I couldn't find a missingno board anywhere. So basically I'm going to download Red (super good deal 8 pounds on Nintendo E-shop) and I'm super worried that I'll encounter missingno and it will muck up my game. So anyways could anyone tell me what happens when you encounter missingno and if there is anyway to avoid coming across it/ how you do encouynter it. Also if you do meet it, is there a way to get away safely (e.g. run away) Also if there are any other glitches that can muck up your game that you might want to avoid could you let me know thnks. Sorry for the long post here's a bulbasaur. :t001:

Years
    To encounter Missingno, you need to talk to the old man in Viridian City who teaches you how catch Pokemon and let him show you how to catch a Pokemon. After watching him catch a Pokemon, fly to Cinnibar Islands and surf on that half-land half-water part east of the island. My file got erased when I caught Missingno so as long as you don't do the steps I mentioned, your game file should be fine.

Years
    fighting missingno requires that you talk to the old man that teaches you how to capture pokemon and then immediately fly to cinnabar island and surf on the edges of the town. missingno is harmless ALONE. that being said i mean alone as you just battle/capture it. when you do find it it causes your item in the 6th slot to be duplicated however your hall of fame data becomes currupted as a result other than that missingno is harmless as far as i am aware. i have actually preformed the glitch and have done item underflow and my game is fine.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2018
    Thanks guys! :) Just wondering if you speak to the old man then do something else e.g. gym battle then go to cinnabar island will missingno show up or is it only if you do things in that specific order? Also can you still fill up Pokédex without surfing on that spot. And if you run away can it still corrupt your save file?

Years
    Thanks guys! :) Just wondering if you speak to the old man then do something else e.g. gym battle then go to cinnabar island will missingno show up or is it only if you do things in that specific order? Also can you still fill up Pokédex without surfing on that spot. And if you run away can it still corrupt your save file?

1. I believe it still shows up, but initiating wild battles can affect what shows up on the shore.
    2. Yes, but you won't be able to do it yourself.
    3. It won't corrupt your save, but it'll duplicate the 6th item slot. (To 128 iirc)

Years
    Don't worry, be happy. You don't have to see Missingo if you don't want to.

1. You DO need to do things in a specific order for Missingo to show up. It may helpful to mentio that the old man in Viridian city with the coffee is an early game character. He is a simple tutorial about how to use a pokeball. You would not have any gym badges at this point, you have just gotten your starter Pokemon. Cinnabar Island is a late game location, the next to last gym. You don't have the HMs like Surf and Fly ncessary to get to Cinnabar Island. You are going to have a long journey with rival battles, 6 other gyms, visiting the safari zone, catching Pokemon, defeating Team Rocket, exploring dungeons and more between the time you encounter the old man and are able to access Cinnabar Island. Through normal gameplay you are not going to be able to maintain the sequence of events necessary to trigger MissingNo. This glitch is not something you will activate by accident. Even if you wanted Missingno you would have to fly back to Virdian City and do the tutorial again to set this up.

2. Yes, you can catch anything available in the game without surfing on the coastline. There is no special Pokemon there unless you count Missingno. There are just Tentacool there like on the rest of the surfing route. So yes, you can avoid the edge of the water if that is what you want.

3. No, Missingno CAN NOT corrupt your game if you run away from the encounter. I would deliberately encounter Missingno in Pokemon Red and Blue and do just that, flee or knock it out. This particular glitch is of a very stable variety, just seeing it does not freeze your screen.

Last edited:
    Years
    Okay, so here's why and when Missingno. shows up:

Firstly, and kind of obviously, every time you enter a new area, the game loads up the encounter charts for that area, for land encounters, Surfing encounters, and fishing.

However, generally, towns don't have wild Pokémon in them, so they generally don't bother updating the land encounter charts when entering most town areas.

When you speak to the old man and get the tutorial on how to catch Pokémon, the game actually changes your name to "OLD MAN" temporarily in order to display the proper message text in the demo battle. However, it needs to store your name somewhere so it can recall it once the demo battle is concluded, and the land encounter table isn't currently in use since you're in a town, so it stores it there. It restores your trainer name before you regain control, so there's no risk of losing it, and the encounter table values will just get overwritten with the appropriate encounter chart when you go to any area land encounters would take place, so there shouldn't be any problem, right?

Well, as we've been seeing for some twenty years now… not quite.

See, Cinnabar Island, like most towns, has no grass tiles, and therefore no defined land encounter chart. When you go there, the land encounter chart isn't updated, since there's nothing to update it to. However, the sea tiles just along the West coast, the final column of tiles in that direction before you exit Cinnabar Island entirely, are set to allow random encounters to happen, but not the expected Surfing random encounters. No, they're flagged as allowing land random encounters to happen, so they draw from the land encounter table.

Which hasn't been updated since your player name was stored there.

As a result, the game takes the numerical IDs of the characters you inputted for your name, stored in two-digit hexadecimal format, and reads them as wild Pokémon species IDs and levels, instead, which is why you get such bizarre and seemingly-random assortments of Pokémon when you do this, and why which ones you find are based on your name. However, rather than 0~99 as in standard decimal, the values represented by two digits in a hexadecimal numbering range from 0~255 (or 1~256), and there are only 151 valid species of Pokémon in RGBY. So, what happens when the game tries to load an encounter with a Pokémon with a species ID that doesn't correspond to any of those?

Missingno. is what happens.
    Or 'M.
    Or a number of other wacky glitch Pokémon you can find if you're really determined.

Missingno. and 'M, however, are actually relatively harmless. Aside from just generally being bizarre in nearly every way the Generation I Pokémon games allow for, the only glitches they cause are either beneficial—setting the quantity of the sixth item in your bag to 128 or 256—or purely cosmetic, like making your Hall of Fame data all weird. No such promises about the other glitch Pokémon, unfortunately, but thankfully none of them correspond to any value that matches any of the letters you can enter for your name, so you very much have to go out of your way to encounter them.

To assuage any concerns, there is no area where you can just encounter Missingno. or other glitch Pokémon randomly without doing anything special; any circumstances under which you would encounter such a Pokémon would be ones you have to deliberately set up.

Edit: Here's an excellent video detailing how and why the Missingno. glitch works with visuals and audio!~

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
    Okay, so here's why and when Missingno. shows up:

Firstly, and kind of obviously, every time you enter a new area, the game loads up the encounter charts for that area, for land encounters, Surfing encounters, and fishing.

However, generally, towns don't have wild Pokémon in them, so they generally don't bother updating the land encounter charts when entering most town areas.

When you speak to the old man and get the tutorial on how to catch Pokémon, the game actually changes your name to "OLD MAN" temporarily in order to display the proper message text in the demo battle. However, it needs to store your name somewhere so it can recall it once the demo battle is concluded, and the land encounter table isn't currently in use since you're in a town, so it stores it there. It restores your trainer name before you regain control, so there's no risk of losing it, and the encounter table values will just get overwritten with the appropriate encounter chart when you go to any area land encounters would take place, so there shouldn't be any problem, right?

Well, as we've been seeing for some twenty years now… not quite.

See, Cinnabar Island, like most towns, has no grass tiles, and therefore no defined land encounter chart. When you go there, the land encounter chart isn't updated, since there's nothing to update it to. However, the sea tiles just along the West coast, the final column of tiles in that direction before you exit Cinnabar Island entirely, are set to allow random encounters to happen, but not the expected Surfing random encounters. No, they're flagged as allowing land random encounters to happen, so they draw from the land encounter table.

Which hasn't been updated since your player name was stored there.

As a result, the game takes the numerical IDs of the characters you inputted for your name, stored in two-digit hexadecimal format, and reads them as wild Pokémon species IDs and levels, instead, which is why you get such bizarre and seemingly-random assortments of Pokémon when you do this, and why which ones you find are based on your name. However, rather than 0~99 as in standard decimal, the values represented by two digits in a hexadecimal numbering range from 0~255, and there are only 151 valid species of Pokémon in RGBY. So, what happens when the game tries to load an encounter with a Pokémon with a species ID that doesn't correspond to any of those?

Missingno. is what happens.
    Or 'M.
    Or a number of other wacky glitch Pokémon you can find if you're really determined.

Missingno. and 'M, however, are actually relatively harmless. Aside from just generally being bizarre in nearly every way the Generation I Pokémon games allow for, the only glitches they cause are either beneficial—setting the quantity of the sixth item in your bag to 127 or 255—or purely cosmetic, like making your Hall of Fame data all weird. No such promises about the other glitch Pokémon, unfortunately, but thankfully none of them correspond to any value that matches any of the letters you can enter for your name, so you very much have to go out of your way to encounter them.

To assuage any concerns, there is no area where you can just encounter Missingno. or other glitch Pokémon randomly without doing anything special; any circumstances under which you would encounter such a Pokémon would be ones you have to deliberately set up.

Well said and I'll add that all 151 Pokemon in Generation 1 have a Hexidecimal value such that you can force the game to give you a glitch encounter with ANY Pokemon you want(even Pokemon you couldn't encounter in the game naturally. Meaning you can acquire all 151 without Trading). Here's the hexidecimal list: Hexidecimal list. If you want to know how to do such encounters, PM me but as Topaz Light mentioned, you won't be able to carry out this technique until you reach Cinnabar Island(for Yellow version) or Fuchsia City(Red/Blue).

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    I love MissingNo.! I started with Silver, but decided to get Red after hearing rumors about it. I remember having a whole team of them named after various rumored "PokéGods" and these were the only side-effects I experienced:

• Sprites became scrambled after capturing MissingNo., but returned to normal after a while.

• 6th item in bag got duplicated by a large amount, so much that the game had to display the digits with glitch symbols. (It's possible to return this to a normal number by using or selling the item # of times, assuming it's not a Key Item or unsellable.)

• When viewing the Hall of Fame, most entries are glitched and some may lag or even cause the game to freeze when seen. (This is the only permanent side-effect I've experienced with MissingNo., but shouldn't be an issue since viewing the Hall of Fame isn't essential.)

I did have to reset one of my Red saves due to a non-MissingNo. glitch, though. If memory serves, I was on my way through Cerulean Cave to capture Mewtwo (or maybe I was on my way back from capturing it) when I decided to save the game and take a break. When I turned the game back on later, I was stuck on a rock!

I found out in recent years that saving while holding the D-pad can trick your game into thinking you're facing another direction, enabling you to do weird things like Surf on objects, so maybe I was holding the D-pad and triggered a similar glitch that somehow shifted me onto the rock? Whatever the reason, I'm still paranoid about saving next to inaccessible tiles to this day (even on modern games).

Last edited:
    Back